Question Suggestions for I-pad to play with Lakemaster Maps

I've read more old threads on Fishsmart and ChartSelect than I care to admit over the last 2 days. I think I get how to purchase an individual lake to download to a SD card and how that also gets me a free copy to play with on FishSmart App. I also now understand that buying a regional mapping card doesn't entitle me to be able to play with them on an I-pad with FishSmart app. I understand I would have to purchase a lake off ChartSelect in order to do that. I'm interested in purchasing a few individual lakes off ChartSelect and will want to explore them while enjoying the comfort of my couch.

I currently do not own a device (other than my cell phone) that I can play with these maps on. I also want to have an SD card slot to download the maps I purchase for my Helix.

I'm not paying for cellular service for this device. I'll just use my home Wi-Fi. I don't need this device (will likely purchase on Amazon or ebay) to serve any purpose other than to play with these maps and download to an SD card. I suppose it would be nice to take on the boat with me but not sure even that is necessary. I read on an old thread were it's impossible to see the screen when outdoors with certain models. Someone mentioned the I-pad pro 10.7 was a good one. But I'd appreciate suggestions.

I've been wanting to pick up a tablet with good ouside visibility for a while myself ..... I had kinda given up on it since most of them I checked out were really poor outside.
    They are ready to pull our their guns when you ask them if you can take it outside to see what it looks like in the sunlight. One sales guy agreed to take it outside, but then wouldn't let me hold it out there ..... guess I look like a criminal or something.

I'll be interested to see other responses.
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**
    __________________________________________________ ___

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

3. Member
    I deleted this as it was 2014. There is a Nokia with 1000 NT's
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

4. Member
    Seems the Drone forums are big on bright tablets. Maybe get on one of those. Bob
    Last edited by bobcoy; 09-20-2019 at 06:41 PM.
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

5. Member
    I'm still researching. I'm keep you all posted. For my particular situation, the outside visibility is a far second to finding a cheap as possible device to download and play with maps. I've learned that Ipads don't have memory card slots (something most people already were aware of). I'm looking at Amazon Fire HD 10 because it has a microSD card reader. Does anyone out there know if this device can download maps off Chartselect? It has the Google Play app choices available to it.

If it does this may be my choice. It's not a problem to put a micro 32GB into an adapter and put in my Humminbird (Helix 10) is it?

Quote Originally Posted by BassCatKev View Post
    I'm still researching. I'm keep you all posted. For my particular situation, the outside visibility is a far second to finding a cheap as possible device to download and play with maps. I've learned that Ipads don't have memory card slots (something most people already were aware of). I'm looking at Amazon Fire HD 10 because it has a microSD card reader. Does anyone out there know if this device can download maps off Chartselect? It has the Google Play app choices available to it.

If it does this may be my choice. It's not a problem to put a micro 32GB into an adapter and put in my Humminbird (Helix 10) is it?
    To get the Lakemaster Chart Select maps on a tablet or smartphone, you install the FishSmart App.
    Then you purchase the map via Chart Select.
    Then you can copy the map to an Encrypted memory card to use in a Humminbird unit.
    AND you can download the map from your Chart Select account to the FishSmart app--a memory card is not involved.

I have Chart Select maps on one of my iPads and Android smartphone with the FishSmart app.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    To get the Lakemaster Chart Select maps on a tablet or smartphone, you install the FishSmart App.
    Then you purchase the map via Chart Select.
    Then you can copy the map to an Encrypted memory card to use in a Humminbird unit.
    AND you can download the map from your Chart Select account to the FishSmart app--a memory card is not involved.

I have Chart Select maps on one of my iPads and Android smartphone with the FishSmart app.
    Yes sir. Thanks for the post. I will need to download onto an encrypted card because I need a lake in HD that my version 4 Lakemaster regional card didn't have in HD (Cumberland).

Yes sir. Thanks for the post. I will need to download onto an encrypted card because I need a lake in HD that my version 4 Lakemaster regional card didn't have in HD (Cumberland).
    A few software updates ago, an Encrypt folder is automatically put on any unlocked memory card inserted into a unit.
    You don't have to do the Encrypt function in the unit's menu.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

9. Member
    So what do you do then? Just put a blank 32G card in my turned on Helix 10, wait a second or two and take out?
    Last edited by BassCatKev; 09-23-2019 at 01:20 PM.

So what do you do then? Just put a blank 32G card in my turned on Helix 10, what a second or two and take out?
    Yep and it doesn't have to be a 32GB size. I have several on 8GB cards since that is the smallest I could find locally.

The size of the files on Chart Select is shown for each map layer and the total for all if you want all of them.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL