Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Right hand dominant, been using left handed reels for ever. But last couple of years after hours of casting I will start casting left handed to give my shoulder a break but continue to reel left handed. IMO hook set is the most important aspect of flipping or pitching. Along with accuracy of bait placement.

2. Banned
    I've only been bass fishing for about 9 years, so take that into account. This seems like a no brainer to me. If you are right handed, I would think you would want to use a left handed reel all the time. You don't have to switch hands, and the rod is in your dominant hand. Are there any advantages the other way? When I started, I wasn't used to one or the other, so it was easy to go lefty. On the other hand, if you have been doing it the other way for years, it may be hard to change.

I’ve been doing pretty well flipping with my left hand, not great at it but much better than I was this time last year. I tried the left hand reel years ago and like mentioned above the rod felt strange in my right hand.
    Try training yourself to use the other hand.
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

4. Member
    Right handed here. Use left handed reels most of the time and have for several years.

I want the rod in my strongest hand and am comfortable doing so.

5. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Squire View Post
    I just taught myself to flip with my left hand. Now, flipping with my right hand feels weird :) I am one of those that reels with the right hand for baitcasting, but left hand with spinning reels....go figure....
    That's me......I attribute it to the fact that the longer reel handle helps me with it.....the short stroke of a baitcaster I just can't reel it fast enough.....all my spinning reels are at least 6.2 to 1 at least.....

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hatcreek View Post
    Another right-hander who uses nothing but left-retrieve reels, here...

50+ year’s worth... just natural to me.

YMMV

i must be built backwards, i am right handed, but i cant flip worth darn with my right hand.

ive always flipped with my left hand, i never realized what the fuss was about until i realized most right handed people flip with their right hand.
    "The Green Machine!"

1998 ProCraft 200 BASS
    1998 Mariner EFI 200 HP 2.5
    4 Blade Trophy 24P

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by steve lacey View Post
    All my reels are left handed, I'm right handed and always want the rod in that hand, so no switching for me.
    Same here

9. Member
    All bottom contact baits reel LH, moving baits I use both.

10. Member
    I’ve never understood the whole hand switching thing with casters vs spinning. It makes absolutely 0 sense to me. Why would you ever want to retrieve with your uncomfortable retrieving hand?

or even more so why would you want to have to switch hands ever flip?
    06 Stratos 294 ProXL

11. Member
    Being almost completely ambidextrous is certainly nice. I have right handed bait casters and I have the handles on the right for my spinning reels. I cast, pitch or flip with my left hand. Never have to switch. I don’t understand reeling with the left on a spinning reel. With your left hand on the rod, the line comes around, you catch it with your finger and you’re ready to go. I’m not sure how I would cast if I had to cast with my right on a spinning reel. I seriously don’t know how people do it. I haven’t watched, I guess. Do you have to look where to stop the reel for the bail to be in the right place?

12. Member
    Thread kind of blew up on me lol, think I am going to pull the trigger this winter try a out a lefty combo.

13. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    It's really not that hard to lean how to do all your casting with your left hand if you reel with your right hand. I am right handed but bait-casting and fairy wand I reel with my right hand and cast,pitch,flip roll cast or do whatever I am presenting with my left arm. I use to do the cast and switch hand deal until one day I went to the lake and told myself I am going to learn how to cast and do all presentations with my left hand. It did not take long to learn how to present a bait with my left arm and I am glad I taught myself.

14. Member
    I'm a hand switcher with a baitcaster but reel left handed with a spinning reel. Just feels natural. Anyway, stopped by the pawn shop today and there was a pristine looking LH Curado on a Falcon Cara for 175 bills. Should I go back and buy it?

Quote Originally Posted by DL07 View Post
    I use both, lefty's for any flipping/pitching or bottom contact baits. Right's for anything moving
    This! I taught myself to use a lefty, with flipping feature, 25yrs ago. Love not switching hands.
    I got nothin

16. Member
    Me to I use braid so I get the line around the handle
    Luck favors the prepared ; Louis pasteur

I am Amby-dextros.....can use either hand to cast reel.

Use rightys, had leftys, but cane to the realization that when casting swtiching hans balaces the pressure on the body, elbows, shoulders. Casting uses the right side of the body working the lure works the left side. So I just pitch with the rid in the left most the time, change angles of attack with the right. More effective on cover.

I can’t set the hook holding rod in right hand. Right handed, but just feels odd to reel with left hand and set rod with right.

I do sometimes pitch/flip with left hand instead of switching. Honestly I switch hands during cast and not even aware I’m doing it, usually before lure hits water.

Quote Originally Posted by hatcreek View Post
    Another right-hander who uses nothing but left-retrieve reels, here...

50+ year’s worth... just natural to me.

YMMV
    G3 HP180
    Yamaha 115 4 Stroke

20. Member
    all my reels are LH

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast