Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    Again, because nitrogen leaks out slower. You have slower pressure loss over time using nitrogen.It also doesn't react with the other elements in a tire.
    So the nitrogen in the tire is better than the nitrogen in the air?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    So the nitrogen in the tire is better than the nitrogen in the air?
    It’s not that difficult, 100% nitrogen is better than 78%. Is it needed in passenger vehicles, not really. There’s a reason people who race and aircraft use it. It holds less moisture, again making it less susceptible to temperature changes and pressure fluctuations. To get the full benefit it would definitely have to be done correctly and all of the current air purged from the tire.
    Last edited by C130; 09-23-2019 at 06:00 PM.

3. Member
    I had commented in the Allison board about how often "old wives tales" crop up. This one concerning nitrogen has come up many times on BBC. Catfan has already mentioned Gay-Lussac's law for determining pressure change due to temperature change. I am providing a link that explains it quite well. Notice in none of the gas laws, is the type of gas mentioned.
    https://www.vcalc.com/wiki/vCalc/Gay...%29+Calculator
    This is a very simple calculator and involves very simple math. The temperature must be in degrees Kelvin. Take the temperature in centigrade and add 273 to that number will give you deg. Kelvin. Also the pressure is in atmospheres. Again quite simple, just divide PSI by 14.7 will give you atmospheres. In the above calculator you will solve for P2.

However, a very simple fairly accurate rule of thumb is about 2 PSI for each 10deg F of temperature change. And again, the type gas makes no difference.

Concerning moisture, unlike a gas, water vapor does not expand linearly with temperature change. Water vapor starts to make a measurable difference in pressure at approx 150*F. It increases exponentially from 150 and up.
    So, bottom line is in the typical passenger tires nitrogen has no measurable advantage.

Concerning jet aircraft: Two major reasons, one is that jet aircraft normally use pressures not available using a standard air compressor. Second was an airworthiness directive issued in 1987. It basically says any wheel with brakes must not contain more than 5% oxygen. You can look up the AD if interested it is: AD 87-08-09
    So, the above information is just the simple facts that anybody with a computer could have looked up.

4. T Dub
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    No.
    I misunderstood your point. I am merely curious - it looked like you were saying pressure changes occur all the same regardless of the gas involved.

I change the air in my tires every time I change the oil in my xr150
    Life is kinda hard but it's
    better than the other options .. er ..option !

Quote Originally Posted by suck my wake View Post
    My wife just bought a horse trailer out of Texas. I just noticed the tires on it are filled with nitrogen and they run at 100lbs of pressure cold.
    How do you know the tires are filled with nitrogen? Not trying to give you chit at all. Just curious.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout7781 View Post
    How do you know the tires are filled with nitrogen? Not trying to give you chit at all. Just curious.
    The little green caps ... I only charge 2 bucks for 4 green caps at my shop .. gives you street cred with the Prius gangs

Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout7781 View Post
    We bought the trailer from NRS Trailers. The closest dealer was in Decatur, Texas. They wanted around $1500 to ship out to the coast. I told my wife we should go pick it up. I’ve never been on I40 east of Needles. So we drove out and picked it up. Had a great trip. When we picked it up the dealer had a young salesperson go over everything with us. He said the tires were filled with nitrogen. There’s also a sticker on the gooseneck stating the same that I just noticed the other day. Do I know for sure-no. But I tend to believe the dealer.

While I was there I was checking my phone for updates on a BASS Eastern Open. My son’s good friend who is a local here was leading. I mentioned to my wife how Austin was doing and the sales guy said I love to bass fish. He said I go with my cousin Edwin Evers all the time. He then proceeded to show me a bunch of pictures of the two of them.
    Last edited by suck my wake; 09-23-2019 at 10:09 PM.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by T Dub View Post
    I misunderstood your point. I am merely curious - it looked like you were saying pressure changes occur all the same regardless of the gas involved.
    I think he did mean that and he is correct. A gas is a gas. Makes no difference.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryT View Post
    The little green caps ... I only charge 2 bucks for 4 green caps at my shop .. gives you street cred with the Prius gangs
    Is the first one free?

Its not so much the nitrogen as it is the reduced humidity, compressed air can be dried as well and will be very similar, Shop air is all over the spectrum regarding moisture. The safest place to get reasonably dry air easily is from the paint booth in a body shop. A good painter will take a lot of precautions to get the moisture out before it gets to the paint gun. Draining as key locations, moisture traps/filters and some use refrigeration to condense and drain it out. Pressure change will then be about the same as nitrogen during temp changes
    It not worth paying for it unless you are on the race track
    Last edited by lpugh; 09-23-2019 at 10:22 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Every stoplight I'm at is the race track. No way I'm leaving 1/10,000 of a second on the table, my '78 Buick Century cannot spare it.

Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    Every stoplight I'm at is the race track. No way I'm leaving 1/10,000 of a second on the table, my '78 Buick Century cannot spare it.
    Maybe you should try helium as that would make your car lighter
    Thank You Leon Pugh

14. Member
    BBC members are geniuses on all topics... amazes me daily.

Maybe you should try helium as that would make your car lighter
    For me, or the tires?

It's kind of hard to talk smack at a stoplight in that chipmunk voice...

Thank You Leon Pugh

17. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Its not so much the nitrogen as it is the reduced humidity, compressed air can be dried as well and will be very similar, Shop air is all over the spectrum regarding moisture. The safest place to get reasonably dry air easily is from the paint booth in a body shop. A good painter will take a lot of precautions to get the moisture out before it gets to the paint gun. Draining as key locations, moisture traps/filters and some use refrigeration to condense and drain it out. Pressure change will then be about the same as nitrogen during temp changes
    A Deliquescent Dryer after a refrigerant Drier if you want it really dry.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cabela10 View Post
    BBC members are geniuses on all topics... amazes me daily.
    A lot of googlefoo going on

19. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryT View Post
    A lot of googlefoo going on
    At least one of us teaches pneumatics, others are engineers and scientists also.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

20. Member
    Tires are really just "topped off" with N2, there was an N2, O2 mixture (maybe even engine exhaust and cigarette smoke) in tire when it was installed. Total BS scam.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast