Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Social Security question

I’m retired and my wife is considering it also. What I have read is they only allow a spouse to draw 50%. Neighbors,who in my eyes are crap ,divorced in order to draw more SS retirement. Doesn’t seem fair but then what is with Uncle Sam. Is what I am being told correct? Bunch of old farts on here so Surely someone on here has been through the ordeal. Thanks in advance!

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Spousal benefit is 50% of the other spouse’s FRA benefit whether married, divorced or widowed.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

I thought if the spouse never worked or had very limited income then she/he was entitled to a spousal benefit of 50%. If both spouses have worked, they each are entitled to their own benefit. Then when one spouse passes, the other spouse is entitled to the larger of the two benefits. But I may be wrong.
    The best way to cheer yourself up is to cheer up someone else.

4. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jc1234 View Post
    I thought if the spouse never worked or had very limited income then she/he was entitled to a spousal benefit of 50%. If both spouses have worked, they each are entitled to their own benefit. Then when one spouse passes, the other spouse is entitled to the larger of the two benefits. But I may be wrong.
    i think this is closer to right.....

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

5. Member
    Yhat’s the way I understood it when we both retired

7. Member
    That’s not what I have read but I certainly hope you are correct! It reads like I draw full retirement and a spouse draws only 50% of her or my benefit depending on which is more. Dang sure doesn’t sound fair so I hope you are right! 1600.00 sounds better than 800.00 most certainly. I just thought what I read sounded crazy so maybe internet sights aren’t gospel after all!

8. HYDRA SPORT LS205 225HO JER-1 BIG BASS's Avatar
    Go to the online social security, called my benefits , your wife can see what she will draw, and can actually sign up there.
    easy

If she has never paid in SS she will draw 50% of your SS amount until your death then she will draw your full amount.
    If she has paid in SS they will calculate her draw amount and if it is less than 50% of your amount, they will increase her draw to 50% of yours. Upon your death, she will draw your full amount.
    If she has paid in and her draw is larger than 50% of your amount, she receives the larger amount until your death and then she will draw The larger of the two, whether yours or hers.
    I don’t know what happens if she dies first and is drawing more than you, but I expect you would move up to her amount.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

My wife gets way more than 50%. Just turned 66 and still working and collecting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    My wife gets way more than 50%. Just turned 66 and still working and collecting.
    If she is getting more than 50% of what you are drawing, she is drawing based on her work history, not yours.

P01135809

12. Member
    My wife and I are both retired and we both draw 100%. We both work all of our lives so she is not drawing off of mine, she is drawing on what she paid in and I am drawing on what I paid in.
    Go Big Blue!

Quote Originally Posted by pavi69 View Post
    If she is getting more than 50% of what you are drawing, she is drawing based on her work history, not yours.
    Yes, more than 50% of mine. Yes drawing on her work history 66 and is working.

Post #9 has it correct.

P01135809

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleed Blue View Post
    My wife and I are both retired and we both draw 100%. We both work all of our lives so she is not drawing off of mine, she is drawing on what she paid in and I am drawing on what I paid in.
    That's the way IT HAD BETTER WORK and my expectation. We've both worked and paid in for over 30 years
    Greg
    Edgewater 245CC

16. Member
    My wife and I are retired. I get my earned benefit and she gets her eared benefit. If I pass away hers will stop and she will get mine.

17. Member
    I thought if the spouse never worked or had very limited income then she/he was entitled to a spousal benefit of 50%.
    and we wonder why
    Greg
    Edgewater 245CC

I thought if the spouse never worked or had very limited income then she/he was entitled to a spousal benefit of 50%.
    You are correct.
    I have a friend who fished the tour for over 20 years and overall made very little money during his lifetime. His wife made over 200K a year for many years.
    His 50% draw is nearly as much as mine and I worked for 55 years.

P01135809

19. Member
    This is the correct answer

Quote Originally Posted by pavi69 View Post
    You are correct.
    I have a friend who fished the tour for over 20 years and overall made very little money during his lifetime. His wife made over 200K a year for many years.
    His 50% draw is nearly as much as mine and I worked for 55 years.
    Wow, how do you find a wife like that, to live your dream fishing the tour, while she works, and then have her earned SS waiting for you when you retire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast