Thread: Rt 188 prop

Banned

Rt 188 prop

Rt 188 ct merc xs 21 tempest will cupping prop make bow rise a little more?
    maybe a 22 pitch work better

2. Member
    I’m thinking of picking up a 21p tempest plus for the same motor as yours. Do you not like the 21p on the 188?

3. Member
    What kind of RPMs are you running with the 21p cupping going to make it more like a 22p
    2006 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX 115 Merc

4. Member
    I run a Tempest 21P on my 188 and these are my numbers: 47mph @ 6100rpm (max rpm is 6300). When you do the math it works out to 7.5% prop slip which is a very good efficiency number. The tempest prop has an aggressive cup already. If you go up to a 22p you are going to drop rpm as well. What are you numbers?
    2023 Triton 18TRX
    2023 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    80# Ultrex IPilot Link
    Helix 12 Mega SI & Garmin Livescope w/ 1242XSV GPSmap

5. Banned
    The 21 tempest on my boat average 45 mph around 6000 rpm setback plate 3rd hole solid pvs plugs.
    Think I just have way to much tackle in boat. I have seen 47 in cooler
    J D

6. Member
    Just going by the numbers that you have given, you are at around a 10.2% slip. That is a good number. Are you using the dash Tach for your RPMS? I use Mercury's Vessel View Mobile for my RPMS and my speed is GPS from my console Helix unit. There is a 100-150rpm difference between the 2 on my boat. In the end the 188 is just a slow hull. I attribute this to the fact that it is basically a flat bottom boat with a lot of surface drag.
    2023 Triton 18TRX
    2023 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    80# Ultrex IPilot Link

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G4bama View Post
    Just going by the numbers that you have given, you are at around a 10.2% slip. That is a good number. Are you using the dash Tach for your RPMS? I use Mercury's Vessel View Mobile for my RPMS and my speed is GPS from my console Helix unit. There is a 100-150rpm difference between the 2 on my boat. In the end the 188 is just a slow hull. I attribute this to the fact that it is basically a flat bottom boat with a lot of surface drag.
    Correct. It's just not a fast boat. If you want to race, don't buy one. Seriously. They get from 45 to 50 top end. BUT THEY FISH GREAT. They ride acceptably. BUT THEY FISH GREAT. If you want to tweak the last MPH out of it --- go for it. Spend a lot of time and money.

They are not and never will be fast. Once you get it close to 47 or so, little things like weight distribition, WIND, wave action, outdoor air temperatures, etc. etc. will make a MPH or two difference on different days......and there so it will be hard to spec exactly what it will do. Being a handmade hull also has a lot to do with it. They are different one to another.

I bought mine to fish shallow water in Florida and people love fishing from it. It is stable, flat and fishes GREAT....
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

8. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFlyer View Post
    Correct. It's just not a fast boat. If you want to race, don't buy one. Seriously. They get from 45 to 50 top end. BUT THEY FISH GREAT. They ride acceptably. BUT THEY FISH GREAT. If you want to tweak the last MPH out of it --- go for it. Spend a lot of time and money.

They are not and never will be fast. Once you get it close to 47 or so, little things like weight distribition, WIND, wave action, outdoor air temperatures, etc. etc. will make a MPH or two difference on different days......and there so it will be hard to spec exactly what it will do. Being a handmade hull also has a lot to do with it. They are different one to another.

I bought mine to fish shallow water in Florida and people love fishing from it. It is stable, flat and fishes GREAT....
    X2! And with the TM down, as good as anything out there..
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

9. Member
    There are two tabs welded on the back holding ya down. Listen to FloridaFlyer & enjoy.

10. Member
    I 100% agree with fishability. That was my main reason for going with the 188. The 188 fishes better than most 20' or 21' boats out there. I'd put the deck room up against any boat on the water.
    2023 Triton 18TRX
    2023 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    80# Ultrex IPilot Link

11. Member
    I wouldn't go as far as better than most 20 or 21 footers on the market. It fishes good, but come on. I have a buddy that goes through boats like candy. In the last three years he's had a Nitro Z21, Skeeter 21LE, and now a Ranger 520L. All three of those things were like fishing off a damn dock. You stick the poles down and hit the Ultrex and I swear it's like standing on a dock. Only they all had padded decks where the dock doesn't have a padded deck LOL. The RT is indeed a solid rig, but it doesn't hold a candle to my old Cougar. That thing was a barge in caparison. In comparison I can take my lil Rt in places I could never get any of those barges. There is no perfect bass boat! There is just one that fits you best at that time in your life. My buddy that goes through those sparkle sleds also has a smaller tin rig with a 90 on it sitting right next to his Ranger 520L. He got a great deal on it and when he is just puddle jumping he takes the tin rig.

Oh yeah I forgot...My loaded RT188 cost half what any of those big sparkle sleds cost OTD with taxes and the Platinum warranty. Different strokes my BBC friend.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by King_Fish View Post
    X2! And with the TM down, as good as anything out there..
    Yes they are very stable platform. Those running the tempest what plugs are y’all useing? Mine came with large pvs plugs . I changed to solid it seems to corner better and does not loose bite.
    still jumps out of hole.
    J D

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    I wouldn't go as far as better than most 20 or 21 footers on the market. It fishes good, but come on. I have a buddy that goes through boats like candy. In the last three years he's had a Nitro Z21, Skeeter 21LE, and now a Ranger 520L. All three of those things were like fishing off a damn dock. You stick the poles down and hit the Ultrex and I swear it's like standing on a dock. Only they all had padded decks where the dock doesn't have a padded deck LOL. The RT is indeed a solid rig, but it doesn't hold a candle to my old Cougar. That thing was a barge in caparison. In comparison I can take my lil Rt in places I could never get any of those barges. There is no perfect bass boat! There is just one that fits you best at that time in your life. My buddy that goes through those sparkle sleds also has a smaller tin rig with a 90 on it sitting right next to his Ranger 520L. He got a great deal on it and when he is just puddle jumping he takes the tin rig.

Oh yeah I forgot...My loaded RT188 cost half what any of those big sparkle sleds cost OTD with taxes and the Platinum warranty. Different strokes my BBC friend.
    I stick by my opinions. Sounds like your friend is more in to keeping up with the Jones when it comes to owning boats.
    2023 Triton 18TRX
    2023 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    80# Ultrex IPilot Link

14. Member
    I have fished from probably hundreds of boats in the front and in the back, in calm water and rough. I fished out of the RT188 before I bought it. I won't say it is the BEST that I have fished from ----- but if I look at the shallow water fishability, the stability, the size of the front deck, the resale value, the customer service, it is ONE of the best I have ever been in. I like it so much that I bought one and have not found into be lacking at all in what my criteria for a boat was. It has been great. Just great.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G4bama View Post
    I stick by my opinions. Sounds like your friend is more in to keeping up with the Jones when it comes to owning boats.
    And I’ll stick to mine that while the RT188 is a great 18’ platform it’s not as good as the 20 or 21’ers. I’ve NEVER seen my buddy try and keep up with the Jones’s. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him post his boats here here or anywhere where else. He has them because he works his butt off and he can.

If I wanted a 20’ aluminum boat I’d look at a Gatortrax.

16. Member
    2018 Triton 18th with a mere 115 pro xs CT 4" zlock jack-late turning a 23P tempest at 6100 = 50.1-50.5 mph gps all day. also shaved off half of those trim tabs which allowed the boat to open up just a little. With a 22p it turns 6300+ and only about 48 mph.