View Poll Results: hybrid striped bass vs largemouth bass pound per pound which one fights better?

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • largemouth bass

13 11.02%
  • hybrid striped bass (wiper)

105 88.98%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    What a coincidence - I got into some schooling hybrids today on one of our community lakes (they stock them as fingerlings). There was a top water feeding frenzy for about 30 minutes, I caught them using a 1/4 oz Kastmaster. Not big ones, about a pound and a half to 2 pounds. Pulled hard for sure, and I'd give them an edge over the largemouth. But I have never had a hybrid or striper jump during the fight, largemouth will jump sometimes and do the headshake thing, which I think is pretty neat.

For lures the Heddon Torpedo or Baby Spooks are what I use. Got a ton of them at a garage sale once. If they won’t hit those, I switch to a road runner type jig or slab spoon. Let it sink a couple feet and then crank like hell. Far and away the most funnest way to get them is on a 6 or 7 wt fly rod with good sized poppers or a clouser. I’ve followed surfacing schools of whites and hybrids until they wore me out.

3. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Hybrid, and it ain't even close

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

4. Member
    If you give hybrid striper an edge over the largemouth then why did you vote 4 largemouth bass?

5. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snooker View Post
    what kind of topwater bait works best?
    if they are schooling and busting the top for shad it don't matter, they'll tear up mike's shoelaces..

but a big silver spoon will work real nice,, throw over them and let it sink several feet then reel in slowly under the swarm for the bigger fish.

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

6. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    If you give hybrid striper an edge over the largemouth then why did you vote 4 largemouth bass?
    who did??

7. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post
    A hybrid will run circles around a white bass.
    no it won't, pound for pound the wiper will win it but it aint a blow out.. you will however catch bigger wipers and more often..

8. Member
    what kind of topwater bait works best?
    Rebel Jumpin Minnow - chrome blue is the best topwater schooling bait I have ever used for wipers and stripers (been hucking it since I was 18 and fishing Lake Mead), smallmouth like it to but largemouth tend to ignore it and not sure why. They are cheap and walk the dog a bit different, than a spook or Sammy.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbh78 View Post
    Hybrid, and it ain't even close.
    True story
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

10. Member
    Not even close. This is a land slide

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lakefolk View Post
    who did??
    quillback. i think he meant an edge in pulling ability tho, not overall figting ability.

12. Banned
    Poll: Who thinks 'Snookums' can't get out of the 'Poll section'? We need to see hands to make it official..

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post
    Poll: Who thinks 'Snookums' can't get out of the 'Poll section'? We need to see hands to make it official..
    There's always gonna be that one jerk in every forum. I like to create polls, what's wrong with that?

14. Banned
    There's always gonna be that one jerk in every forum. I like to create polls, what's wrong with that?

Besides there is an entire forum for Polls and this isn't it?..

15. Banned

16. Member
    You do realize that I am likely to get more people voting in this section tho right? And am i really hurting anything, or are you just finding something to get upset about?

17. Member
    When you latch into a hybrid, you'll know it!

18. Member
    I'm gonna go after them this weekend, they are called sunshine bass here
    There are 2 types of hybrids

Sunshine Bass = cross between a female sand bass (white bass) with a male striper

Palmetto Bass = cross between a male sand bass( white bass) and a female striper

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by ntslam View Post

Sunshine Bass = cross between a female sand bass (white bass) with a male striper

Palmetto Bass = cross between a male sand bass( white bass) and a female striper
    Which one gets bigger?
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ntslam View Post

I always assumed that palmetto bass were just another nickname, thx 4 the info.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast