Thread: Triton Magnum

Triton Magnum

Just wondering if anyone has any new info on the Triton Magnum? I thought we were supposed to hear something this month. I know the month isn't over yet but its close.

2. Member
    Triton is bringing the Mag back? How do we know thats happening?

3. Member
    I hope it wasn't a rumor. It was posted on here a while back.

4. Member
    Would be shocked if Triton brought back the Magnum.

5. Member
    Triton should have pictures of the boat next month.

6. Member
    It will be announced at the press conference announcing the MLF/FLW buyout.

7. Member
    Awesome thanks.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by madmurph View Post

9. Member
    The old Triton Magnums by Earl are very sought after boats. When I was looking used, you would see one for sale and by the time you called......it was sold. The new ones will probably be good boats too.

Most tin boats are pretty good, with one exception in my opinion.

There are a lot of good aluminums but some like the old Magnums are just a little better than average. There are still a couple made even now in 2019 that are just a little better than the typical good. Hope the new ones will be comparable.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

10. Member
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=93404

I found that looking for info on the originals. Looks like the 176 was a good rig with a 115.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by madmurph View Post
    The new Triton aluminum boat will be unveiled at the Triton Dealer Council next month. The boat will then go through 100 hours of endurance testing before it goes to market.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=93404

I found that looking for info on the originals. Looks like the 176 was a good rig with a 115.
    The 176 was a good rig even with a 90. Properly set up it was a 50 mph boat with one angler - I owned one for about 10 years.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

13. Member
    Hope they bring it back based on everything I’ve read, sounds like an excellent platform and they have the dealer network.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    I think the theory is that the new Triton Magnum will use the same hull as the Ranger RT188p and 198p. From what I've seen, and I've not crawled under them, these hulls are very similar to the Triton Mag hulls of old.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

15. Member
    What gets me with the old Magnums and all these other rigs is back when they produced the 186 Magnum it was rated for a 150, all these newer tins like the Ranger 188 and various other Tins are not rated for a 150. I think they hurt themselves not rating the 188 with a 150. I have one of the older 2005 186 Magnums just because i could have a 150 on a 18’5 foot boat. I wonder if the New 197 Magnum is going to hold a 200 max like the older ones did or is it going to have a 150 max rating. Ill be curious to see what they do when introduced. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    I think the theory is that the new Triton Magnum will use the same hull as the Ranger RT188p and 198p. From what I've seen, and I've not crawled under them, these hulls are very similar to the Triton Mag hulls of old.
    I expect this will be the case. I could be wrong about how they do it this year, but when I was at the plant they made the Ranger and Triton hulls the same on the same line. They were not tagged as a Triton hull or Ranger hull. The differences were made in the final assembly area after the hull was manufactured. The differences were in seats, carpet, console, trim and things like that.....not in the aluminum hull. Things could change, but I would bet they don't.

As for the question about 150 on a RT188, you could look at the 198 if you want a 150. I can sort of understand what they do. Look at the specs. There is very little difference between the 188 and the 198. I think the difference is 6 inches in length and the beam is the same as the 188. I do wish they made any hulls with the 150 rating with thicker aluminum in both transom and hull.
    Last edited by Panama; 09-26-2019 at 09:18 AM.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Panama View Post
    As for the question about 150 on a RT188, you could look at the 198 if you want a 150. I can sort of understand what they do. Look at the specs. There is very little difference between the 188 and the 198. I think the difference is 6 inches in length and the beam is the same as the 188. I do wish they made any hulls with the 150 rating with thicker aluminum in both transom and hull.
    Also mod V hull vs pad hull.

18. Member
    Rangers RT188P/198P’s are the same hull as the old ‘Triton Magnums.’ Ranger owns Triton, SOOOOO.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xpress monster View Post
    Rangers RT188P/198P’s are the same hull as the old ‘Triton Magnums.’ Ranger owns Triton, SOOOOO.
    Ranger does not own Triton, White River Marine Group owns both. The 188P and 198P and the Triton Magnums were designed by the same person.