Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question about big worms

Who all throws big worms in the 10 to 12 inch range? Do you catch just as many fish or mainly just bigger ones? If you fish them a lot, what’s your go to worm? I’ve never really thrown them much but thinking about picking up a few packs.

I throw a Zoom Ol'e Monster some in the summer on a couple local lakes that have bigger fish and where you always need a 4 pound plus kicker to get a top check.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

3. Member
    I throw 10-12" powerbait worms (red shad color) and catch nice bass with them. Mostly throw them in the summer months, texas rigged with my weight unpegged and bagging into a bead placed above the hook.

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)

4. Member
    We throw them frequently. The Berkley 10" Power Worm is my number one choice.

Seems to get bigger bites, but you'll still catch plenty of small fish.

5. Member
    In the late spring/early summer 10” worms can be very effective. I throw Zoom Ol’ Monster and Berkley 10” Power worms in Plum and Red Bug. Yes, they catch big fish, but it is surprising how small a fish will bite a 10” worm.

6. Member
    Don't start buying those. I have literally hundreds of bags, can't go to the store without getting another bag. Was catching all size bass on 10" power bait "cherry seed" couple years ago on a certain lake. Every time I went to tackle shop, I couldn't remember if I had an "extra" bag of those, couldn't find em just everywhere, so I would pick up another bag. Cleaned the boat out last summer in prep to leave it at the shop, found 6 bags of those Cherry Seed. If you do, red shad and black are good colors.

Throw them a lot. Honestly after you fish with for awhile they really don’t seem that big. Caught just as many small fish as I’ve caught large fish. Weirdest thing is to go back to a six inch worm. Feels like your fishing for pan fish.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suck my wake View Post
    Throw them a lot. Honestly after you fish with for awhile they really don’t seem that big. Caught just as many small fish as I’ve caught large fish. Weirdest thing is to go back to a six inch worm. Feels like your fishing for pan fish.
    If I’d of beat him to posting I’d have said this same thing almost word for word.

9. Banned
    If you want to see a big worm, check out the 16” Jelly worm, things a beast.

10. Banned
    Throw the 12 a lot during the summer but have a have a guy that make some 16in worms and I go through a lot of them during the right time of year, both my 14lbrs came on the big worm.

11. Member
    was it the mighty worm that Edwin Evers was putting on the Pumpkin Ed jig, it was a beast , I bet it and the head weighed 3 ozs , It took a special rod to fish it effectively
    1996 Javelin 409T DC /225 Johnson Venom

Quote Originally Posted by suck my wake View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. I threw one around the other day and then started tossing a 6 inch worm I had tied on.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Try throwing a Ned rig after fishing a 10 inch worm. Just seems wrong.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

14. Member
    You will be surprised at how small of a fish will eat a 10” worm.

15. Banned
    If you threw a 10-12 inch worm on the Ohio River you'd scare every fish in the creek... Dan

Been fishing the big worms going all the way back to the days of Fliptails big ol monsters.
    I throw mostly Lucky Strike Sneaky snakes and some Rage Tail Anacondas now.

Theyre great swimming weightless through lily pads and they’re a must have staple fishing deep, especially during the summer.
    And yes, you will catch small fish on them.

17. Banned
    I throw a 10”-12” worm quite a bit. Anymore it feels like a 10” worm is the “standard”. If your going to 7” your downsizing vice versa if you’re going bigger than 10”.

Summer, 10”-12” weightless around grass or Lilly pads

19. Member
    A Zoom ol monster in South African special is a go to in summer for me and catch plenty of smaller 2-3 lb bass on them.

20. idbefishing
    This Big Worm?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast