Mercury Extended Warranty

What is the general consensus on extended warranties for Mercury 4 stroke motors? I have both a 115 Pro XS CT and a 60 CT. Both motors currently have 3 years of platinum + 2 years of gold for a total of 5 years. I can extend that another 3 years, but have several options on types of warranty. The big difference between gold and platinum are electrical components from what I can see. I am leaning towards extending the warranty on the 115, but was hoping to get some alternate opinions. Thanks everyone.

2. Scraps
    I extended mine primarily for resale. I don't tourney fish anymore so don't necessarily beat my boat. Warning, it ain't cheap to extend.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

3. Member
    gold isnt worth the paper its written on. get platinum. if anything outside block causes it to blow, warranty wont cover new powerhead with gold.

4. Member
    Seems like the max available Platinum was about 1000, maybe 1200? That’s buying straight from Mercury on my 2017 115 ProXS 4S. Make sure you do all the suggested routine maintenance and you should be golden. I did the first two years maintenance myself, bought the materials at the selling dealer so there was a paper trail. This year was the big service, third year. I had the dealer do it. It was 750.00. That one hurt KNOWING well over half the cost was labor at 100 an hour.

I dont plan plan on selling my boat, but I’ve sold a bunch of them in the past. That warranty and proof of routine maintenance is indeed Platinum come resale time!!

When I sold my Triton tin w the 115 pro xs...having the 5 years platinum was a help for sure...for me that motor was a tank for the small amount of hours I put on it.

6. Member
    I am looking into buying a V8 four stroke. I was told I could get an 8 year warranty for 2,850 bucks. That might sound like a lot, but have something happen after the 5 year warranty runs out and see the cost. The thing I do not like now with the motor companies is this. On this shallow Delta with all sorts of aquatic grasses, I have never owned a motor where I did not get a temp warning once or twice a year. I watch my temp and pressure and catch it most of the time before the alarm sounds, stop and clear the lower unit. The temp alarm is set down enough to prevent any damage as long as you stop and check things. This past year, several guys here were denied warranty on blown engines due to multiple alarms in the motor computer history. One guy took his motor in after an alarm just to get it checked and serviced. The dealer told him he did not hurt anything with the alarm, all was good. Ten months later he blew the motor, and Mercury denied the warranty. Had a guy just had this happen with Suzuki. If they do that to me, I will never buy one of theirs again. This purchase will probably be my last big motor. My next rig will probably be a tin rig with a 90 to 115 four stroke on it.

7. Banned
    Better off saving the money in case a repair is needed. On car extended warranties approx 80% is pure profit, only 20% is actual repairs that were ever needed. I imagine the pricing model is the same on boats.

8. Member
    I have no intentions to sell this boat anytime in the near future. There will be other big purchases before a new rig. To have 8 years of platinum would be about $1100 extra while 3 more years of gold would be about $775. The price doesn’t seem all that bad with all things considered.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    Better off saving the money in case a repair is needed. On car extended warranties approx 80% is pure profit, only 20% is actual repairs that were ever needed. I imagine the pricing model is the same on boats.
    On cars I tend to agree, but that depends on ones financial situation. I have bought them on some and don't have extended warranties on either vehicle or the bike we currently own. I DO have one on the outboard. Mainly because the cars rarely transfer over to the new owner...you get a very small portion back when or if you trade them. The outboard warranty goes to the next owner as long as it checks out at an authorized dealer. That's a HUGE selling feature if someone needs or wants to sell. If you want to see just how much we pay for these warranties in the prices of these things look no further than the prices of used rigs with no warranties and compare them to new rigs with warranties. I've told guys they could replace the motors for the difference...most don't have that cash laying around.

10. Member
    Before you buy,,, ask what all would void the warranty. Merc is getting as bad as Harley. Anything after market has to be purchased from a dealer (their parts) and a dealer has to do the work or the warranty is void.

11. Member
    Shop the warranties among a few dealers as prices will vary. Board sponsors Jetta Marine and C&O Marine are good places to start. I would only by the manufacturer's warranty - not third party.

I am located in Florida and purchase locally, however warranty pricing always seems to be quite a bit cheaper at the above sponsers than locally. You can also avoid sales tax with Jetta Marine if you are located out of state.

I have eight years of Platinum on my ProXS two stroke 250. If I keep the boat, I will repower in year 6 and the warranty will help sell the old motor.
    Last edited by Whiteboat; 09-24-2019 at 04:13 PM.

12. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    Warranty or service contracts are priced based on "loss ratio". Everything I have ever seen shows that loss ratios on high HP outboards is WAY higher than on cars of similar age.
    Ken

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by reclending.com View Post
    Warranty or service contracts are priced based on "loss ratio". Everything I have ever seen shows that loss ratios on high HP outboards is WAY higher than on cars of similar age.
    Ken
    That may be, but its still a product they sell that actuaries let them know how much the payout is going to be, and most consumers will pay more than they get back in repairs. Statistically you are better off saving the money.

14. BBC SPONSOR
    Probably true BUT the same can be said for homeowners, Auto, Term Life and any other insurance. We talk to people every day that are glad they have warranty coverage. The re-power check is a really tough one to write.
    It's an opinion thing - no right or wrong.
    Have a good day.
    Ken

15. Member
    Has anyone looked into this recently? It has been on my mind a lot as my first year of ownership is quickly coming to a close. I actually just received a letter from Mercury with the full breakdown. I will most likely fo ahead and get platinum for a total of 8 years, but would love some more input. Thanks!

16. Member
    I bought the extended warranty on my Mercury. I used it three times. First was a fuel line. Second was an air compressor. The third was when I had only tens days left before it ran out. The motor locked up, and a new power head was installed. I got my money’s worth.

17. Member
    I got a 7 year Platinum on my last 150 4S and sold it with 3 years left on it which made it easier. I extended the 3 Platinum 2 Gold on this one to 6 years of Platinum. It's worth it for the piece of mind and resale in my opinion.

18. Member
    Contact Don Weed (European Marine, board sponsor), saved a tremendous amount of $$$ on a 5 yr Platinum vs what Mercury was selling it for....