Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Is it better to run nitrogen in boat trailer tires?

My Endurance started with nitrogen but I’ve added some air to them. Wondering if I should have them purged and refilled with straight nitrogen. Would it be worth it?

Ahhh no

By volume, dry air contains 78.09% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.04% carbon dioxide, and small amounts of other gases. Air also contains a variable amount of water vapor, on average around 1% at sea level, and 0.4% over the entire atmosphere.

The tires are supposed to run cooler with nitrogen, and is supposed to be less corrosive to the rubber so in theory it should mean longer tire life.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    Ahhh no

By volume, dry air contains 78.09% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.04% carbon dioxide, and small amounts of other gases. Air also contains a variable amount of water vapor, on average around 1% at sea level, and 0.4% over the entire atmosphere.

5. Member
    Nitrogen filled tires are suppose to prevent the constant fluctuation of psi of tires. This is why my truck tires are filled with Nitrogen up here in the Minnesota winters, I never lose air pressure in tires. My trailer tires are regular air cause it's only used in nice spring/summer temps.

Where I work and I’m responsible for we have some of the most expensive corporate cars you can purchase and none of them came with nitrogen.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by larryhyco View Post
    Where I work and I’m responsible for we have some of the most expensive corporate cars you can purchase and none of them came with nitrogen.
    This doesn't matter, it would cost them to much to fill a fleet of vehicles with nitrogen.

My wife just bought a horse trailer out of Texas. I just noticed the tires on it are filled with nitrogen and they run at 100lbs of pressure cold.

9. Member
    Better? Yes. Enough to matter at all? No.

10. Banned
    Nothing but a money grabbing fad!

11. Member
    Sales gimmick. The main positive is you won't have to bump a couple of psi into the tires in the winter. But the first time you have a slow leak it completely negates the whole deal. I have an air compressor. Every gas station has an air compressor at $1.50 a use. I honestly couldn't tell you of a nitrogen charging station around me, outside of a welding shop.

12. Member
    I have Tire pressure monitoring system on my boat trailer tires (filled with air) - TPS system reports temp and pressure and the temp is always within 5-7 degrees of what the outside air temp is- when its 80 degrees outside my tire temp is 85-87 degrees. No matter if its a 15 minute drive or a 15 hour drive. Pressure will fluctuate depending on how hot or cold it gets over night but never more than a couple degrees. I wouldn't bother with nitrogen.

13. Member
    I run 78% nitrogen; 21% oxygen, and about 1% inert gases. Best combination I have found.
    Praying for a Cure

14. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    The benefits of nitrogen are all but nonexistent. The reason race teams use nitrogen is because it is dry so there isn’t as much pressure change as it gets warmer. Not a concern with a road vehicle.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

what he said, hahahaha
    Quote Originally Posted by wildturkey View Post
    I run 78% nitrogen; 21% oxygen, and about 1% inert gases. Best combination I have found.

16. Member
    This is the best possible mix.!! LOL

17. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I can sell a special generator that inserts in your compressor hose to produce this mixture from plain old air. Special BBC discount for only $79.99

PTF-66C.jpg
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

is this cash only?
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    I can sell a special generator that inserts in your compressor hose to produce this mixture from plain old air. Special BBC discount for only $79.99

PTF-66C.jpg

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post

PTF-66C.jpg
    You need and infomercial. You could sell a few. Get that guy that does the Tac Glasses to narrate it for you.

We have a local car repair shop here that the owner says an older lady brings in her car every fall to have "winter" air put in her tires...because her late husband had told her to.
    Always Think Like A Fish.....No Matter How Weird it Is!!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast