when smokiing anyone ever

put pototes in with your meat and smoke them like you would bake them in oven? H ow they turn out and what did you do to them before going n smoker.

Regular and sweet potatoes. I just rinse and toss them in for about 1 1/2 hours. Corn also.

3. Member
    I like to rinse them off then rub olive oil on them and sprinkle heavy with kosher salt.

4. Member
    I do it quiet often. Cubed red potatoes in a disposable aluminum pan. Coated with a mix of butter and olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder and smoked paprika.
    Boatless Bank Trash for now

5. Member
    Oh boy...there are several ways to carry this out...dependent upon the grill and the main coarse...timing is everything here...I cook on average of 4-5 times a week on out BGE for the main coarse and about half that for the secondary coarse...potatoes come into play often. My favorite are the small round ones that I salt and pepper then butter and wrap in foil and put in the egg at appropriate times considering the time left for the main coarse. I open the foil to allow some of the natural flavor of my well seasoned egg to enter the potato at an estimated time of cooking left as to nit overpower the smokiness of the potato taste. Sometimes I put a cast iron skillet in the egg and cook scalloped potatoes or a sauteed version...its always different for me considering the main dish vs the cooking method and timing....hope this helps! FYI my spell checker may be wrong on "coarse" but it wont let me change it! LOL

6. Member
    I have not tried smoking potatoes but cooking them on my grill is by far my favorite way. I coat them with crisco or if I dont have that olive oil and then coat in kosher salt. Throw them on the grill and cook until the skins are crispy. The skins are one of my favorite parts of the potato when cooked like that. Makes great twice baked potatoes.

7. Member
    axkiker ....I love the skin part too... nice and crunchy but sort of saturated with butter and olive oil..so really not that crunchy...hard to describe the "just right" texture...our leftovers always go to twice baked...

8. Member
    Smoked em last night with some country style pork ribs. Could have been done a little more. Cut some up today with some of the ribs, added to a vegetable soup I make weekly...wow! Probably more of a stew but really good!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by edw View Post
    axkiker ....I love the skin part too... nice and crunchy but sort of saturated with butter and olive oil..so really not that crunchy...hard to describe the "just right" texture...our leftovers always go to twice baked...
    Thats why I really prefer Crisco or better yet bacon fat as a coating prior to putting on the grill. But yeah its hard to describe as its not crunchy like a potato chip. Its just sorta its own thing.