2008 Evinrude 200 HO Hot Alarm

Hi! My 2008 Evinrude 200 HO model# E200DHLSEB Serial#05240228 has recently been randomly throwing a hot alarm while on plane running down the lake. It seems that it may come on more above 4000 RPM but it so random I'm not sure about that. It may come on 3 or 4 times in a trip or you may go a trip or two and not come on at all. I just had impeller replaced last week. Motor seems to have good water pressure. Mechanic said he saw the hot alarm on diagnostics but didn’t elaborate. I did go from XD 100 to a semi synthetic, Evinrude 30 or something like that, it’s TCW3, just because the dealer I normally buy it from closed up and I can’t find it close by. It shouldn’t be set in the XD setting anymore because they don’t recommend that from what I’ve been told. The hot alarm did start coming on shortly after changing the oil though. Just curious what else someone with experience thinks could be the issue. Thanks, Jr

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Lets get the oil setting checked first just because it isn't recommended that doesn't mean it has been set back to TC-W3 setting. XD-50 would be the preferred oil if you aren't going to run the XD-100. When was the last time a water pump kit has been installed? If it has been a while I'd go ahead and replace it. Did the overtemp toss you into SLOW/LIMP mode? If not it may been an EMM overtemp. I'd ask the tech to elaborate a bit more.

3. Member
    Thanks for the reply. I’m pretty positive they told me they removed it from XD100 oil setting a long time ago but I will have checked. The boat does not go in limp mode. I have to come off pad and as soon as it sets down the light goes off. I can get right back on pad and it may not come back on the rest of the day or it may comeback back on in 5 minutes. The mechanic replaced the impeller last week. What’s the difference in limp mode hot and no limp mode hot? I’m not very technical on motors. EMM?

4. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Lets get the oil setting checked first just because it isn't recommended that doesn't mean it has been set back to TC-W3 setting. XD-50 would be the preferred oil if you aren't going to run the XD-100. When was the last time a water pump kit has been installed? If it has been a while I'd go ahead and replace it. Did the overtemp toss you into SLOW/LIMP mode? If not it may been an EMM overtemp. I'd ask the tech to elaborate a bit more.
    go with what Champioman says he knows his chit... i wouldnt run anything less then xd50 as he says , cant find xd 100 around here either however i order it by the case and have it on hand I personally swear by running the xd100 set on the tcw3 setting.

5. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Ditto, I buy my oil online in the 3 gallon cases.......when I pull out the last gallon I reorder.....always here before I need it.

A 2008 200HO only has one oil setting and that is TCW3, it cannot be set to XD100. That does not mean you cannot run XD100 though. For best results you should run XD100. On a non HO model it can be set to either TCW3 or XD100. Setting it to TCW3 only tells the motor to use a bit more oil.
    Anyway I doubt the problem derives from you switching oil but you could always go back to XD100 to see what happens. At minimum you should run XD50 but it's well worth it to run XD100. Don't look at it like 50 bucks a gallon compared to 25 bucks a gallon. Look at it on a yearly basis, it's not that much more to run the best possible oil. Carbon kills 2 strokes and XD100 kills carbon. Take or leave it, it's your engine.

You should not just have the impeller replaced, you should have the whole water pump kit replaced every two - three years. Even then, if they don't do a good job of it you can have an issue of not enough pressure and the result will be hot.

Good luck with it but my guess is they didn't do a good job on the impeller replacement.
    Last edited by tdt91; 09-26-2019 at 08:04 PM.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

I had a similar issue with my engine ion spring, with overheating. Replaced thermostats, replaced impeller and even replaced another sensor that looked like it had arced on to the engine. Still had issues with hot temperatures lights and horns, replaced the whole impeller kit, what a difference in flow and haven’t had any issues since.
    97 Stratos 288
    175 Evenrude Intruder
    Humminbird electronics
    Garmin electronics
    Fortrex112
    2012 Ford Lariat 250

8. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    If water pressure is good yet overheats on plane at speed when running in warmer summer heated waters, might also consider upsizing the water intakes...a standard Evinrude accessory and common use here in hot lake water country. . Fixed my annoying alarms and has stayed fixed for years now. The tables from Evinrude themselves suggest the alarm temp thresholds can be exceeded at high lake temps with the standard intakes.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 09-29-2019 at 05:13 PM.

9. Member
    Thanks for the reply’s guys. I took it back to the mechanic and he replaced the thermostats and I found the 3 gallon cases of XD 100 on Amazon and purchased that. So, went to BFL Regional at Hartwell and she ran good without overheating for 3 days. On the way back to ramp, on the third day, motor picked up a knock. I’m like WTH. Anyways, took it to Evinrude mechanic close to lake and they where nice enough to check it out for me. Told me the lower unit is gone. Showed me the plugs. Plenty of metal on them. I just had the lower unit serviced two weeks ago when they serviced the water pump. Looks like they should have saw something then. IDK! Didn’t get to fish my Regional and now I’m left with trying to figure out what to do with this motor. It had a lightning lower unit. It’s like the second one that’s went out on it. The first one was under warranty. The Dealer that checked it out at the lake said he just so happened to have a magnum lower unit that would fit it off a parts motor for 1200. I don’t know what to do really. I’m not gonna put a new unit on a 10 year old motor for 5000. They told me the compression was 100 on all cylinders so I assume the top still in good shape. Got to make a decision I guess. Doesn’t seem to be to many used units available. And one dealer told me remanufactured units haven’t done to well for them. I’m not interested in the China aftermarket stuff either. Anyone have experience with remans or used units. What’s your thoughts?

10. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    $1200 is a good deal for a Magnum case. If you live in Starr, there are two Rude dealers that I know of Strickland's and Lee's the only other one I know of is 72 Marine. Don't know who did your service work but I'd tend to lean on going with the dealer on Whitehall rd.

11. Member
    Lee’s is the one that diagnosed my lower unit. They didn’t do the service work. They seemed pretty knowledgeable and honest. I’ve never dealt with them. I live in Star NC 4 hours away.

12. Member
    So Champion, fill me in on the difference between a magnum and a magnum 2. Will a two even fit my motor? I’ve read there’s a lightning 1 and 2 and a magnum 1 and 2. They told me mine was a lightning. I don’t know which one. I’ve read the magnums are more durable but slower. Not to worried about the speed oif its reliable. Also read that magnums may require a different prop than I currently have.

13. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Mag 1 is the first to come out and is the standard 1.86 to 1 gearcase...the mag 2 had the low water pick ups in the nosecone and were usually ( don't quote me) 1.76 ratio....the 2 required re propping because of the gear ratio. If you've been thru 2 lightnings....I'd opt for the mag 1....then all you have to do is work on the setup....The mag punches a big hole in the water and being used to the lightning...you will have to work on the setup. Those gears in the mags are honking big....

14. Member
    Yes. Been thru two Lightning’s now and really haven't hit anything as far as I know. Maybe a magnum will be more durable. I run a 14 1/2 x 24 now. Wonder what kind of prop the magnum would need? It’s slow out of the hole now. Was thinking about a 4 blade fury. I’ve heard there pretty good.

15. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    The Mag will be more durable for sure.....I'm a fan of the Bravo fs props without the pvs holes....Woke my holeshot up! The mag will perform the same with the prop you have now.....The Bravos spool up quick up to 4000 rpms and then bite and launch you outta the hole....What brand prop?

16. Member
    Raker II