New to Mercury Motors with Questions

Just purchased a used 2004 XR6 150 hp. I plan on changing the lower unit oil, plugs and water pump, running a high concentrate of sea foam through it since it has been sitting up a while and a this point I don't know what ese I should do. Is there anything else that I may want to look at or do? Also, when I drop the lower unit for the water pump, are there any hidden connections that needs to be disconnected for removal? What plugs are recommended for this motor? And lastly, what oil should I run in this motor?
    Thanks

2. Member
    prem plus, BP8HS-10 should be ,no ser number cant check
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    There is probably a speedo hose in there you need to disconnect. And when I took mine lower unit off the mechanic told me i should put it in reverse because they sometimes have a tendency to jump in any way. You may wanna double check with a mechanic on that part for your motor. I don't think I am missing anything.

4. Banned
    Purchase a factory service manual.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Your 2.5L engine model is covered in the next forum down.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor