Replacing Ranger Cool Hub oil

So probably a few years back, I changed it out as I had the Lucas Hub Oil still in my shed. Just took out the set screw and started draining the old out and its definitely like a milky color, as is the viewing glass. Should hub oil be changed every season? Just noticed too that the spare tire which is like brand new was manufactured in 2005. The tires which are made in China (Sailun?) don't have a date code on them but still look good. How full should I fill the sight glass? Trailer/Boat are a 2004.
    Last edited by NHbassfisherman; 09-20-2019 at 04:34 PM.

2. Member
    Fill it until it's full on those hubs. I would buy a new spare fiberglass fenders cost way more than a tire.

3. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Milky color is not good in hub oil. Typically means intrusion of water. Tires can dry rot even if they’ve never touched the ground. That’s the bad news. The good news is that, apparently, you’ve gotten by for a very long time as is. A large percentage of boat owners have tire and/or hub problems in half the years yours has already been on the road. Must be living a good, clean life.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

I do it every year. Mine called for 50 weight motor oil. Not hub oil and not synthetic.

5. Member
    As said above, change the tires, most trailer tires are outside of their lifespan well before the tread is gone. As for the hubs, I always used Lucas M8 full synthetic gear oil and changed it annually. The milky color is concerning. Maybe change oil and inspect hubs and seals with the tires off. I changed the full assembly out with Ranger supplied parts on my 2003 trailer in 2017. Maybe $300 they sent me new hubs, bearings and seals fully assembled. I swapped them and cleaned up the old ones for emergency spares.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

6. Member
    swap tires every 7-8 years even if they look new safest
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

7. Member
    If it's milky you need to do some maintenance. Seals should be replaced. You have a bigger problem than just changing oil.

From the Ranger Trailer Department during my several plant tours...one drop of water will change all of the oil in the hubs to a milky color. This is NOT a problem, as you can get one drop of water from condensation when you back warm hubs into cool lake water. However, if you live in a climate where temps get quite cold in winter, change the oil to prevent the bearings from pitting from frozen water. However, when the oil gets chunky looking, like sour milk, it must be changed to avoid problems.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

9. Member
    He does not know if it is just "one drop of water." Milky oil as you said indicates water intrusion. These hubs have a long and storied past of ruining trips and fenders. Change seals and keep fresh oil, or better yet change to grease and get rid of the the oil bath hubs.

Quote Originally Posted by BassinR83 View Post
    He does not know if it is just "one drop of water." Milky oil as you said indicates water intrusion. These hubs have a long and storied past of ruining trips and fenders. Change seals and keep fresh oil, or better yet change to grease and get rid of the the oil bath hubs.
    That's exactly what I would do.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

11. dartag1829
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    That's exactly what I would do.
    Do you need to replace the hubs or can you pack the oil bath hub bearings.

12. Member
    No you don’t. I replaced mine and it was fairly easy. You need to clean and/or replace the races and bearings. You will need a new rear seal and replace the oil window with a cap or bearing buddy. I prefer using the cap over bearing buddies.

13. Member
    And of course grease.