Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I spent around $1,400 not including the frustration of being on the water and the engine giving me fits. Definitely install the filter and don’t keep gas in the tank for prolonged periods. Good luck, hope you caught some fish on Rayburn.

2. Member
    Cyls on starboard #1 # 3 # 5. Cyls on port #2 #4 #6.

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos_hand View Post
    Which cylinder is #2 on J225HPLEEN I can’t find a diagram to save my life.
    You have a factory manual? That gives the cylinders and the carb layout. #2 carb it the top left facing the carbs. #2 piston is top left facing the back of the motor.

4. Member
    Not yet but I got one stashed at Northshore Marine I just gotta go by and pick it up. Thanks guys. I’ll get the 76 d put in and take it out and see what happens. 27’s are already in.

5. Member
    Got one now pn: 787032

6. Member
    Aight so the 74d jets were drilled out by the looks of it I dunno what they are but they all didn’t look the same. But 76d’s in there now along with a fuel water separator and different idle orfices. Fired up on the hose and idled little high but it was cool out and no back pressure so not a real test. Idled around 1500-1800 on cold start. Once warmed up on the lake and still the same it’s easy fix.

7. Member
    I have a 1997 johnson venom 200 fresh rebuild but it wont run over 4k and 40 mph on a 201 pro elite unless it really low on fuel. If it's on the verge of running out of fuel it will run out great. If it's got any more fuel than that it acts like its loading up. The carbs only have the single jet and have been completely rebuilt. I had this same issue before it was rebuilt. It's been to 4 mechanics and 5k later and still no fix. And it's hard to start it used to fire up no matter what the weather was like. The last guy went through set the timing, butterflies, all linkages and ran it on his dyno and he said it maxed it out, but it was also nearly out of gas. It comes out of the hole like it should if I hold it around 2500 rpm for 30 seconds to a min then idle back down put it in gear and go, but once on plane at 3800 to 4k you can look back and its leaving a smoke trail. I can set it down go to take off and it plows water bogging down. Put it in neutral hold around 2500 3k rpm for a min and slowly run up to 5k the a couple quick tips, put in gear blast off, same deal 3800 4k 40 mph smoke trail, oh and once I set it down and it does the bogging thing its smoking like hell until it clears out. PLEASE HELPModel#J200STLECE serial#G 04404291
    Last edited by Truthing Trucker; 10-15-2019 at 08:42 AM.

8. Member
    Trucker sounds like maybe a fuel restriction. Are you using the vro or mixing in your gas? If you have read the thread I’ve had similar issues with bogging and my fix was installing correct orfices. My high speed had 74d’s and manual calls for 76. The idle orfice calls for 30 but I put in 27’s for more fuel and less air as a test. My motor symptoms were once the block heated up all the boat did was plow and starve for fuel. When you are running have you held in the choke? If the motor picks up then it needs more fuel if it dies then possibly ignition issue. Have you checked your fuel tanks siphon valve or your fuel pickup in the tank? There’s a screen on the pickup tube that can restrict fuel. At idle may not be noticeable but once you accelerate it and get all the smoke then maybe not enough fuel and it’s burning some gas but more oil. There’s all kinds of things to check. Start with that and see what you find. There’s also check valves on the block those can go bad but can be checked by filling a syringe with rubbing alcohol and flushing em out if no resistance there good. Vacuum has a lot of play in the equation as well. The lines can collapse or be pinched etc etc. Main thing that helped me was buying a manual.

9. Member
    Stratos, I've done all of the above except jets and check those check valves. I took the screen out of the pick up tube and put a water separator filter at the tank and a 100 micron filter at the vro. I mix my gas 50:1. Its crazy how it will run out when its nearly out of fuel that's what made me think it was the vent. This was an issue before it was rebuilt. I'm off work until Monday so I'm going to hit this thing with everthing I can think of.

10. Member
    Hmmm and you have good compression and spark on all cylinders? You could be dropping a cylinder at certain rpm. Check your timing to you said you had it at a few different places so a lot of hands have touched things. It’s always good to get a base reference on things and troubleshoot from there. Eventually you will find the problem.

Also try running it on a 6 gallon tank and see what it does. That way you completely bypass your fuel system. If it’s the same then you narrowed it to the motor.

11. Member
    So I pulled the re circ check valves 5 of the 6 were either free flowing or stopped u. I replaced them and I'm waiting for the rain to clear here in Tennessee and I'm going to go run it

12. Member
    Well any luck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12