FX vs I Class. What’s the major differences please

Starting boat shopping and Skeeter is high on my list as I want my next boat to have a SHO no matter what. I’m noticing some I class boats and FX boats in my price point and years I’m looking into. I know the I class was the top of the line for a while but I thought the FX replaced it. I’m learning that must not be the case as I’m seeing a few years of both being in production. I have found several FX boats I like and a 22i that I like so wanted to get some help from you guys who might have owned both or who are just knowledgeable on Skeeters. Thx in advance

3. Member
    Thank you Razor. Seems I class are great boats. Wonder why the moved away from them?

4. Member
    I would get the FX. I had am iClass and getting parts for was insane. The cheap bow panel that holds the gps unit tore loose, and Skeeter did not have a replacement for it. They said the swapped vendors and the new panels didn't fit like the original. Mine was on 09, this happened in 14.
    Jimmy
    Phoenix 721
    12" Bobs Hydro Plate
    Mercury 300 Xs
    Dave Bush Racing Kit
    28.5 Bravo

5. Member
    Thanks Jav. Really leaning towards the FX for my next boat.

I-Class rides significantly better in rough water. If you fish big lakes like Toledo and Rayburn you will appreciate it. Trust me.
    2022 Skeeter FXR21 Apex
    Helix 15/ Helix 12 / Garmin 1222 / LS34 Livescope

Jer. 33:3

7. Member
    Bitman, I made the change from a 20i to a Phoenix 721. The ride is much better in rough water than the iClass was and there are some out there with the SHO on it as well...You may want to take a look at them as well, it was a major upgrade to me, and the speed is amazing
    Jimmy
    Phoenix 721
    12" Bobs Hydro Plate
    Mercury 300 Xs
    Dave Bush Racing Kit
    28.5 Bravo

I have a 2015 FXi 21 and I have been in a friends 2016 FX 21. Not being bias to mine, but mine seems to run better in rough water, however I am about 2-3 mph slower.
    https://www.shutterfly.com/lightbox/view.sfly?fid=a2c75a1af14eaa119a16dcf07a6807f9

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranchdip View Post
    I-Class rides significantly better in rough water. If you fish big lakes like Toledo and Rayburn you will appreciate it. Trust me.
    So which model FX have you had because I’ve had both and besides the the fx being faster didn’t notice any better rough water ride in I class.

10. Member
    If you could find an fxi best of both worlds, but you may as well be searching for a unicorn. I have a a 2009 21i and every time I think about a new boat. I always ponder keeping the one I have, and getting a new one. Phoenix is a nice boat but they tend to walk a lot. The iclass will not walk. They have been compared to Cadillac for the ride. You put lithium batteries in a iclass and it starts to respond like an FX. Big difference is the sho wasn’t around much for the iclass, and when it was they broke a lot. Now things are different with the sho. I sometimes just think of re-powering with a sho.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by k3fishing View Post
    If you could find an fxi best of both worlds, but you may as well be searching for a unicorn. I have a a 2009 21i and every time I think about a new boat. I always ponder keeping the one I have, and getting a new one. Phoenix is a nice boat but they tend to walk a lot. The iclass will not walk. They have been compared to Cadillac for the ride. You put lithium batteries in a iclass and it starts to respond like an FX. Big difference is the sho wasn’t around much for the iclass, and when it was they broke a lot. Now things are different with the sho. I sometimes just think of re-powering with a sho.
    I had my 721 to 78.6 last weekend with no issues of walking. With the 27 fury its been 84.1 with not much driver input...Maybe those having probs with it walking a lot have not learned to drive a performance boat yet.
    Jimmy
    Phoenix 721
    12" Bobs Hydro Plate
    Mercury 300 Xs
    Dave Bush Racing Kit
    28.5 Bravo

12. Member
    Need I say more...

I feel much safer in an I-class. I've only owned Tritons to compare it to though. I'm on my 3rd 21i over the years and I just love them.

Regarding the Phoenix, my friends that have driven them tell me you have a greater chance of spearing a wave compared to the I-class. Skeeters just ride higher at the bow. My explanation would be the I-class allows you to trim the motor all the way down for rough water, yet your bow stays elevated. That's what I love about them. I've never speared a wave in one no matter how big the waves are on Conroe/Rayburn & Toledo. I've ridden in a 721 on a rough day at Toledo and it does have a great rough water ride. It just handles the waves differently than a Skeeter.
    Last edited by Ranchdip; 10-23-2019 at 04:46 PM.
    2022 Skeeter FXR21 Apex
    Helix 15/ Helix 12 / Garmin 1222 / LS34 Livescope

Jer. 33:3

14. Member
    I feel much safer in an I-class. I've only owned Tritons to compare it to though. I'm on my 3rd 21i over the years and I just love them.

Regarding the Phoenix, my friends that have driven them tell me you have a greater chance of spearing a wave compared to the I-class. Skeeters just ride higher at the bow. My explanation would be the I-class allows you to trim the motor all the way down for rough water, yet your bow stays elevated. That's what I love about them. I've never speared a wave in one no matter how big the waves are on Conroe/Rayburn & Toledo. I've ridden in a 721 on a rough day at Toledo and it does have a great rough water ride. It just handles the waves differently than a Skeeter.
    I had an iClass for 4 years before getting a 721, I have driven the Phoenix faster and smoother in rough water on Rayburn that I wouldnt even think about in the Skeeter..and the bow of the Phoenix will ride way higher than the Skeeter did. The 721 is longer and a little more narrow, it just slices thru the waves rather than slap them like my iClass did...I ran from Cassell to Caney at 60 with white caps on Rayburn, would never have done that in the Skeeter...I tried a few times and it almost beat the trolling motor off the bow...
    Jimmy
    Phoenix 721
    12" Bobs Hydro Plate
    Mercury 300 Xs
    Dave Bush Racing Kit
    28.5 Bravo

It sounds like you better get the 85 MPH Phoenix 721 that is so great in rough water and speed. But if you can't find it, the i-class has been a great boat for me also. I have the 2015 FXi 21 which is the last year Skeeter made the i class. I fish the great lakes (Michigan BFL's) and run from Elizabeth Park (Detroit River several miles up the St Clair River (60 miles each way) and this boat makes that trip not not as difficult in some very rough water at times. Phoenix guy mentioned boat parts a problem but I have never needed a part on FXi . This is the 6th Skeeter I've owned and only needed a switch panel replaced on one of my boats and Skeeter replaced it though it was out of warranty so I have been fortunate. Good luck on your search.
    Rob Campbell - (2015) 21 Skeeter Fxi