Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SHO gearcase compatibility

I asked this in the performance thread, but no takers. Does anyone know if the 4.2 SHO gearcase will bolt up to the 2.8L i4 150/175 SHO?

4.2 gearcase:

2. Member
    Given what I see in the differences between (1) the attach hardware, (2) the lower units and (3) the mid-sections to which the lower unit attaches, it appears there are two chances.

None and more none. None and noner.

Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    Given what I see in the differences between (1) the attach hardware, (2) the lower units and (3) the mid-sections to which the lower unit attaches, it appears there are two chances.

None and more none. None and noner.
    The "attach hardware" you mean the mounting bolt pattern? They are the same. I'd be surprised if it didn't fit. The only thing might be an issue is the internal linkage. Just trying to find a clear answer.
    Last edited by Wave to Wave; 09-27-2019 at 01:27 PM.

4. Member
    I don't know. I will mind my own business.

5. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    What a dick ...

6. Banned
    Yea man go figure ! I’ve seen it all the time a hotdog buys a v6 mustang and spends hours of other people’s time asking how
    mich to convert to v8 and manual trans lmao

Quote Originally Posted by The Arch View Post
    Yea man go figure ! I’ve seen it all the time a hotdog buys a v6 mustang and spends hours of other people’s time asking how
    Sorry if it came across that way. It didn't sound like the guy knew, and wasn't helping. Not sure how that relates to mustangs. Lol. And changing a gearcase is pretty simple, not like a car engine conversion at all. LMAO.

Merc section is more fun. I do projects all the time. Was thinking it would be fun to do a Yamaha. I'll stick to the high performance section, more suitable.
    Last edited by Wave to Wave; 09-24-2019 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    What a dick ...
    I don't think he was being a dick on purpose. He just didn't know.

I will bet you have a V6 mustang, or the boat equivalent. Haha. A simple gearcase swap is not really a big deal, pretty simple question for a Yamaha guy.
    Last edited by Wave to Wave; 09-24-2019 at 06:56 PM.

10. Member
    So....?... How much to convert it?
    Ranger 205dvs 225opti

Ya, how much did it cost you to convert your Mustang? Haha.

12. NC Bass Club/Yamaha Motors Moderator BuzzB8's Avatar
    A while back, we had a couple really knowledgeable guys on here. Due to differences of opinion, both left.
    Yam911 came on board to offer his 2 cents to those who need help. He sometimes has a different approach to giving answers to questions. If you notice where he is from, and notice the diagrams/links he posts, you would realize he has some background with yamahas.

Reggie, calling someone names is not something we do on the Yamaha page. This board is all about owners finding cures/fixes for their expensive outboards.

13. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wave to Wave View Post
    I don't think he was being a dick on purpose. He just didn't know.
    That wasn't directed at yam911. To my knowledge he's a tech and has helped a lot of guys out here.

14. Member
    Agreed. Unless a person has spent some time around here, you wouldn't know that he's one of our most knowledgeable. His sarcasm above is thick, and with out that context, a person might not put 2 and 2 together. It's safe to say that what he means is it isn't likely to work, and how does a person say no so that it means more no than no, or something like that......
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

I'm all for joking around. My original message wasn't meant to be harsh, it just didn't sound like he knew. Not a big deal. To the guy taking the shot at me, I'm all for it, although it was just a simple question, and nothing like his V6 mustang conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by 1bluemcm View Post
    Agreed. Unless a person has spent some time around here, you wouldn't know that he's one of our most knowledgeable. His sarcasm above is thick, and with out that context, a person might not put 2 and 2 together. It's safe to say that what he means is it isn't likely to work, and how does a person say no so that it means more no than no, or something like that......
    Didn't sound like he knew. Gave no technical reason. Bolt pattern is the same. Lots of old Yamahas had interchangeable gearcases.

If anyone would know, it would be yam911. Sounds like you are one with a problem. You ask a question, don't get the answer you want, and then the blame game. Here's an idea, why not just get a SHO unit for a 150/175, or is that too simple.

18. Banned
    All in good ! I’ve gained a lot of
    help on these sites. Never once asked a question then corrected nor scolded someone’s response even when I knew it was off.

19. Member
    I dont know if it would fit. But why would you want to do the change, just for the gear ratio?

Quote Originally Posted by tracer1 View Post
    If anyone would know, it would be yam911. Sounds like you are one with a problem. You ask a question, don't get the answer you want, and then the blame game. Here's an idea, why not just get a SHO unit for a 150/175, or is that too simple.
    Funny how some misread it. Same question in the performance section, and people were much more interested in the answer as well. In his answer,he was joking around, and it didn't seem like he knew. He was wrong about the bolt pattern, so I assumed he was wrong, it wasn't clear. I'm fine with joking around, but many times people respond to questions without knowing and it just causes confusion. Was just trying to avoid that.
    Last edited by Wave to Wave; 09-26-2019 at 08:17 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast