Repower question for older Ranger

Thinking about possibly repowering my 04 521 next year. My question is for both Merc and Evinrude, regarding the key touchpad, can I sill use this or would a new ignition switch/pad installed? I tried contacting two different dealers regarding rigging, options, etc. etc. and they seemed clueless on the repower process and make rigging an outboard sound like this horrible task. My money is good anywhere so any decent dealers on the east coast that have a clue, merc or rude, that you would recommend contacting about a repower?
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    You can still use the touchpad that is in the boat now. We have a couple of good Evinrude/Mercury/Ranger dealers here in Ohio.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    JoePa - I would think you can find a new Rude, but getting a Merc has been a big issue for re-powers. I think you will be pleased with either motor.

Fourstroke is the future and mine will run circles around a 2 stroke. Your welcome to try it out if you would like
    Ryan Bauman 2022 Ranger 520R 250 Mercury ProXS Fourstroke

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishing122 View Post
    Fourstroke is the future and mine will run circles around a 2 stroke. Your welcome to try it out if you would like
    Lol

I'm leaning more towards a Rude but won't rule out a Merc if it cost less to install.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

7. Member
    I live in Oklahoma and recently took my 06 Z21 to Jet-A-Marine in Kentucky for a new G2 250 HO, replacing my 225 etec. Happy with their work, plus I called them several times while I was trying to decide and they were good to answer all my questions. I know a guy in your area did the same thing after I did because he asked me how mine went then kept me posted on his new motor install. My keypad worked with new motor.

8. Member
    250HO G2 IMO

Little distance from you but they are Platinum Cert and have/sell alot of them.

https://www.thayersmarine.com/
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

9. Member
    Evinrude G2 sweet powerful motor.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blkfalc4 View Post
    250HO G2 IMO

Little distance from you but they are Platinum Cert and have/sell alot of them.

https://www.thayersmarine.com/
    I agree with this. I bought my boat from them and they move a lot of product and at one time were leading Evinrude sales I think for at least repowers.
    2017 Ranger 518 w/ Evinrude 150HO G2