Traditional Sonar Issue 93SV Plus

Having issues with my 93SV plus unit at the helm. I have the GT34 and GT15-in hull transducer (~1 year old). I'm having issues reading depths in less than 15-feet of water. The depth just flashes like it's looking for the bottom but can't find it. When viewing traditional sonar in shallow water via GT15, the entire screen is lit up like I'm in thick vegetation. When I move to deep water, the depth works again, but the top 15-feet of water is lit up. Is this some sort of interference? It worked fine earlier this year. Any suggestions where I should start troubleshooting? I wish I took a picture, but basically, when viewing traditional sonar in 50+feet of water, I can see the bottom fine, but the top ~15-feet of the column is solid red and looks like there's upside-down vegetation from the surface (sorry, that's the best I can describe it). And it does this whether or not the big motor is running. Thanks.
    Last edited by Rick2018; 10-05-2019 at 12:04 PM. Reason: at the helm, not bow

2. Banned
    Are you in manual mode? Mine was in manual and would do the same thing..

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coachallen View Post
    Are you in manual mode? Mine was in manual and would do the same thing..
    I did check that and it is in Auto.

4. Member
    I have similar issue if the relation range/deep are too big.

I usually force range/deep relation for SIDEVU and force more with higth filtering deep attenuation.

My limits with GT51M are about relation 15 with higth deep attenuation. F.e. for 10 meters deep cand adjust to 150 meters each side. But trying to 200 or 250 meters each side flasing and lost measures and go black reads.

Similar issue have if inverse range adjust, if have more deep than range Also flasing and can't read.

My recommendation are turn manual and test different ranges, can hold a time of 10 seconds or more to restart reads.

Other important thing are the sets in other's views as downvu, I think if have same frequency in sidevu and downvu can block reads of both screens if one are saturate.

Finally review pins with a magnification lent in Male and female connectors of transductor, I did have a broken female pin.

Good luck.

5. Member
    I went back out to the lake today and tried to adjust settings. Nothing helped, so I reset the the unit to restore to factory settings. That didn't help either. I don't know if it is interference or if I have an issue with the transducer. This all started recently. The photos below show what I'm dealing with. When in ~13 fow or less, it does not read depth at all. Once I get out into the channel, it recognizes bottom. It also will not read anything when I get about 6mph or more. I used to be able to scan up to 30mph. Anyone have any recommendations? 93SV plus unit with GT15-IH transducer (also have GT34 transducer for downvu/side, but not having any issues with it).

6. Member
    You said you're shooting through the hull. Make sure your transducer is still securely mounted. If there is any air gap between the transducer and the hull, you will have problems.

As Sam said, looks like the thru hull TD came loose

8. Member
    First thing to check, and you may have done that is to go into Menu->Sonar Setup->Installation->Transducer Models.
    What does it display there as the selected transducer(s)?
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MonteSS View Post
    As Sam said, looks like the thru hull TD came loose
    that’s what I was thinking too. Going to remove batteries and check it tomorrow.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    First thing to check, and you may have done that is to go into Menu->Sonar Setup->Installation->Transducer Models.
    What does it display there as the selected transducer(s)?
    I’ll confirm in the morning but I think it says auto - GT15

11. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Keep in mind that the GT15 ducer is screwed to a "tank" and the tank should have fluid in it.....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

12. Member
    My bet is that fishin couillon pegged it. No fluid.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

13. Member
    Update: opened it up and it still had antifreeze, but it may have been a little low. The o-ring looked good, so I added some 5200 around the outside of the tank, refilled and reinstalled. Hopefully that’s all it was, but I won’t know until later this week when I get back out on the water. Thanks for the responses.

14. Member
    I was able to get out this weekend and all is good now. I guess some of the antifreeze slowly leaked out and was low. Just thought I'd report back in case anyone else had this problem.

15. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Glad it was an easy fix.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS