Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Allison XB21 Prosport -- New personal best (Several of them..)

I will start with every time I get in and test something with this boat it amazes me. These are incredible boats. Darris makes an awesome boat.

This last week I set 3 personal best numbers. I’m out of room with this prop, so until I get a new wheel this is probably it for a while. Probably for the better, because the last pass pushed the limits of what I probably should have done.

I spent the beginning of the week setting up the boat up to run on top after switching over to a lithium trolling battery. I went with one 50ah. So I ended up pulling 100lbs out of the boat. That testing video is nearly done. Great results.

After getting the boat setup to run I got a wind free morning to make a few passes. I made two passes. The first was 105 and the second went 105. The first pass just briefly touched 105 and the second pass held if for a 4-5 seconds before I had to let off. Unfortunately, I hit a bug with the camera and I have bug wings fluttering on the lens for the entire pass. I used the first pass for the video.

That night we had a tournament on a local lake. It was the last one of the year and I had been promising a fellow angler a ride. It was 86, humid, and no wind. I wasn't sure how the boat would run so I told him we could try. I made a quick pass and the boat hit 96, so I thought this could be interesting. I turned around made a turn and went down the lake. I have never run over 96/97 with passenger so I took it slow getting to speed. I was shocked when the boat blew right past 99, then 100, then kept pulling and we hit 101. We still had room to run but at that point I was feeling good about it and I got out. I looked at him and said "Wow, let’s do that again". I spun it around and we did it again. Simply awesome. Two in the boat on a hot day pushing 101 tournament loaded.

Not giving up on testing I decided to go out Friday morning before work. Since I knew I was on the limiter I thought I would lighten up and see what the boat would do on the limiter with less weight and no trolling motor. When I got to the water it was just under 70 and 100% humidity. I thought why not, only so many days left before snow. I still had the trolling motor battery in the boat, but I removed some fishing poles and most of my tackle. Without that gear and the trolling motor I was 100lbs lighter than my 105 run. I made two passes. The first was a shake down and the second was an attempt to adjust and correct for issues in the first pass.

As with all testing it’s a learning process. The boat was light and while it was balanced well it does not take the same set when light without the troller. The left lean is very strong in this configuration. I really feel it is troller related. I personally think the troller acts as a wing and lifts the nose of the boat. Without it the boat nose doesn’t feel right and leans left bad. I see this when I take the troller off and put it below the front deck as well. On my boat the troller overhangs the boat by about 8”.

Pass number one was leaning left. I normally lean right to balance the boat, but that didn’t work. I got out of it as it wasn’t right and my normal tricks didn’t work. On pass number 2 I gave it a little more trim thinking that might do the trick. It did, but it put me over on the right very quickly. Someplace I didn’t want to be. I got off the gas on that pass as well. The boat is extremely sensitive to trim in this configuration. I was at 6.9 and went to 7 and that was all it took. After that I decided to call it and go back and look at the data. Both passes went 106. The boat is dialed in at 105 loaded to fish. I never drive the boat unloaded without the troller, so honestly I will probably never test that configuration again. I'm at the personal limit of where I want to be. I really don’t care what it will hit emptied out.

Bottom line -- very stable and locked in tournament form. When I get a bigger wheel 106 will most likely fall in that configuration and feel much safer.

105.1 tournament loaded personal best
    101 tournament loaded personal best with 2 in the boat.
    106.0 personal best with no troller and most of the fishing gear removed

Last edited by River Rocket; 09-22-2019 at 11:05 PM.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

2. Member
    Wow that’s really impressive! Keep up the good work and stay safe.

3. Member
    Wow, that’s screaming!! Congrats on he PB
    Where in Minnesota do get the open lake to let it go like that yet not have to deal with the wind? I’m by no means in a speed machine but most of my lakes I run out of real estate before I can really let it go, and it seems every time I’m on Mille lacs or a big body there’s just too much chop.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

You got to stop your making me want a xb21 Prosport,, thats awesome congrats

Awesome work as usual RR!
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

Quite impressive

98 Bullet 20XD
    225 Pro Max

Congrats!
    Jay McDaniel
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport Elite 2+2
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

8. Member
    When do you fish?

9. Member
    Good job

Nice! What prop are you running RR?
    - Allison XB2003
    - Mercury Racing 300xs
    - A ride on the California Delta: https://youtu.be/9oTVcRWWKcM

11. Member
    Great job RR!!!! That motor is a beast!!!!!
    Elwood....Bass Cat Strong

2020 Bass Cat Eyra
    2020 Mercury 300R 4S (1E081080)
    Hell Yeah!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bat_turn View Post
    Nice! What prop are you running RR?
    These runs were using a Performer 32P4BC
    Same wheel all my 250 personal bests were run with as well.
    Jay McDaniel
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport Elite 2+2
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

Nice job. Personally, I wouldn't want the troller there for aero reasons. How much counter balance were you using when run without the troller? Those are big numbers though. Love that ProSport.

Quote Originally Posted by XingEyeballs View Post
    Wow, that’s screaming!! Congrats on he PB
    Where in Minnesota do get the open lake to let it go like that yet not have to deal with the wind? I’m by no means in a speed machine but most of my lakes I run out of real estate before I can really let it go, and it seems every time I’m on Mille lacs or a big body there’s just too much chop.
    Sorry for the slow response. Had family issue come up.

From a idle it takes 2400' to hit 100. Most 1,000 acre lakes have about 1.5 miles of room or more. That is plenty without ever getting near shore. I have scouted all of the metro lakes and prefer running a little further out of town to make high speed passes.

I live in the North metro, so plenty of lakes to play on. Very few of the North Metro lakes have speed limits. Those that do are really small.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood View Post
    Great job RR!!!! That motor is a beast!!!!!
    Thank you. I love the R, but to be fair the XS went 103 with power poles on the back (in much colder temps.. 40 degree running is a big deal). The XS also took way longer to do it. Still an R lover.

The R has the power poles off right now and the advantage of a lithium battery (so it is down well over 200lbs from what the XS went 103 with). I do believe it will be reliably faster (XS seemed seemed to want to pick its days to run). Right now I'm running 103 at whim on 80 degree days. In the end I think it will be 1-2mph faster on my boat. Unfortunately, the changes needed to make it run will never allow for a true apples to apples like I hoped.
    Last edited by River Rocket; 09-24-2019 at 04:07 PM.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    When do you fish?
    LOL, never. Every time I go out with the intent to fish and I end up testing a prop. Recently even when its too windy to test for top end I end up testing something else. This week I got a new battery gauge. It reads amp hours and current. I ended up filming a video on current draw of the trolling motor at given speed settings. I got done and thought "I should put speeds in". I turned around and did the testing again with top speeds in mph. Testing is a sickness I guess. I wish I was this into fishing......
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

Quote Originally Posted by tritontr21 View Post
    You can have it. I'm done with it for now.....

I have yet to test a prop that will run with this wheel. I have no other prop like it. I ordered a 34 FC to see how it does. I had a 3 blade 34 P3 that ran close, but the P4 has always been a very reliable top end wheel for me.

The R has turned it into a daily driver. On the XS it was strictly for top end. Hole shot and mid-ranger were not good. It came alive after 70 on the XS. On the R unloaded the other day it hit 100 in 26 seconds in just over 2300'. That is from an idle start. With the XS that was how long it took to hit 85 and to hit 100 and the XS needed over 4000' to do it.

I did run the P4 for that tournament and the 32 may be a little big for a tournament wheel. I like the 32 Promax better for tournaments. Hole shot is really good with a full livewell.
    Last edited by River Rocket; 09-24-2019 at 04:49 PM.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

Quote Originally Posted by Wave to Wave View Post
    Nice job. Personally, I wouldn't want the troller there for aero reasons. How much counter balance were you using when run without the troller? Those are big numbers though. Love that ProSport.
    I know. The aero with it off is good for around 0.8 to 1 mph on my boat when running around 100. I would love to run with it off more the issue is the boat always handles completely different.

To the counter balance question. The cool thing about the Prosport is I can take the troller off and put it below the top deck right under where it rides when mounted. It is a true test of aerodynamics. Every time I do this test the boat struggles to lift on the left side. With the boat lighter like this is was farther over on the left than it normally is. It is really the reason I think the troller has to act like a wing and lift the nose on the left hand side. Back to back testing with identical weight loading points that it is doing something. I wonder if sandwiching a load cell inside the bracket would show how many pounds of lift is happening.

For the 106 pass the weight distribution was identical to the weight distribution of the 105 pass with the troller on.

I have to take the boat up to 100 or so to see how it is going to take a set. The weight distribution changes from a high 90's setup to low 100's setup. (not sure if that is the big console, lip, or what, or the hull flying) You can really only adjust weight after getting it in that zone and figuring out what is going on. i knew the lack of troller was going to change things. My goal was to run it up quick and see what I needed to do for balance. My issue was it hit 100 instantly and was climbing quick. By the time I figured out it wasn't going to come off the left side I was at 105 and still pulling. I held it real quick and let hit 106. Pass 2 I leaned heavily to the right and gave it a touch of trim. It hit 106 even quicker then fell over to the right. I got out.

Based on the data logger the motor is on the limiter hard with no troller and lightened up a little.

I always set a goal before I run and pray on that. I wanted 106 and got it. I asked for wisdom to interpret the signs correctly and know when to be done and was given it. Can't ask for much more.
    Last edited by River Rocket; 09-24-2019 at 04:47 PM.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

Quote Originally Posted by tritontr21 View Post
    Thanks! My best top speed runs are also with a 32P4BC. I had mine worked by Billy Eaves.
    - Allison XB2003
    - Mercury Racing 300xs
    - A ride on the California Delta: https://youtu.be/9oTVcRWWKcM

Quote Originally Posted by River Rocket View Post
    I know. The aero with it off is good for around 0.8 to 1 mph on my boat when running around 100. I would love to run with it off more the issue is the boat always handles completely different.

To the counter balance question. The cool thing about the Prosport is I can take the troller off and put it below the top deck right under where it rides when mounted. It is a true test of aerodynamics. Every time I do this test the boat struggles to lift on the left side. With the boat lighter like this is was farther over on the left than it normally is. It is really the reason I think the troller has to act like a wing and lift the nose on the left hand side. Back to back testing with identical weight loading points that it is doing something. I wonder if sandwiching a load cell inside the bracket would show how many pounds of lift is happening.

For the 106 pass the weight distribution was identical to the weight distribution of the 105 pass with the troller on.

I have to take the boat up to 100 or so to see how it is going to take a set. The weight distribution changes from a high 90's setup to low 100's setup. (not sure if that is the big console, lip, or what, or the hull flying) You can really only adjust weight after getting it in that zone and figuring out what is going on. i knew the lack of troller was going to change things. My goal was to run it up quick and see what I needed to do for balance. My issue was it hit 100 instantly and was climbing quick. By the time I figured out it wasn't going to come off the left side I was at 105 and still pulling. I held it real quick and let hit 106. Pass 2 I leaned heavily to the right and gave it a touch of trim. It hit 106 even quicker then fell over to the right. I got out.

Based on the data logger the motor is on the limiter hard with no troller and lightened up a little.

I always set a goal before I run and pray on that. I wanted 106 and got it. I asked for wisdom to interpret the signs correctly and know when to be done and was given it. Can't ask for much more.
    Nice. I love that boat. I always wondered what it would look like if it had a sport deck like the SS or Grand Sport on it. You're right, the dynamics of balance change as you go faster, aero, distribution etc. Thanks for the updates.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast