Thread: Black Lake

Black Lake

Looking for any information and possible info on Black Lake. Fishing it for the first time, so I would like to know best area to launch and general information on largemouth and smallmouth reports. Appreciate any local knowledge. thanks

2. Banned
    What time of the year are you planning for?

3. Member
    im goin there this Saturday. 9/28.

4. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    state launch on route 6 nice launch very wide. ample parking unless theres tournaments then it gets filled quick. Dash for cash was there 2 weeks ago heard fishing was tough... 2 buddies fished it that are pretty good sticks and had only (1) 3.8 smallie. Pretty shallow weed choked lake lots of bays. 15 inch limit on the lake for Bass, once was rated as one of the the top ten bass lakes in the country has fallen off alot since.. Chippewa bay is about 15 min or so from black lake id head there if it were me...

5. Banned
    I prefer fishing the southern part of the lake Conger island and areas around that part of the lake.
    I was there the same week last year with 9 guy's in our group and it was the slowest trip that we ever had. Water was like pea soup, never seen it like that before. Hopefully you do better than we did.

6. Member
    thanks for the info. good advice. really appreciate it.

7. Member
    Was there a few weeks back and the fishing was really slow. Water was green and had a lot of algae. Got several hits in the grass but only caught one. I agree with the others that right now the lake is tough and super shallow in spots.

Jeff Clark
    Bassman469

8. Member
    Been going there the 2nd week in Sept for more than 30 years. This was indeed the slowest fishing we ever encountered. Of course 3 different fronts came through that week which surely did not help. As someone mentioned (St Lawrence) Chippewa Bay is very close as is the launch in Morristown. Ogdensburg is 20 minutes away as well. With that said, Black is still my favorite lake anywhere. Being a challenge after all these years is what keeps me coming back.