Ned rig vs shaky head

I’m sure this is a dumb question for most of y’all but what is the difference in a Ned rig and a shaky head? Both look very similar to me.
    Last edited by yandeltx; 09-24-2019 at 07:18 PM.

To me, they're the same, one is just smaller. I'm sure others will say differently. I use some ned baits on shaky head jigs. But I'm not a fan of the small jigs. JMO.
    I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.

3. Member
    One is an open hook on light tackle while the other is usually weedless and requires a lil more power to drive the hook.

Shakyhead you're fishing with a 5-7 inch worm (sometimes bigger, I guess) rigged texas-style on a jighead. If you rig that same worm on a regular jighead open, it would technically be a jigworm, something that's been around forever and has caught a ton of fish.

Ned rig generally is using a 2.5-3" fat Elaztech bait like a Z-Man Finesse TRD or half of a ZinkerZ with a small hook to bring out the subtle action and a lightweight jighead for a slow-falling natural action.
    The three things that make it unique are the light jighead (1/20 to 1/10 range), the short, fat and buoyant Elaztech bait rigged open, and the six ways it can be retrieved (Google Midwest Finesse retrieves). Now I'm just talking about Ned's original intent and method.

Of course, some guys use heavier jigheads to get down deeper or faster, and some guys use traditional plastics. There are tons of variations out there now, of course, that will catch fish.

From years of fishing and talking with Ned and reading his weekly logs, the little rig will outfish a shakyhead many, many days. We've fished them side by side. He typically fishes 4 hours and aims to catch 25 fish/hour which is tough to do. Granted the size of the fish may be smaller, on average, but it does catch some big ones too. His personal goal has always been to get numbers of bites, not big ones.
    There's a time and a place for both the Ned rig and the shakyhead.

5. Member
    This is all good information. I appreciate everyone taking time to respond. I can see where each would have its advantage.

I say the main difference is in the technique...which is driven by the weight of the head. With a Ned rig, you want it as light as you can possibly fish it. It's a no-feel technique, and that's what makes it special. If you can feel the bottom, you're using a head that's too heavy.

If you use a heavy Ned rig which is what I think most bass fishermen who want to feel everything will do, you're basically just fishing a shakey head.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    I say the main difference is in the technique...which is driven by the weight of the head. With a Ned rig, you want it as light as you can possibly fish it. It's a no-feel technique, and that's what makes it special. If you can feel the bottom, you're using a head that's too heavy.

If you use a heavy Ned rig which is what I think most bass fishermen who want to feel everything will do, you're basically just fishing a shakey head.
    So a 1/10 Ned head is too heavy because I can feel the bottom!? All those fish I’ve caught in the last year seem to disagree.

The main difference for me is the size of the presentation. Like stated above a shakey head tends to be twice as big and is basically fished like a Texas rig. I know different combos are possible, but baitcaster/mh rod versus spinning/medium is how I look at it. I didn’t use a spinning reel until I started throwing a ned and now it’s hard for me to throw anything else!

Quote Originally Posted by King31 View Post
    So a 1/10 Ned head is too heavy because I can feel the bottom!? All those fish I’ve caught in the last year seem to disagree.

The main difference for me is the size of the presentation. Like stated above a shakey head tends to be twice as big and is basically fished like a Texas rig. I know different combos are possible, but baitcaster/mh rod versus spinning/medium is how I look at it. I didn’t use a spinning reel until I started throwing a ned and now it’s hard for me to throw anything else!
    Only if you think a shakey head doesn't catch fish?

The question was about the difference, not whether you had to fish it exactly as it was intended to catch a fish on it. That's the difference to me, and to the fellow who it's named after. You can fish a small shakey head, people do it all the time. You can fish a big Ned rig, people do it all the time. You can Texas rig a Ned rig, or fish a shakey head with an exposed hook, too.

Here's a link from the company that made it famous that gets at the same thing, specifically #3: https://zmanfishing.com/cms/chatter/...d-rig-mistakes

And here's an article written by the man himself that talks about the different retrieves, note how important the light weight of the jig head is for these, and how different the technique (Midwest finesse) is from fishing a shakey head (what he calls power finesse): https://www.in-fisherman.com/editori...trieves/153946

The money quote from the second article:
    The most important feature of the six retrieves revolves around the concept that we call no-feel. That means we cannot feel what the jig-and-soft-plastic combo is doing or where it is during the retrieve. This is the antithesis of the way power anglers experience their retrieves. Often newcomers to Midwest finesse tactics find the no-feel retrieve to be so disconcerting that they quickly give up and resort to using what we call power finesse tactics. In order to feel their baits, power finesse anglers work with 1/8-, 3/16-, and 1/4 ounce jigs.
    Last edited by DrewFlu33; 09-26-2019 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Add links
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

9. Member
    To say what Drew is saying slightly differently, the most effective way for me to fish the ned rig is to kind of drift it along and above the bottom. Shakey is on the bottom and hopped/dragged/shaken.

I fish the Shakyhead a LOT and the Ned not very much, but to me, the Ned is something fish often hit on the drop, while I don't get that happening with the Shakyhead. I can fish the Shaky in a bit more wind and/or deeper water, so that's also different. If it's flat calm, then I pull out the Ned rig, even in 20'-30'.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

11. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnybass View Post
    To say what Drew is saying slightly differently, the most effective way for me to fish the ned rig is to kind of drift it along and above the bottom. Shakey is on the bottom and hopped/dragged/shaken.
    I disagree... a NED should be on the bottom... not floating above. The difference is the JIG and BAIT!

12. Member
    [QUOTE=Pokie Pa;10558036]I disagree... a NED should be on the bottom... not floating above. The difference is the JIG and BAIT![/QUOT

Well, I guess you disagree with Ned Kehde too. He lists the "swim, glide and shake" first when he lists his favorite ways to fish the ned rig:

"Throughout this retrieve, we try to keep the lure swimming slowly from six inches to one foot above the bottom. The glide component comes in when we stop turning the reel handle and allow the lure to pendulum towards the bottom. We commence the swim when the lure is six inches off the bottom"

I'm guessing that is the reason for fishing the lightest possible jighead and using a buoyant trailer.
    Last edited by johnnybass; 09-30-2019 at 09:25 PM.

13. Member
    My favorite way to fish them. Drives me nuts just letting it soak. Problem is and mentioned by Ned is the total lack of feel with the light weight.

[QUOTE=johnnybass;10559286]
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokie Pa View Post
    I disagree... a NED should be on the bottom... not floating above. The difference is the JIG and BAIT![/QUOT

Well, I guess you disagree with Ned Kehde too. He lists the "swim, glide and shake" first when he lists his favorite ways to fish the ned rig:

"Throughout this retrieve, we try to keep the lure swimming slowly from six inches to one foot above the bottom. The glide component comes in when we stop turning the reel handle and allow the lure to pendulum towards the bottom. We commence the swim when the lure is six inches off the bottom"

I'm guessing that is the reason for fishing the lightest possible jighead and using a buoyant trailer.
    Nitro z21

14. Member
    To solve this disagreement let's call them both SLIDER FISHING...

oe

15. Dogfish_Jones
    I have found in my personal experience that I catch the vast majority of bass on my Ned rigs off the bottom. I throw it out, let it sink to the bottom and SLOWLY drag it back in. I may throw a hop in just to mix the retrieve in but 90% of the time it drawing it across the bottom.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogfish_Jones View Post
    I have found in my personal experience that I catch the vast majority of bass on my Ned rigs off the bottom. I throw it out, let it sink to the bottom and SLOWLY drag it back in. I may throw a hop in just to mix the retrieve in but 90% of the time it drawing it across the bottom.
    What little i’ve fished it i‘ve found the same thing. i’m also fishing it deep & at night. A lot of times the boat is sitting in 50 or so feet of water& I can’t get bit on a jig or shakey head. Lots of small ones, but i’ve had some good smallmouth too.

17. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokie Pa View Post
    I disagree... a NED should be on the bottom... not floating above. The difference is the JIG and BAIT!
    Y'all do not READ what I said... NOT FLOATING above the bottom!! I do hop it, and drag it some BUT on the bottom!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogfish_Jones View Post
    Winter time around here and that is how you want to fish it. I'll swim it when the water is warm. One thing for sure, there is no one size fits all.

19. Banned
    My favorite way to fish a ned is to just cast out and let it drift. My best day with a ned was exactly a year ago during the first big cold front of the year. Had 40mph winds blowing directly into this little pocket. I'd cast out and let it drift on slack line, reel up and have a fish on the end. Couldn't feel a thing but I loaded the boat on that one spot