Minn Kota Terrova blown fuse (brown wire)

Help, please :) I keep blowing the fuse in the head of my Minn Kota Terrova iPilot Link 80# 60" shaft. I understand the fuse goes to the US2 transducer/grounded on the brush plate?, and I wouldn't need it but when the fuse blows, I have insane interference on my electronics when I'm using the trolling motor (losing noise shield). I've read a bunch of forums on this but wondering if anyone has a troubleshooting list of what to check first to last?.. I also have everything hooked up to a Minn Kota MK318pc Precision (digital) onboard charger, and linked to a Humminbird Helix 9. I disassembled the lower unit and found some water inside, cleaned/dried everything, still shorting out somewhere. I checked the flow in the brown wire where the fuse was blown and it's reading at 24v and I don't think it's supposed to be running through that with at all. Thanks for any advice.

2. Member
    The bonding (brown) wire gets it's ground from the control board. However, if the cranking battery is connected to the wrong battery it will cause a short through the control board and take out the fuse. If you have the cranking battery connected in any way to one of the trolling batteries, it must be connected to the trolling battery that carries ground to the control board.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

3. Member
    Hey Jones, I noticed the brown wire grounds near the trolling motor power wire where it connects at the brushes and brush plate for the brown wire grounds, and another wire is ground near the US2 transducer in the front cap/casing of the inside of the lower unit. To my knowledge, there is nothing sharing any connection to the cranking battery other than the digital charger but nothing changes if I have that connected or not..it almost seems as though the power wire(+) in the lower unit of the trolling motor is attempting to ground through the brown wire, and that's when the fuse is blowing..I placed a larger (15a) fuse on the brown wire to see what happens (not smart) but the prop started to spin before the fuse blew, so I'm not sure how that would happen?

4. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Will ask what direction did the prop spin though already probably know.

5. Member
    Hey Lou, what would that indicate?