Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Yamaha SHO vs Mercury V8

Has anyone that is familiar with the SHO been disappointed in the new Mercury 4s V8 in comparison? I have been in a few v8's and they seem to not get out of the hole and pull as good as the the SHO. Just wondering what everyone else thinks that has experience with both.

2. Member
    Yes, please tell.
    2019 Phoenix 819, 200 HP Mercury Pro Xs.

3. Member
    Are the SHO's you've been in broken in and the Merc's are not? Same boats I assume?
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

Too many variances, unless u run identical setups. I am guess ing close to the same. 1 of em prolly has a .2 second, MPH, MPG.... diff in whatever u want to measure.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

5. Member
    Yes, they have been broken in and propped right. Seems like the Sho pulls harder

6. Member
    I have been in my buddys boat for 3 years with a SHO and a few others as well, and have drove them as well...I repowered my Champion 210 elite with a Merc 4s ProXS and I am convinced that is one B@d @$$ engine. Bought in Feb and I know have 111 hrs on it and my hole shot has been out of this world....heck I can be cruising at 4k rpms and accidently push the hotfoot a little bit and i get pushed back in my seat from the G force. Love my mercury.
    2020 BassChamps Central Lake Belton 1st - Feb 2
    2019 Media Bass Individual Champion - Richland Chambers Sep 7-8
    2019 CAST Champions - Sam Rayburn Oct 19-20
    2011 BassChamps East Region Champions-Sam Rayburn Oct 1-2

2020 Bullet 21XRS 2020 Mercury 250 ProXS 4 Stroke
    Texas Realtor
    Helping Texans buy and Sell their Homes

7. Banned
    Could it be something as simple as the rake on the prop? Different brands, different angles.

8. Member
    Power similar in lots of ways. SHO gas mileage is great, 250R not so great...
    Blazer 650 PRO /Nizpro SC SHO

9. Member
    I’ve owned both. I like the new Merc better.

10. Member
    I have a buddy who has ran Sho's for a few years, he has his first Mercury now and he loves it, he said the sound alone makes it better, lol.

11. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Has the SHO shown that they are good after a few hundred hours? I know they have worked hard with the oil making issue??
    I have heard even after getting past the oil making they are having bearing issues and other related issue.

The Merc is still out on debate!! Just go with what you can get the most warranty out of.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory Legend View Post
    Has the SHO shown that they are good after a few hundred hours? I know they have worked hard with the oil making issue??
    I have heard even after getting past the oil making they are having bearing issues and other related issue.

The Merc is still out on debate!! Just go with what you can get the most warranty out of.
    Bearing issues were isolated to the early models. They updated the power heads and replaced a bunch on recall to fix it.

Mine sho has 100hrs on it and I've not had an issue yet. Stopped making oil at hour 5. I love it.
    I've not had a chance to drive a new merc so all I've heard is dock talk and I've heard both sides of the coin. 1 guy says it's a decent motor but not all everyone makes it out to be and the next guy says it's the greatest motor ever built.

I have not been disappointed at all in the new merc. I have a 250R and had a 2016 SHO. Both motors ran well. I don't have a apples to apples comparison exactly because they were on 2 different boats. The sho was on a heavier Sterling and this 250R is on a lighter Allison. That being said the merc has more low end torque and overall grunt than the SHO. Not night and day, but somewhat noticeable. I'm sure a % of this is the weight difference. It has not made oil the way my Sho did initially. Back to the OP first question, NO i've not been disappointed at all, the motor is a beast. That said I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Have a boat being built now and it's gonna have another merc on it for whatever it's worth.
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

14. Member

550+hrs and no problems so far...

Unless you have compared the two engines on the same boat then you're really not comparing the engines and can't arrive at any meaningful conclusion. And then, if it is just a seat of the pants thing its just a WAG and also not a meaningful conclusion either.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

16. Member

You're only about 7-8 years behind in the news

They both take a back seat to a G2

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    couldn’t give me one and your completely off subject.

Had both.......like my SHO. Gets on plane before you can say "gets on plane", LOL

20. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    please.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast