Question Minn Kota Ulterra Issue: Rough deploy

Have a Minn Kota Ulterra. Late in the season the motor started doing something weird. When I deploy the motor, it is rough and almost uncontrolled. It quickly flies up about 50% of the way, bounces abruptly, and continues to bounce until the motor reaches the vertical position and starts to lower. If I "catch" the motor after it flies up the initial 50%, it will continue to deploy smoothly.

I think it could be the belt tension, since I have not adjusted it in the 3 years I have owned the motor.

I was thinking it could also be the strut damper within the motor.

Anyone have experience with a similar issue?

2. Member
    Deploy the motor and check the belt tension. You want it snug against the shaft. Also look at the shaft and see if it's worn/rough up and down the edges where the belt runs. Take the right side plate off and look at the worm gear on the motor while deploying -- is it bent? Look at the tolerance between the steering module and the edge of the mount - maybe the steering module is hanging on the edge of the mount while deploying.
    I don't know what you're referring to as the "strut damper within the motor"
    The deployment of the motor consist of the trim module moving the motor off the ramps apx 14", the deploy motor standing the motor up, the trim motor trimming the motor back to the location where it was when stowed. Since it's happening when you're deploying, I feel it's going to be either the worm gear is bent or the the steering module is misaligned not allowing it to easily go between the mounts.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    Deploy the motor and check the belt tension. You want it snug against the shaft. Also look at the shaft and see if it's worn/rough up and down the edges where the belt runs. Take the right side plate off and look at the worm gear on the motor while deploying -- is it bent? Look at the tolerance between the steering module and the edge of the mount - maybe the steering module is hanging on the edge of the mount while deploying.
    The deployment of the motor consist of the trim module moving the motor off the ramps apx 14", the deploy motor standing the motor up, the trim motor trimming the motor back to the location where it was when stowed. Since it's happening when you're deploying, I feel it's going to be either the worm gear is bent or the the steering module is misaligned not allowing it to easily go between the mounts.
    John
    Thank you for the response and ideas on what to check out. I will give it a look sometime over the winter. For the "strut damper within the motor", I was refereing to that the Minn Kota Parts Diagram referes to as Part #98 - Damper-Hybrid (PN 2208802). I am not sure exactly what its function is, but I was assuming it may damp the deployment as the motor initially picks up and goes from stowed to starting to deploy. Attached is a screenshot from the parts diagram showing the damper.

Attached Images Attached Images

4. Member
    That's just a hydraulic strut that takes some of the weight off the deployment motor assembly when deploying and stowing. It works/functions the same as a "lift assist" strut on some of the motors with a bow mount.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    John
    My Ulterra is having some problems with the vertical drive.
    When it just about reaches full up, just before it stows, it starts to bind.
    Had to leave the lake early today and when I got home I lubed up the shaft with silicone spray and worked it in, it seemed to get better and finally stopped giving a motor error during the deploy sequence.
    When it would error out, I could feel the motor trying to deploy and if I helped it, it would go.
    After close visual inspection of the shaft I could see as you describe, worn/roughed up edge where the belt runs, only on one side though.
    I suspect this is also causing the binding internally where I couldn't see much after taking off the top cover with 6 screws.
    Just wondering what my options are for repair.
    I would prefer to fix it myself as I'm sure the warranty is up, I'm past 2 years now.

Thanks,
    Scott
    20190920_153430.jpg
    20190920_153451.jpg
    20190920_153536.jpg
    20190920_153543.jpg
    Last edited by tweakjr; 09-20-2019 at 08:13 PM.
    Console [HELIX 10MSI G3N || HELIX 10MSI G3N]
    Bow [HELIX 12 CHIRP SI GPS G2N] || RC-2] || [HELIX 10MSI G4N] || [M360 UNIVERSAL MOUNT] || [Mega Live]
    ULTERRA80/US2/IPLINK-60" BT || 2xAS ETH 5PXG || Victron IP67 12V/25A || [NoCo Genius GX2440 24V/40A]
    [X2 GROUP 31] x 3 || [Battleborn 31 lithium]
    Alumacraft Voyageur 175/Yamaha VF115LA

6. Member
    Wiping the shaft with a water based silicone on a rag is recommended in the manual. The herky jerky deployment sure sounds like something to try before it turns into something more. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

7. Member
    From the picture first thing I see is that the belt needs to be tighten. Looks like as John stated above the trim module and shaft are out of alignment and that is causing the ware spot on the shaft. Not sure what to tell you on this. It could be a costly repair if out of warranty.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    From the picture first thing I see is that the belt needs to be tighten. Looks like as John stated above the trim module and shaft are out of alignment and that is causing the ware spot on the shaft. Not sure what to tell you on this. It could be a costly repair if out of warranty.
    I was actually wondering if the belt tension was too tight and causing the trim module to "pull" the shaft against the internal rollers.
    The picture you're probably referring to is me holding the belt out of the way so you can see the wear.
    Console [HELIX 10MSI G3N || HELIX 10MSI G3N]
    Bow [HELIX 12 CHIRP SI GPS G2N] || RC-2] || [HELIX 10MSI G4N] || [M360 UNIVERSAL MOUNT] || [Mega Live]
    ULTERRA80/US2/IPLINK-60" BT || 2xAS ETH 5PXG || Victron IP67 12V/25A || [NoCo Genius GX2440 24V/40A]
    [X2 GROUP 31] x 3 || [Battleborn 31 lithium]
    Alumacraft Voyageur 175/Yamaha VF115LA

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tweakjr View Post
    I was actually wondering if the belt tension was too tight and causing the trim module to "pull" the shaft against the internal rollers.
    The picture you're probably referring to is me holding the belt out of the way so you can see the wear.
    Correct. Use the 3 finger rule. If you can put more than 3 fingers under the belt then it is too loose. Tighten it until you can barely put three fingers under the belt. If you run out of tightening space then replace the belt.