Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

St. Croix Legend Rod quality

I just received my St. Croix Legend Glass rod and during inspection i noticed that all the guide wrap was all crooked with overuns and you can see the threads. Is this normal for a St. Croix rod? For a $260 rod, I'm highly disappointed at the build quality and attention to details.

20190925_215256.jpg 20190925_215228.jpg 20190925_215152.jpg 20190925_215129.jpg 20190925_215103.jpg
    Last edited by kercha83; 09-25-2019 at 09:34 PM.
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

2. Member
    To me it looks like it’s where the tag ends we’re pulled back under, and maybe pulled too tight. At least there’s not gaps in the thread wraps like 95% of NRXs and Conquest rods at over double the price...
    Last edited by PikeRoadBassn; 09-26-2019 at 06:36 AM.

Fish won’t care! The trim wraps are pretty sloppy but I think the thread and blank color make the other wraps more noticeable, as that’s is pretty much just how it’s done.

4. Member
    It is pretty common to find this happen in just about any factory brand of rod. The only way to insure great attention to detail is usually with a good custom builder

5. Member
    I have had many many saint Croix rods over the years and unfortunately yes this is pretty normal. I have a couple Legend X rods and the guide wraps are not very impressive. St. Croix fit-and-finish has really never been that impressive. If you want immaculate rod construction top-to-bottom you have to go with Megabass. They look like Ferraris next to Croix and Gloomis.
    I come from the land of the ice and snow.
    YouTube: PunchFishing

6. Member
    I know fish dont care but for $260 I expect the fit and finish to be better. I just wanted to make sure I wasnt the only one getting a dud.
    But if this is normal for St. Croix then I will probably keep it since I like the rod.
    Quote Originally Posted by ridgerunner6901 View Post
    Fish won’t care! The trim wraps are pretty sloppy but I think the thread and blank color make the other wraps more noticeable, as that’s is pretty much just how it’s done.
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL

7. Member
    I agree with you on that one about the fit and finish on megabass rods, they are near perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by punch View Post
    I have had many many saint Croix rods over the years and unfortunately yes this is pretty normal. I have a couple Legend X rods and the guide wraps are not very impressive. St. Croix fit-and-finish has really never been that impressive. If you want immaculate rod construction top-to-bottom you have to go with Megabass. They look like Ferraris next to Croix and Gloomis.
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL

8. Member
    Yes that is typical for St Croix rods especially for the blue accent threads which hold no purpose other than looks. The threads ends you can see under the wrap is just from where the builder placed the ends. Could’ve went around once or twice more but literally had no impact on the rod. They are wrapped by hand, not machine like other companies. As a comparison, The Avid X has green accent thread and they leave it cut like that for aesthetic purposes. You can see where the thread ends are if you look extremely close but since the blank is black it hides it better. St Croix is the best brand I’ve used so far. I’ve had a few other companies where the thread tie would scratch you because they didn’t wrap it right.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

I think it looks pretty good IMO.

10. Member
    I gotta agree, those look horrible. The pulled under tag ends of the main wraps being that visible is more a product of thread color than it is of being improperly wrapped. The tag ends on the accent bands are ridiculous. That is just laziness in wrapping, as is the unevenness of the wrap ends. It doesn't take a lot of time to pack the end of wraps so they look straight. Those wraps look like they were done by a beginner.

I haven't handled many St Croix rods, and I've never looked at their build quality, but I am shocked to read that this isn't an extremely rare occurrence. What makes it even more surprising is that the rod is named Legend. Wow

Personally I'd be sending it back and I wouldn't send it back until they sent me a new rod that I could inspect. And the package had better include a prepaid return shipping label.

I own 12-13 St. Croix Rods from Premiers to Rage to Legend Tournament to Legend Elites. I actually looked them all over today and didn’t find a single one that looked anything like that at the wraps. Send it back. Call ahead, and tell them the problem. They’ll make it right.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

I have that same rod, I will take a look at mine tomorrow morning and see how mine looks....

13. Member
    i have many st croix rods from legend glass, legend tournaments, and legend elites and i do have two legend elite glass rods that are like yours on the threads where they looped the tag end of the wrap through. its only the legend glass rods all the other rods do not have that

What your looking at is craftsmanship, all our rods are hand made.
    The finish used on thread wraps for all St Croix rods is clear. Depending on series and blank color, you will certainly be able to see the thread wraps. On the Legend Glass the wraps are more visible.

Last edited by Lund1625; 10-01-2019 at 04:12 PM.

15. Member
    The build quality on a lot of factory rods leaves a lot to be desired. I fix a lot of rods and I'd say probably 30% of the time when I replace a guide there's another one or two that I remove and rewrap as well because it's not straight and it just drives me nuts. I also buy a lot of higher end rods that are broken so I can re-use the components for repairs, budget builds etc and some of the stuff I've seen on $300 + rods is shameful. One rod I remember in particular (over $500 retail price) had masking tape used as an arbor for the butt and grip. I was literally able to pull off the cork/foam butt and grip without damaging either. You'd think that for that price they'd at least have the components properly fitted.

16. Member
    I would send your pictures to their customer service and get feedback. If it is a defect they will make it right.

I personally would not worry about it and you will love that rod.
    Mike
    Ranger Z520
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lund1625 View Post
    The finish used on thread wraps for all St Croix rods is clear. Depending on series and blank color, you will certainly be able to see the thread wraps. On the Legend Glass the wraps are more visible.

Agreed sir. I’m blessed to be able to fish anything that exists. I’ve had a few pro staff offers by rod makers over the years but would rather buy St. Croix out of pocket than promote anything that I don’t truly believe in at a discount (some free). I won’t do it. Best testimonial I can give. I’m a spin guy and smallmouth are all that I fish. St. Croix are all that I own. As a Marine Corps veteran them being made here by blue collar folks in the series’ I fish means something. To me. My choice. Others choices differ and that’s fine by me. I cast no judgement on their choices.
    In Fisherman Midwest Finesse
    American Legacy Fishing Company
    Costa
    Jackson Kayak
    Nikko
    Pro Cure
    Rapala
    Simms

18. Member
    Probably get less bites cuz the fish will notice it to. As long as the rod performs fine you gives a shit

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lund1625 View Post

Lol.. so lazy/sloppy guide wrapping is "craftsmanship"? Nice spin.
    I come from the land of the ice and snow.
    YouTube: PunchFishing

Built on a Friday afternoon...like a lemon Chevrolet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast