Thread: Waterfowl coat

Waterfowl coat

What do you guys recommend for a good waterfowl coat? I want something that will work in the late season here in Missouri. Waterproof, hood, warm, trying to stay somewhere around $2-250.

2. Member
    Drake. Finest waterfowl, and any other hunting, clothing made.

3. Member
    I vote Drake.

Sitka!!

Banded black label wader jacket, but it's going to be a little higher than the budget 319 to 329. Warm, hood & waterproof.
    I BELIEVE!!!!

6. Member
    It doesn’t get as cold here as it does there but I use under armor.

My vote goes to Drake. I've got their LST waterproof jacket and it's pretty nice. It's not Gore Tex, but good enough for a slight drizzle. If you layer properly you won't get cold with it.

I haven't heard too many reviews on Sitka and I don't mind paying good money for quality stuff, but their stuff just seems down right unreasonably expensive.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

Right now I'm leaning towards either the Drake Guardian series or possibly Sitka. They are above what I wanted to pay, but I'm starting to get tired of going cheap and not being happy and then buying again in a couple years. Just need to suck it up and buy the good stuff first. Been looking around and you can get decent deals on used Sitka gear that people seem to have bought, wore it once or twice and selling it so I may go that route too if I can find what I want.

Ended up getting a Drake Guardian Elite boat and blind coat. If you signed up for an Amazon prime credit card, they gave you $100 off so I got it for $260. I was looking at possibly buying a used Sitka Hudson, but when I went and looked at one at the local store, it felt like it was just a rain jacket with no insulation. Didn't feel like it would be warm at all. I know their system is all based on layering, but I wasn't going to pay $500 for a rain coat and then another $300 on the other layers. The Drake seems like it will be nice and warm especially with my other layers on. I like the pockets and the layout of the jacket as well. We'll see in another month how it works out.

10. Member
    Just spend the money and get the Sitka Hudson set. I encourage getting the whole sitka waterfowl system if possible, but it is a ton of money. I bought mine over time. I run the sitka merino wool base layers, the dakota pants and hoodie, and the hudson bibs and pants. You have to look at it as a long term investment. It will last for years and years and years, and fits like no other system I have tried. I have tried many others,and I wore Drake prior to Sitka. There is absolutely NO comparison in my opinion.
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    225 Optimax

11. Member
    Never mind my last response. Just noticed your reply. The drake stuff is certainly good and warm. I will issue a word of caution. Your drake will be waterproof when you first get it, but shortly over time, that will wear away. It happens much quicker if you run it through the dryer, so I recommend air dry only. Hope it works out good for you and you have a great season!
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    225 Optimax

Quote Originally Posted by clayrhye View Post
    Just spend the money and get the Sitka Hudson set. I encourage getting the whole sitka waterfowl system if possible, but it is a ton of money. I bought mine over time. I run the sitka merino wool base layers, the dakota pants and hoodie, and the hudson bibs and pants. You have to look at it as a long term investment. It will last for years and years and years, and fits like no other system I have tried. I have tried many others,and I wore Drake prior to Sitka. There is absolutely NO comparison in my opinion.
    I've heard a lot of good things about Sitka, but I just am not willing to put out that kind of money right now. By the time you buy the $500 Hudson, $200-300 midlayer, $150 base layer, you are going to be closing in on $1000 for just the coat and we haven't even talked about pants or waders yet.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsktball55 View Post
    I've heard a lot of good things about Sitka, but I just am not willing to put out that kind of money right now. By the time you buy the $500 Hudson, $200-300 midlayer, $150 base layer, you are going to be closing in on $1000 for just the coat and we haven't even talked about pants or waders yet.
    I know this all too well. LOL.
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    225 Optimax