New Fury 4 prop, thoughts on jack plate adjustment?

I have a new Bass Cat Caracal, 225 Merc 4 Stroke, 2 PPs, 2 25 gallon gas tanks in the rear. Came with a Fury 24p 3 blade. I don't have a lot of experience playing with jack plates (last boat didn't have one), but I was not happy with the hole shot with the 3 blade when it was tournament loaded, so I raised the Merc up about 1/2 inch on my manual jackplate. It helped with hole shot, made it a little easier to drive at 60+, but it blows out just a bit when getting up on plane. I have not had a lot of clean water since I got it, but at 64mph rolling steady which is about as fast as I am comfortable with now until I get my chine walking prevention stuff down better, its turning 5400rpm and water pressure is about 20. All holes unplugged. I am tilting up to where the rooster tail is throwing a foot or so above the cowling, which seems to be the sweet spot.

Just got in a Fury 24p 4 blade. My understanding is I will be able to run with engine higher with the four blade. Not speed demon and not trying to eke out ever mph out of the boat btw. I have time to mess around a little bit Sun morn, but at a busy lake with a crowded ramp, so trying to speed up the jack plate sweet spot process a little.

Wondering if first shot should be to try it where its at now, or is it likely I will can raise it up a little higher with the four blade and not blow out?
    Last edited by danceswithquail; 09-20-2019 at 04:50 PM.

2. Member
    First get a prop to pad measurement on what you have now with the Fury 3 which should run around 3" under then you may be able to raise it up but don't make any big jumps in height only 1/4" at a time. Fury 3 props tend to run lower than others because they are smaller in diameter but both Fury's will throw a blade if you try to run them too high prop to pad to get more speed. You really need to learn how to drive that boat before you buy any more props or you could end up with some Fury door stops. Your about 7-8 mph off now so you have a lot of speed left in it and your rooster tail is a little high.

3. Member
    Took it out yesterday evening (as usual of late, 15mph steady wind with gusts higher), but left jackplate alone and really like the four blade, improved hole shot and gets to 60 faster, no blow outs, little easier to drive. I could only find about 200 yds of clean water the way the wind was blowing, but feel good that the four blade won't be one of my door stops (I am thinking more wall decor pieces for my extra props vs door stops tho).

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by danceswithquail View Post
    Took it out yesterday evening (as usual of late, 15mph steady wind with gusts higher), but left jackplate alone and really like the four blade, improved hole shot and gets to 60 faster, no blow outs, little easier to drive. I could only find about 200 yds of clean water the way the wind was blowing, but feel good that the four blade won't be one of my door stops (I am thinking more wall decor pieces for my extra props vs door stops tho).
    Good to hear that you are learning your boat's needs, since they are no different than a new relationship, hopefully improving and complementing. I do not know of any of my friends with Bass Cats having issues with chine walking as long as nothing stupid done.
    I would suggest leaving your JP alone and establish your P to P measurement as a benchmark for future adjustments, and if you are still getting blowout try large hole plugs to remove some ventilation from prop stream. Lord willing, you will get a chance to get some nice weather and establish your WOT RPMs and GPS speed, but I would suggest while on land learn your trim gauge by bringing motor up till it starts into tilt. Learning that will help you NOT to overtrim, which would cause the stupid looking rooster tail you see in the back of some boats that are slower than a barge, but have a 10' rooster tail.
    When you feel confident with your new boat, and get that need for speed, as suggest before me, mark your JP and start bringing it up 1/4" increments, but watch your water pressure and MAX RPM. Don't get too low, and don't get too high.

Return the 24 four blade and get a 23 3 blade for starter, you probably will need to run some combination of PVS plugs in it
    Thank You Leon Pugh

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Return the 24 four blade and get a 23 3 blade for starter, you probably will need to run some combination of PVS plugs in it
    Ipugh,
    If he was blowing out at break over with a 24 pitch 3 blades, What do you think it will happen if he goes DOWN to 23P 3 blade regardless of PVS set up??
    A Fury 4 24p will grip the water like my American Bully on is toy rope, especially if not enough ventilation from PVS set up, but his holeshot may suffer a bit.
    Bass Cat Caracal is kinda heavy for a 20' nearly 1800# needing all the lift it can get out of that prop, which the Fury 4 will provide over a 3 blade and give it better mid range lift at lower RPMs.
    Personally, I would try a 25P Tempest Plus with large hole PVS set up, which should be a good max out prop for that 225 4 banger keeping the RPMs within that 5700-6000 range.
    I run a small hub 25P Trophy Plus open PVS with added rake cupping, and a 25P Tempest Plus large hole PVS with added pitch/rake cupping both have been Croxtonized for my boat and set up on my worked 2003 Merc 225 EFI hanging on a 10" JP 2nd hole 2.875" P to P off my 02 Cobra 201DC fantastic holeshot and grip both top off at low to mid 70's.

7. Member
    Loaded RPM's @ WOT dictate proper pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    ^^^^^^^^Exactly and a 225 is not going get the rpm on that boat. That much weight and a 225 needs a lower final gear ratio IE: 23 pitch. Furthermore four strokes need far less venting if any
    digthemup this is not an EFI Motor
    Thank You Leon Pugh

I'll bet you a dollar it is...

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

10. Member
    ^^^^^^^^Exactly and a 225 is not going get the rpm on that boat. That much weight and a 225 needs a lower final gear ratio IE: 23 pitch. Furthermore four strokes need far less venting if any
    I know it is not an EFI since it was said being a 4 banger 225, but it does have a 1.87 :1 gearing allowing that motor to turn up higher. Regardless, if he is blowing out a 24P 3 blades, a 23P is going to blow out more, hence, when he went to a 24P 4 blade no blow cause holding the water on more blades better.
    My lower unit is a 1.75:1 loading up the motor sooner, just like a 3.55 vs 4.10 rears.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post

12. Member
    lpugh is probably right about needing a 23" prop to get the rpm's up closer to 6000 but it is an efi motor just not a 2 stroke.

Your nit picking, optimax is a EFI as well, so is verado as well as most motors these days
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Your nit picking, optimax is a EFI as well, so is verado as well as most motors these days
    I'll take my dollar in large please...

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    lpugh is probably right about needing a 23" prop to get the rpm's up closer to 6000 but it is an efi motor just not a 2 stroke.
    I thought that those things are all direct injection, which though close to the same principle 1 is in each cylinder head and 1 is in the intake. Supposedly, they are more efficient in fuel and power.
    Regardless, Savage hit that nail on the head, since once he gets done with his set up, WOT RPM's will determine what wheel he will be able to spin whether is DFI. EFI, 2 stroke or 4.
    Seat time will make any rig better by learning what she needs to make you and her happy.

Did you post this in the Bass Cat section? I’m sure there are others with a Caracal that can help you and have already been through this with the 4 stroke.

17. Member
    Ok I’ll try, I have a 2019 caracal no power poles, the best prop for me is a 24 trophy worked to a 23 by Mark and by myself with full fuel and lots of tackle the best is 74+ @ almost 6100 rpms. I’ve also run a 24 fury and 25 fury both setup by Mark. From where the factory sets the jackplate,I’m about 1/8 in higher. Lot of guys run the 24 fury but I really think this boat needs a 23 to get the rpms. Hope this help some

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SOUTHERNYANKEE View Post
    Ok I’ll try, I have a 2019 caracal no power poles, the best prop for me is a 24 trophy worked to a 23 by Mark and by myself with full fuel and lots of tackle the best is 74+ @ almost 6100 rpms. I’ve also run a 24 fury and 25 fury both setup by Mark. From where the factory sets the jackplate,I’m about 1/8 in higher. Lot of guys run the 24 fury but I really think this boat needs a 23 to get the rpms. Hope this help some
    This adds an all new twist to this conundrum, is it a Small hub Trophy Plus? and what PVS set up? I have no doubts that the Wheelmiester had you send him all your setup details for your rig.
    Though you did not say, you are running the same Merc 225 DFI 4 banger right?? which I thought RMPs range is 55-6000 max, so you are really very close banging into revlimiter.
    BTW, did Mark work down some pitch but add cupping pitch and rake??

19. Member
    My bad, 225 mercury 4s,max rpm 5600-6200.small hub trophy pitched and balanced to 23 running prop ring and the pvs are med I believe

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SOUTHERNYANKEE View Post
    My bad, 225 mercury 4s,max rpm 5600-6200.small hub trophy pitched and balanced to 23 running prop ring and the pvs are med I believe
    Is your 2019 Merc 225 4 stroke Pro XS? in which case that would be the correct RPM range 5600-6200 spinning a torquemaster 1.75:1 like my 2 stroke, and the standard 4 stroke 1.87:1 max out 6000. If your is a Pro XS, it should be a V8 DOHC, and standard V6 DOHC???
    Sound like ventilation is been limited on your set up with ring and med PVS, which should help with blow out.