View Poll Results: hybrid striped bass vs largemouth bass pound per pound which one fights better?

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • largemouth bass

13 11.02%
  • hybrid striped bass (wiper)

105 88.98%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    hybrid strippers baddest fish I have ever hooked
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    Which one gets bigger?
    The sunshine may get a little bigger but their is not a significant difference between the two. The palmetto Bass was the original hybrid then they got creative and started crossing female sand bass and male stripers

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    hybrid strippers baddest fish I have ever hooked
    How much did that run you? Did you pay by the hour or did you pay for the girlfriend experience?

Quote Originally Posted by snooker View Post
    You do realize that I am likely to get more people voting in this section tho right? And am i really hurting anything, or are you just finding something to get upset about?
    Nobody’s upset, especially not Lew.

Have a laugh once in a while. Live a little.

5. Member
    Hybrids by far. Had them demolish chatterbaits, straighten hooks on swim jigs and destroy a Chugbug.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    Nobody’s upset, especially not Lew.

Have a laugh once in a while. Live a little.
    I actually suffered an injury which makes me physically incapable of laughter...

Quote Originally Posted by snooker View Post
    I actually suffered an injury which makes me physically incapable of laughter...
    My condolences.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    My condolences.
    ...I broke my funny bone

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbh78 View Post
    Hybrid, and it ain't even close.
    This.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    How much did that run you? Did you pay by the hour or did you pay for the girlfriend experience?
    good one

11. Member
    I catch 4lb - 6lb hybrids here, it's like hooking into a freight train. They hit the bait running, and the first 3 minutes of the fight you're just hanging on. Musky take the prize for worst fish to have in the boat with you, they go ballistic, after you think the fight is over.

12. Member
    Anything that ruins one of my lures goes home with me if legal. You break my bait, ya end up deep fried in batter. Well, except mudfish, always let them go because i would never eat one of those nasty things.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rakkc View Post
    Rebel Jumpin Minnow - chrome blue is the best topwater schooling bait I have ever used for wipers and stripers (been hucking it since I was 18 and fishing Lake Mead), smallmouth like it to but largemouth tend to ignore it and not sure why. They are cheap and walk the dog a bit different, than a spook or Sammy.
    That's weird, i've never met a topwater (with the exception of gimmick lures) that largies didn't like.

14. Member
    I catch a lot of Hybrids on Lake Hartwell, and Clark Hill every year. Yes, they put up a good fight. But so does a big spotted bass.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MYRX View Post
    I catch a lot of Hybrids on Lake Hartwell, and Clark Hill every year. Yes, they put up a good fight. But so does a big spotted bass.
    Never caught a spot myself, how do they compare to smallies?

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post
    For lures the Heddon Torpedo or Baby Spooks are what I use. Got a ton of them at a garage sale once. If they won’t hit those, I switch to a road runner type jig or slab spoon. Let it sink a couple feet and then crank like hell. Far and away the most funnest way to get them is on a 6 or 7 wt fly rod with good sized poppers or a clouser. I’ve followed surfacing schools of whites and hybrids until they wore me out.
    I love the heddon torpedo.

17. Member
    how does striper taste?

Interesting story to this one, I was in a big bass contest and caught my PB bass at 8.6 near a dock 2 days after the no keep date. APRIL 17 on a hair jig 8# XT. So I weighed and released. One year later on April 17th. Same spot I hook up, on a hair jig, and as I am fighting I am thinking its the same girl, mind was going balistic. I caught this, 11.4 hyrid. As for the fight, pretty similar, slowly mover deep, made strong long runs, then turned back. The hybid took longer, but the fight was not real quick surges just slow and strong. This was 96-97. No camrea for the bass, and had to rease, no cell back then.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    What a coincidence - I got into some schooling hybrids today on one of our community lakes (they stock them as fingerlings). There was a top water feeding frenzy for about 30 minutes, I caught them using a 1/4 oz Kastmaster. Not big ones, about a pound and a half to 2 pounds. Pulled hard for sure, and I'd give them an edge over the largemouth. But I have never had a hybrid or striper jump during the fight, largemouth will jump sometimes and do the headshake thing, which I think is pretty neat.
    I catch a lot of stripers at Lake Cumberland. Only one time have I seen a striper break the surface during a fight (have had many come out of water for a moment when initially striking a topwater).

20. Member
    I’ve been fishing for hybrids this year at night.
    They have straightened hooks, ripped hooks and split rings off lures and trashed a landing net.
    And I’m only putting maybe 50% of them in the boat.
    Its like hand to hand combat and fun as crap too.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast