Light hair jig rod blank recommendation?

Looking for a good blank to build a light hair jig rod. 7’4”-7’6”. 1/16th oz, 3/32nd oz, 1/4oz hair jigs (marabou). Which blank to look into. Lightweight blank is a must, soft tip for long casts and adequate backbone for hooksets all needed.
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man

2. Member
    Phoenix has a nice blank. They come a little underpowered but little more mod fast tip to load a cast

st croix 76mlxf

forgot to say I built a 9600 MHX hot shots blank. I like it a lot and dry casting a hair jig it does ok haven’t had a chance to use on the water
    Last edited by jasonG; 09-23-2019 at 07:18 AM.
    Nitro z21

3. Member
    Phenix does make a nice finesse blank. I've been meaning to call them and find out which blanks they use on their Feather series. Just by looking at the specs I think it might be Ultra MBX. I think the UMBX707 ML would fit the bill. Great, now I have to order myself one to find out.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonG View Post
    st croix 76mlxf
    Perfect fit. Good advice sir. My favorite blank and all I fish are finesse smallmouth.
    In Fisherman Midwest Finesse
    American Legacy Fishing Company
    Costa
    Jackson Kayak
    Nikko
    Pro Cure
    Rapala
    Simms

5. Member
    My pick would be the Phenix K2 763ml - or grab the 713ml and extend it a few inches. I still believe these are the best performing blanks on the market. If you want light and sensitive, it doesn't get much better than this. But, they are pricey.
    I just looked, and Point Blank doesn't make anything that light in those lengths. Shame

6. Member
    I called Phenix and the blank that the Feather is built on is the FTX. He said it's like $80.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    I called Phenix and the blank that the Feather is built on is the FTX. He said it's like $80.
    Did he say when these would be available? There is a section on the website for Feather blanks, but no models are listed yet. None of the rod shops have them either.

8. Member
    Feather blanks have been available for at least couple of years. Just call the shop and ask for them.

Harry

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Chang View Post
    Feather blanks have been available for at least couple of years. Just call the shop and ask for them.

Harry
    What shop? I don't think the rod line has been out quite that long...or perhaps my memory is getting worse. Are we confusing the Recon blanks with these by chance?

10. Member
    Phenix retail shop. Their main number works. The blanks became available shortly the factory rods were introduced. I was surprised to see them as well when I went to the showroom. FYI, the butts are quite big, same as you see on the production rods. Also ask them about he Feather reel seats.

Harry