Anyone got pics of replacing ranger tandem trailer fenders?

I'm going to order a new set from ranger soon. I know I have to transfer the backs from the other fenders. I was thinking that was a process to drill out the old rivets and then add new ones. Some have told me to use bolts. Maybe I am thinking about it too much but wouldn't that increase the chance of scratching the hull? Just looking to see the process if anyone has pics or get advice here.

Also, do the fenders just bolt onto the trailer? I have not taken my old ones off yet.

Chris
    2005 Ranger Z21 2005 Mercury Optimax 250XS Serial#OT999281 25P Mercury Tempest +

2. Member
    I did this on a single axel trailer last year. I would get new backs with the new fenders. That’s what I did anyway and was glad I did. I used rivets on mine and it worked great. Just be sure to use long enough and big enough diameter to hold good. I used stainless instead of aluminum.

Fenders are just bolted on in several places.

The rivets will eventually loosen up, causing the fender to vibrate going down the road. I replaced the rivets with bolts and never had them loosen up in more than 10 years. Put a big fender washer under the bolt head. Then, when you tighten up the bolt, it will pull the bolt head and fender washer down into the carpet so they will not scratch your hull when loading the boat.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

4. Member
    My fenders did not have rivets they were bolted from under neath. lay on the ground and look up. the bolts will be where you would step on the fender to climb in the boat. you would use a screwdriver to keep the screw from turning and a wrench to turn the nylock bolt. should be just two bolts but my boat is a 2003. i will get you a pic tomorrow if you want me to just pm me. as far as the fender boards so i got tired of the rivets and went to ace hardware and got a bunch of STAINLESS steel nuts and bolts with washers and bolted the fender boards to my fender with those and they are nice and tight no play at all just get SS ones ok and you will be fine after that. I did it myself with no help at all if you have a buddy it will be nice. i got ones with a rounded head and uses a allen key so if the boat contacte it it wont scratch the boat.

Chris[/QUOTE]

5. mikesxpress
    Chris, as noted above, the carriage bolted attachment points from the saltine cracker Ranger fenders to the trailer is a PIA as the carriage bolt heads are located under the glued on step pads and they spin when trying to tighten/loosen them. While they look pretty for awhile, I would opt for stainless or aluminum replacements vs the glass on my Z21 when they finish cracking to the point they are unsafe.
    I've already lined up a local fab shop to build aluminum tread plate replacements with foot steps you can use without searching for them.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Chris, as noted above, the carriage bolted attachment points from the saltine cracker Ranger fenders to the trailer is a PIA as the carriage bolt heads are located under the glued on step pads and they spin when trying to tighten/loosen them. While they look pretty for awhile, I would opt for stainless or aluminum replacements vs the glass on my Z21 when they finish cracking to the point they are unsafe.
    I've already lined up a local fab shop to build aluminum tread plate replacements with foot steps you can use without searching for them.
    If I ever need to replace my fenders, I'm going the SS route. Glass looks good but they are a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    I have to do something this winter on my fenders. Mine are faded and scratched and really take away from the boat which is in really good shape. I’ve often wondered why Ranger doesn’t offer the standard metal fenders. I looks like an aftermarket fender would have to be custom made to work right. When you get it done please post some pics. I was thinking of having mine done with spray on bed liner.
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

8. mikesxpress
    The bedliner spray does sound like a good option but doesn't resolve the cracking issues or address the foot/step placement issues. I believe Ranger offered a metal fender option on the Intracoastal trailers at one time but I've never seen one with them.

9. Banned
    wet sand them an respray with clear gel coat, then re-clear, the clear is what cracks on most.