Building an AR questions.

I want to build an AR, I have the lower receiver and would like to know what all parts I need, and the best places to buy them. I am looking at building the new 350 Legend. Never built an AR obviously, would just like some input. I reload, so the new cartridge doesn't bother me.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

2. Banned
    Too many variables to answer properly. Price point, quality, etc. For the lower you'll need a lpk and stock kit w/buffer and spring. Probably easier to get a complete upper for something like that, but if not, you'll need an upper receiver, bcg, charging handle, barrel, gas block, gas tube, and fore end. Sights or optic. All of this has variables. (Upper with or without forward assist and dust covers, etc)

3. Member
    As for places to buy parts... I like this place and its not too far from you......

https://www.jsesurplus.com/

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catchatoad View Post
    As for places to buy parts... I like this place and its not too far from you......

https://www.jsesurplus.com/
    Thanks, never ran across them before.

5. Member
    As far as places to buy....Palmetto State Armory, Brownells, Midway USA, Right to Bear, Primary Arms, etc.

The easiest thing for a newbie is to buy a lower parks kit. It will give you all you need to finish your lower out. Then you can buy an upper and piece it together or you can buy an already dressed out upper. In most cases you can't build a full upper for what you can buy one for but if you just want the experience and ability to buy exactly what you want I get that. In building an upper you will need: upper receiver, dust cover, forward assist (unless you go with a slick sided upper which is what I would do) barrel, charging handle, bolt carrier group, gas tube with roll pin, gas block (proper size for you gas block journal), hand guard (I suggest a free float that comes with barrel nut and wrench adapter like Midwest) and what ever muzzle device you want with a crush washer for it.

You will also need a few tools such as a bench mounted vise, non-marring hammer, vise block, pin punches, castle nut wrench, and a torque wrench. I've been through AR15 armorers class a couple of times and built/worked on a bunch of them if you have any questions feel free to ask. There's a couple of things that can be a bit tricky at first but I'm sure there's plenty of videos on youtube. Brownells does lots of videos too and you can rest assured they are done by someone that knows what they are talking about. I'm not sure what they have on the AR15 but I'd be surprised if they don't have a few. Good luck and have fun.

6. Banned
    Delta Team Tactical has inexpensive parts, but the quality is on par with the price.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Junkie View Post
    As far as places to buy....Palmetto State Armory, Brownells, Midway USA, Right to Bear, Primary Arms, etc.

The easiest thing for a newbie is to buy a lower parks kit. It will give you all you need to finish your lower out. Then you can buy an upper and piece it together or you can buy an already dressed out upper. In most cases you can't build a full upper for what you can buy one for but if you just want the experience and ability to buy exactly what you want I get that. In building an upper you will need: upper receiver, dust cover, forward assist (unless you go with a slick sided upper which is what I would do) barrel, charging handle, bolt carrier group, gas tube with roll pin, gas block (proper size for you gas block journal), hand guard (I suggest a free float that comes with barrel nut and wrench adapter like Midwest) and what ever muzzle device you want with a crush washer for it.

You will also need a few tools such as a bench mounted vise, non-marring hammer, vise block, pin punches, castle nut wrench, and a torque wrench. I've been through AR15 armorers class a couple of times and built/worked on a bunch of them if you have any questions feel free to ask. There's a couple of things that can be a bit tricky at first but I'm sure there's plenty of videos on youtube. Brownells does lots of videos too and you can rest assured they are done by someone that knows what they are talking about. I'm not sure what they have on the AR15 but I'd be surprised if they don't have a few. Good luck and have fun.
    Thanks for the nice reply. I want to build a fairly simple AR, not for the price, but for a hunting rifle to be light and simple. Do you buy your parts from one place, or will different vendors match fairly well, as long as they are a similar style?

8. Member
    Most parts interchange. There are exceptions. Some buffer tubes are incompatible with stocks and some parts require a specific milled receiver set but most everything is compatible.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by okhawg View Post
    Thanks for the nice reply. I want to build a fairly simple AR, not for the price, but for a hunting rifle to be light and simple. Do you buy your parts from one place, or will different vendors match fairly well, as long as they are a similar style?
    I shop around and get what best suits my needs/wants. It's a little easier when you've owned a bunch of different configurations over the years and you know what you like and what works good. My main rifle is a Frankenrifle LOL. It's made from parts of several different manufacturers and it functions 100%. Most all AR15 parts are going to interchange with the exception of commercial buffer tube versus mil-spec tube. They will both work with any receiver but the commercial tube body is a larger external diameter and needs a stock that will slide over it properly. You can also have different length gas tubes depending on which length gas system you are going to build off of either, pistol, carbine, mid, or rifle. I'm told the AR10 platform can be a little more tricky but I've never built an AR10. There's not a true "standard" for the AR10 so some parts might not interchange. However, with an AR15 you do have a standard and you shouldn't have any issues unless you just get an oddball part or something.

10. Member
    Bear creek arsenal has a couple of 350 legend complete uppers for under $300
    2010 Xpress X21TS. 250 proXS
    2015 1860 grizzly. 40 Merc 4s

11. Member
    Thanks for the replies. My son ended up with an extra AR and sold it to me for my lower. I just have to get the barrel and some mags.