Tool Box and 5th Wheel

I have a 2018 Duramax SWB Crew Cab - 3/4 ton. I have a RCI standard tool box that goes across the back right behind the cab. I think it's ~ 18" long. Question is: I've been thinking of stepping up to a 5th wheel, and probably a pretty large one. Can I keep the tool box in place? I've seen some of the hitches that seem to off-set the trailer rearward that probably wouldn't conflict the box. Just wondering if there is anybody with a tool box in pulling a 5th wheel.
    Thanks,
    Bryan O' Z521-250ProXS V8
    Total Recreation Products Inc.
    Commercial Park and Playground Equipment
    totalrecreation.net

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    By SWB do you mean the short bed? Normally you have problems with the front of the trailer hitting the tool box when turning and going up hill at the same time with a short bed and a tool box that goes above the rails. You generally have to watch moving the pin back because then you run into issues with the bottom of the pin box hitting the bed rails or tailgate.

If you are looking at a large 5th wheel, you generally have to make the jump to DRW to handle the pin weight.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Happiness is a Sporty! F150owner's Avatar
    So many variables. Off hand, I'd say if it is a big, tall, saddle style tool box, yes, it could conflict with clearance. Your RV dealer can tell you by looking at it. I have a tool box on mine but it is a small, low profile saddle type tool box. I recently switched to the Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel hitch which gave me 9" more setback.

Allison XB21 2+2, Merc 250 ProXS, 1.62 Sportmaster, Hydromotive Engineering X-OB 29
    Excel 1751 Viper F4, Tohatsu 50 4-stroke, EZ-Trac trailer
    FeelFree Lure 11.5 Kayak

You can get by with a under the rails tool box, but a standard mount tool box will likely make turning an adventure. Your camper to toolbox distance will likely be too short for smaller, tighter campgrounds and other areas where you have to really crank it around to get in and out of certain spots. We have a 40ft fifth wheel we pull with a swb F250 and I have an under the rails box that works fine.

5. Member
    Thanks for the responses. The box I have is the typical 6" tall above the rail type that mounts on the top of the bedcap. I would probably have conflict problems in real tight turns. I've always pulled trailer hitch type trailers, and never needed to really turn that tight though. I pull boats, a 36' Outback, and utility and equipment trailers up to 20'. I just hate to have to get one to try it out. I really like the secure storage of a good toolbox.
    Again, thanks for the help
    Bryan O' Z521-250ProXS V8
    Total Recreation Products Inc.
    Commercial Park and Playground Equipment
    totalrecreation.net

6. Member
    You "might" can go with a lower profile toolbox. I am running with a lower Weatherguard box and use an Anderson 5th wheel hitch on my short bed 3/4 ton Ram. I have no issues at all with the camper to toolbox clearance. I have a couple of pics of it hooked up on the thread below this one about short 5th wheels if you want to see it. I have seen the taller profile boxes and yes they would probably hit being as tall as they are but this one I am using works fine and its not a under the rails box.
    '06 Gambler 2100
    '06 Mercury Racing 250XS

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan O View Post
    Thanks for the responses. The box I have is the typical 6" tall above the rail type that mounts on the top of the bedcap. I would probably have conflict problems in real tight turns. I've always pulled trailer hitch type trailers, and never needed to really turn that tight though. I pull boats, a 36' Outback, and utility and equipment trailers up to 20'. I just hate to have to get one to try it out. I really like the secure storage of a good toolbox.
    Again, thanks for the help
    It’s not always just tight turns that get you with a 5th wheel. It’s the turns when the truck and trailer are sitting at different angles. It’s hard to keep clear in your head where things will go as you move. With a box standing above the bed, you could be in a moderate turn and a wheel on the truck go into a low spot and raise the box up to hit the trailer. No setup makes it impossible to have contact between truck and trailer.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​