I am retrogressing - I bought an old 2 stroke

I was at a local marine dealer (worked there for almost 5 years) and they had a 2005 Mercury XR6 s/n 1B118910 that looked brand new & they sold it new on a deck boat. Original owner traded it in on a Yamaha 4S. Extremely low (estimated at under 50) hours, still had the original spark plugs . Compression was 125-127 on all cylinders, still has oil injection, a couple of questions.

Besides fuel filter what else do I need to change? It will have new fuel line from the tank to the motor.
    Is Merc Premium Plus fine?
    What is the fuel cocktail that I have seen mentioned? - Link?

I am having a jet boat built and will put a jet drive on this motor.

It has been 20+years since I had a 2 stroke.

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. Member
    New spark plugs would be a good idea and water pump if not done in the last year. Basically would do what is recommended for yearly service. New gear lube would be on that list.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Premium Plus oil is fine.

87 Octane, 1oz Quickare + 1oz Quickleen (per 5 gallons of fuel).

I would make sure all maintenance is up to date- and be 100% certain that the fuel delivery system is in good condition (any fuel delivery problem is ALSO AN OIL DELIVERY PROBLEM). If even slightly in doubt, go through the carbs and then do a complete Sync-n-Link.

Inspect oil lines- give them the "look, bend, pinch and squeeze" test. Any lines that are opaque, brittle, cracked or hardened should be replaced.

Spark plugs, fuel filter and gear lube are a "definite".

Water pump would also be wise.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leonreno View Post
    New spark plugs would be a good idea and water pump if not done in the last year. Basically would do what is recommended for yearly service. New gear lube would be on that list.
    I had the dealer put new plugs in when I had them check compression. Don't need WP impeller or gear lube - see above -will put a jet drive on this motor

5. Member
    The FAQ at top of forum is full of great information.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

6. Member
    Don’t overtighten the cap on the oil tank under the cowling, it’s a 50 dollar mistake, don’t ask me how I know.