Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Running like a barge

I have a 2018 TRX 20 with a 250 Merc Pro XS. Rig came with 25 Fury prop. I simply can not get the front end of this boat up out of the water when running. High speed is only 59 mph turning 5100 rpms. The more I trim up, the bigger the Rooster Tail. Triton factory is of NO help.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. The rig does have a manual jack plate that was shipped with the boat and I haven't done anything to it. Do I need to raise or lower the jack plate? Run smaller prop, etc.

Thanks for your help.

2. Member
    You need to lower the motor and see if that helps. As info, I ran a 24 Fury 4 on the same combo.

3. Member
    What is your current prop to pad measurement?

4. Member
    Here's how to measure your prop to pad. http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=62660 Set it at 3" under to start with then you'll probably move it up.

5. Member
    Should be a easy fix to get the Boat to top performance. if you could Bring the Boat to Midway Arkansas we could check all Adjustments. Call the Factory and get a Appointment set
    870-507-6000 Bull Shoals lake is 5 Min away and fishing is Awesome

6. Member
    I have tried several times to get some factory support. A customer can't even get thru to the factory phone, all calls end in Springfield at White Water Marine with a nice lady saying, "sorry but we can't help. Please contact your dealer." I am sooooo disappointed in Triton I would just about take a huge loss to get rid of the rig. If it was a Bass Cat, I could pic up the phone and call Rick or Ivan and have an appointment in Mountain Home the next day.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Basscatmo View Post
    I have tried several times to get some factory support. A customer can't even get thru to the factory phone, all calls end in Springfield at White Water Marine with a nice lady saying, "sorry but we can't help. Please contact your dealer." I am sooooo disappointed in Triton I would just about take a huge loss to get rid of the rig. If it was a Bass Cat, I could pic up the phone and call Rick or Ivan and have an appointment in Mountain Home the next day.
    I highly doubt that it's a hull issue. It's either a motor issue or a setup issue. Based on your RPM's for the 25P Fury, you are either not getting full throttle or there is a problem with the motor. My fishing partner has a 20 TRX w/ 250 Pro XS 2S / 25P Fury and his rig can touch mid 70's.

8. Member
    Have you called your dealer? Triton unlike some companies supports their dealer network . your dealer should be able to check your throttle opening and motor heighth . Personally I would get rid of the fury and get a tempest .

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Basscatmo View Post
    I have an issue with seats on my 20 model and picked up the phone and Marty was more than helpful and is handling my situation, what your saying about taking a huge loss to get rid of it is silly. Simple adjustments to the jack plate is all you need to do and that’s what the factory would say as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TritonMan250 View Post
    I have an issue with seats on my 20 model and picked up the phone and Marty was more than helpful and is handling my situation, what your saying about taking a huge loss to get rid of it is silly. Simple adjustments to the jack plate is all you need to do and that’s what the factory would say as well.
    I agree that dumping it at this point does not seem like a great idea. It really doesn’t sounds like you’ve really done much to figure out the issue. FWIW, calling the dealer would have been my first step and would not have even considered calling Triton. When I needed warrently work on my truck, I didn’t call GMC.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    I agree that dumping it at this point does not seem like a great idea. It really doesn’t sounds like you’ve really done much to figure out the issue. FWIW, calling the dealer would have been my first step and would not have even considered calling Triton. When I needed warrently work on my truck, I didn’t call GMC.
    Well put, I actually called my dealer and 20 minutes later Marty called me. The OP’s problem is nothing more than lowering the jackplate. No need in all the drama about taking a huge loss and getting rid of it.

12. Member
    If you are sure the motor is opening up and it won't lift. Then I would lower the plate a 1/4" to start with and see if it improves. From my understanding Triton well the older ones like mine run better a little higher. The newer ones my weigh a little more so lower the plate for more lift.

13. Banned
    Same issue with my 2017 20 TRX. It came with a 25 fury which really is a 26. Motor is mounted in the 3rd set of holes and jackeplate is almost as high as it can go. My boat ran about 70-73 loaded with the fury but no bow lift.

I slung a blade on the fury so I bought a 25 tempest plus. Lifts the bow so much better, drives better, better ride which socked me. With the Tempest it runs 70-72. Still playing around with the plugs. Hole shot was bad with fury no plugs and the same with tempest. I have 3 large plugs in it now. Going to try two large, one open. The tempest def gets the bow up!

14. Member
    Having the same issue with a new 19TRX. Boat will not get passed 5700 RPMs with a 23 fury. Was told by a reliable source that triton no longer hand lays hulls, they use the chopper gun now and I may be bow heavy because of that.

15. Banned
    There had been many stories from reliable sources on here that turned out to be false, I have no idea about a chopper gun being used but dont always listen to reliable sources. Can you post your setup so maybe someone on here may be able to give you a little help?

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonMan250 View Post
    There had been many stories from reliable sources on here that turned out to be false, I have no idea about a chopper gun being used but dont always listen to reliable sources. Can you post your setup so maybe someone on here may be able to give you a little help?

I have done that in another thread. No help. Convinced it’s in the hull at this point and the reliable source is someone at triton.

17. Member
    Not sayin this is the issue but a lot of guys, and dealers, are trying to use 2s setups with 4s motors and those old setups don’t work anymore due to the torque and redesigned gear case on the new 4s motors.

Fury props don’t have near the lift or load carry like a Tempest plus. If you can find a 23 Tempest plus to try I think you will have better results also with a motor height of 3”-2.5” prop to pad.
    Last edited by DaveTTN; 09-29-2019 at 09:36 AM.

Remember, fury's do not run well with a heavy load. They run great with a light load but hole shot sucks with a heavy load. OP didn't say if he was running 3 blade or four blade, what jackplate, set back, hydraulic/manual, what his prop to pad is, heavy/light load. All this info would be very helpful to come to a helpful solution. BTW.......Two guys, full tank, live wells full & a lot of fishing equipment does not help the fury very much. The Tempest will lift better with a heavy load, fury with a light load.. But as most said on here, you probably do not have it setup properly. I would check the prop to pad before I did anything else. If that's good, check to see if the Pro XS is at full throttle. Didn't see that he was running a 4s.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTTN View Post
    Not sayin this is the issue but a lot of guys, and dealers, are trying to use 2s setups with 4s motors and those old setups don’t work anymore due to the torque and redesigned gear case on the new 4s motors.

Fury props don’t have near the lift or load carry like a Tempest plus. If you can find a 23 Tempest plus to try I think you will have better results also with a motor height of 3”-2.5” prop to pad.
    Mine and the 24p. I think 23p would be to small unless you are running a really big load. And I mean a few hundred pounds.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTTN View Post

My dealer told me the same thing. He said alot of dealers are stuck on the 2s setups and they just dont perform correctly on the 4s engines. Those of you running the tempest props are they out of the box or worked at all?
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast