Thread: 396 with honda

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    You may need to go smaller pitch and turn more rpms 6300.Pull the pvs plugs also
    Last edited by TOUCH OF CLASS; 09-28-2019 at 05:03 PM.

2. Member
    What do y'all think a 23 rev 4 would do?

3. Member
    I also found a 24 fury 4 within driving distance

4. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    The 23 rev 4 was the fastest best handling prop I ever had ,only problem was hole shot as it took 8 pvs holes to get it to break loose on hole shot.Croxton worked it for us and it was a blast to drive.Have no idea what it would do on a Honda or if a 23 is too big might need a 21 and they are expensive to just try.

5. Member
    I got rid of the fury I had so I've got money to try a prop. Will the rev 4 give any stern lift? With these heavier than other brands engines maybe a little stern lift would cut some drag on the running surface and free up my steering to the left? I need to lift my whole boat not just the bow. I can get a good rev 4 23 for 350-375 so it and some prop work might be a worthy experiment. I always have the tempest to fall back on. What do you think?

6. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    The 23 rev is the same rpm as a 25 tempest.Hole shot even with 8 pvs holes was good not as good as the tempest.Yes it will lift the whole boat and that we could tell running over boat wakes at wide open as the boat never even touched the wake hardly.From 50 to 70 it was a blast to drive as it would set you in the seat.If the Honda won’t turn a 25 tempest to 6300 I don’t think it will turn a 23 to that either ,but it’s worth a try if you have the funds to play with.

7. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    The fury some guys like also We have not played with a 4 blade fury.

8. Member
    I could have it worked to loosen it up if you think it'd be a decent starting point. I was told (repeatedly, guess I'm hard headed) to plug all the holes in my tempest and I'd see a difference in holeshot performance on my honda

9. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    yes the 4 stroke don't have to have pvs as a rule.

10. Member
    A beat up 23 rev 4 with 4 solid plugs is a rocket out of the hole and only a 1/2 mile an hour slower than the 25 tempest plus. And it handles and rides much better. I really enjoyed the boat today. Im sure with a cleanup for nicks and sand scratches and a little tweaking this prop will absolutely get me where I want to be20191004_183307.jpg
    Got it super cheap. I'm sure there's a little speed in just a blueprint and refinish. Then the tweaking on top of that for more speed

11. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    The rev 4 we ran high it likes high 4 big blades will bite

12. Member
    It has a little slip at break over and turned 50-70 more rpm than the tempest. I think if I lower my jackplate a small amount it will hook up and my slip will go down from 10 to 7 like the tempest. I doubt it'll get less slip than that especially with the shape the rev 4 is in. It's a good prop for my setup and I feel confident that the speed is there to find now

13. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Yes Croxton worked ours and it gained about 2 mph and stayed right at the 5750 on the regular optimax and hit the limiter on the pro xs 225 which is around 6000.We sold that with a suv 210 so don’t have it anymore.

14. Member
    I'm excited to have the rev 4 cleaned up and worked for my setup. I like it a lot just after running it with no setup or changes to the prop

15. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Mark does great work but I have never had any luck with him working a Prop for a Honda.

16. Member
    As we discussed on facebook messenger I am dealing with similar issues. Running low has helped but not good for sure. Hole shot is still inconsistent and embarrassing for sure
    SEAGUAR

17. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    The rev 4 23 or 21 pitch could be your answer duff it has pvs holes to adjust and it’s a blast to drive it.I should of kept the one we had just for test purposes.I see about getting another so we can play with it.

18. Member
    I found out through advice that on a Honda you don't need pcs holes and if your prop has them they need solid plugs in all holes. That changes the holeshot completely. Robert I remember you said you had a 496 with a Honda but don't remember if you had a 225 or 250. If it's a 250 you should be able to swing a 25 tempest to 6000 or the 23 rev 4. I was told also that Honda's need to be run high to get rid of drag. I'm running very high and only get 7% slip with the tempest and 8% with the rev 4 so it's not bad running high. I've got an experiment in mind to try but it may be dumb so I'll try it before I comment on it

19. Member
    I've finally gotten mine where I'm not embarrassed by how it runs but it's still slower in my mind than it should be. There's a trick to these Honda's hiding somewhere to make them run closer to the other 2 big black motors. Unless Honda's just don't make any torque even compared to 2 strokes. If that's the case they'll never run close to the black Motor speeds. I'm going to try to find the trick simply because I enjoy tinkering with boats and I've always been able to make my others run very well

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Charger396 View Post
    I've finally gotten mine where I'm not embarrassed by how it runs but it's still slower in my mind than it should be. There's a trick to these Honda's hiding somewhere to make them run closer to the other 2 big black motors. Unless Honda's just don't make any torque even compared to 2 strokes. If that's the case they'll never run close to the black Motor speeds. I'm going to try to find the trick simply because I enjoy tinkering with boats and I've always been able to make my others run very well
    With all the motor mods being done on the Honda/Acura cars, there has to be a way to get more power out of any of the v-6 models??

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast