Banned

Starter battery drain 2016 z18

My starter battery continues to die after being left in the boat. I have a 2 Bank charger for the trolling motor but no charge for the starting battery. I just replaced the starter battery after the last one kept dying while sitting in the driveway. Now my new battery has died as well after sitting idle in the driveway for a few days. I have checked in I’ve left nothing on that I can see. Anyone have this same issue or any suggestions ?

2. Member
    So why don't you charge your starting battery? I suggest you buy a charger for your starting battery. Or, replace your two-bank charger with a three-bank.

3. Member
    A lot of outboard motors have a parasitic voltage draw as well as some gps antennas and blue tooth devices. If you don’t have one it may be a good thing to install a master power switch so you can be sure all power draws are turned off.

The other thing that comes to mind is your motor’s alternator. Is it working correctly?

How long does it sit not used?
    Do you use GPS Graphs? which ones?
    Post your question on the motor forum of the brand you have. The experts will tell you how to test for draw.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by remaly181 View Post
    So why don't you charge your starting battery? I suggest you buy a charger for your starting battery. Or, replace your two-bank charger with a three-bank.
    I used the boat last Sunday with a brand new battery in it, after several hours and running graphs battery died on the water. I took the battery out and charged it, used it the following Sunday and it was dead again three days later.

6. Banned
    When it died on the water I hooked the cables to one of the trolling batteries and it started, when I detached the cables the engine died. I had to leave the cables hooked up to the trolling battery to keep the engine running.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tysdad View Post
    I used the boat last Sunday with a brand new battery in it, after several hours and running graphs battery died on the water. I took the battery out and charged it, used it the following Sunday and it was dead again three days later.

If that is the case and the new battery isn't a dud, then I agree with tdt91. Run this by the pros in the Merc forum. Jig Man is most likely correct with it being the alternator.

8. Member
    You will have to charge the battery between uses. At least charge it overnight prior to going fishing. From what you have described so far I can't really tell if you have a real problem or just aren't charging your battery properly. A 3 bank charger will make your life a lot easier. Also, let us know the the size of your cranking battery and what accessories (graphs) you have. Running large graphs on a small battery can completely drain your batteries before the day is over.
    Chris

2020 Nitro Z19 Pro w/ 200 ProXS

9. Member
    A battery not sitting at full charge WILL sulfate and cause battery to loose capacity and require early replacement!!!

The battery MUST be charged after every trip!

Nitro and some other boat manufactures only installed only installed a charger with enough banks too only charge trolling batteries and not the starting battery, on there base models boats, with an option to upgrade too multi bank for all batteries.

The idea was/is that the engine would keep the battery charged. That me be fine if you do nothing but drive your boat around most the time and little fishing and you did not upgrade from factory electronics and do not store your boat for long periods (month being long).

There is likely no issue with something draining the battery. Just a battery that has been continuously sat with less than full charge all the time.

Get a 3 bank charger and your problems WILL GO AWAY!!! And your battery will last much longer!! Will save you money in long run.
    Last edited by moetorola; 09-26-2019 at 11:54 AM.