Thread: Hunting trips

Hunting trips

Looking to take a 2 week hunting vacation to somewhere different (within the states). Hunting a big buck or bull would be nice just so it’s an area toward the north east. What has been the best y’all have gone to? Will be three hunters and my wife, 2 kids and my mother going as well. Just trying to get ideas on a good place and price to save up and get it booked now. Will be taking it in about 5 years.

2. Member
    I think the northeast will be tough unless you want to hunt a "pick a pet" shoot. Deer are not easy in New England. Moose you need to apply for a permit. You could do a bear hunt in maine then enjoy fall along the ocean and see some foliage.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by A Wood View Post
    I think the northeast will be tough unless you want to hunt a "pick a pet" shoot. Deer are not easy in New England. Moose you need to apply for a permit. You could do a bear hunt in maine then enjoy fall along the ocean and see some foliage.
    Sorry, meant north west. Been north east and can’t stand it. Would like to hunt elk. Been looking online but would like to know what route people have taken on here and there experience on the trip. Basically don’t want to spend around 5 thousand and ends up not being worth a dang

Public land elk hunting is tough in the northwest.. some of the toughest hunting in the country when you figure in low population densities, the exceptionally rugged terrain and the huge predator population. That said it is also very satisfying and memorable and if you do your part and you are luckier than your quarry you could end up with a very large bull. Some folks save up and go the private ranch option for higher success ratio, also a good guide outfit can shorten the learning curve and put you on the elk quickly, otherwise it can take years of learning the country and how to hunt elk effectively before you fill a tag. If success to you isn’t necessarily measured in hero shots or horns on the wall the self guided public land route will be cheapest and take you to some of the most incredible places on earth and also put you to and beyond your limits.

5. Member
    What about mule deer or moose? Just something different than whitetail? Really just trying to see where y’all may have been or would recommend.

Mule deer are cool, and they also inhabit some amazing country,tags are generally cheaper than elk. A good number of western states have good hunting for them and many areas you can get over the counter tags to hunt them. Moose are incredible animals that I would love to hunt some day but drawing a moose tag is the hard part. Antelope hunting might be something to consider as well.

7. Member
    Mule deer are probably going to be your highest success rate IMO. Moose are going to be very difficult to near impossible in the lower 48. Elk might work out if you can either find some on public land or can afford a guide on your budget. An outfitter will probably be too expensive.

One area you might consider is Flaming Gorge, WY/UT. I saw quite a bit of game (elk and mulies) around there

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS
    Do a speed goat hunt in WY. its cheep and almost a guarantee. A beautiful animal as well. You can hunt water hole,spot and stalk or setup on them.

It also wont break the bank.
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

9. Member
    Another vote for a Antelope hunt in Wyoming. My son and 2 friends just got back last week, 3 bucks and 6 does. Tagged out in 3 days and then trout fished for 3 days before coming home. I did it with them a couple of years back and it was a blast.