Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin Dude 365 View Post
    I feel like if you are fishing the higher end reels then the need for a bearing upgrade isn't necessary. Even my Tatula ct's are more than capable of bombing lures a long way AND when there is a stiff breeze I can still whip a squarebill out there with no backlash. My brakes are at 0 and the tension knob could fall off if not careful.

I only use Tatulas myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    I only use Tatulas myself.
    Exceptional reels for the price point.
    LET'S GO BLUES!!! WILL WE MAKE THE PLAYOFFS IN 2024?

Quote Originally Posted by Bassin Dude 365 View Post
    Exceptional reels for the price point.

I agree 100%

4. Novice Boaters Forum Moderator jclark408's Avatar
    Never changed any of mine. I can't see the fishability impact.
    ------Co-founder of Post Derailment, LLC---------

5. Member
    More of an enthusiast thing for the most part. The only reel benefit would be BFS oriented reels or casting lighter baits

Only reels I've upgraded are my finesse reels. I can throw a 1/16oz drop shot on a casting rod with ease and very far, even in the wind.

Everything else I have are Diawa Steez or Fuego and I have no need to upgrade them.
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

Most new reels need to be torn down cleaned and lubed correctly. All brands, makes the biggest difference. Most are over lubed and or crappy lube.

Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    Most all my reels are around the $200.00 mark. I keep them cleaned, lubed with YRF and Super Lube, and I had most of them Super Tuned last time they were serviced by a pro. Mine are 50/50 between those with ceramic bearings, and those with stock bearings.
    I just don’t notice that much difference in smoothness, distance, or accuracy of one over the other.
    Honestly, I’d rather spend the money to have my reels cleaned, Super Tuned, and switched to a good oil and grease over replacing stock bearings.
    What is "super tuned"?
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moodyjeremy View Post
    How many of you do it or have done it? I'd like your experience and whether it's worth it or not. Are you buying a lower end reel in 100 range ad adding bearings to make it compatible with higher end reels? Does it make the reel smoother or cast further? Thanks in advance
    I would recommend watching BBC reels for sale (buy slightly used reels) and step up your stock reel game. You'll appreciate the quality difference.

10. Member
    To me:

Tuning is basically a complete disassemble, cleaning including all bearings, greasing internals including bearings except spool bearings, oil spool bearings and reassemble.

Super Tuning includes polishing all internal mechanical parts and gears, upgrading spool bearings, adding bearings to replace bushings, treating spool bearings with special oils or other lubricants like TSI 301/321 or Tungsten Disulfide, possible parts swaps from other reels such as line guides, spools, click drags or handles.

11. Member
    I had an old Curado cu200 greenie and wore out the spool bearings,they were really rough and noisy so I replaced the bearings with Boca orange. The Boca’s did cast farther but were just as noisy or more so than the old bearings. I completely disassemble my reels each year,every screw,clip and spring and give them a thorough cleaning.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12