Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar

I know I'm getting older but how many fish without a seat on your boats?????

I cannot for the life of me fish without a front seat , I just don't have the stamina or the balance any more . I know many do but can't seem to work for me I guess having a back operation and arthritis is playing in on this besides my age but wish I could and was wondering how many use a front seat or pro pole as I call them
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

2. Member
    I don’t unless I’m fishing up on Lake Ontario where the waves make it hard to stand. To me it gets in the way but after a rough day on the water my knees are so shot I can barely walk up stairs... and I’m only 28
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

3. Member
    Always have seat in, balance sucks on flat ground.. add water and let the fun begin

4. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    Always have front pedastal in.

Dale Sinclair original

Never

6. Member
    Always have one in, bad lower back and wake boats don't make a for a fun day.

7. Member
    I use the front pedestal and butt seat to lean against, that's pretty much it...........

8. Member
    I only fish with a front seat if it's rough, otherwise I leave the seat out. I prefer to have it out if I can. I spend much of my time on Lake Michigan, so usually it's in when I fish the big water.

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)

Always have a butt seat in to lean against. With the boat rocking and one foot on the trolling motor, my balance isn't the greatest.

I always fish with the pedestal up front, both for balance when the wakeboarders want to get close enough for a kiss, and to sit/lean on later in the day as I start to tire from standing.

11. Member
    I can't be on the front deck without my butt seat to lean on. I just don't like to stand. The one or two times a year that we fish for walleye or panfish, I take the butt seat out and put the regular seat in and sit down while we're anchored.

Nope, I am kind active up front, that thing will put me in
    the drink. Don't like rods on the deck either. I like to be able to move around, change my angles. Having the body in the correct position matters. Comes from coaching footwork body position in sports, the seat fixed in the middle just gets in the way.

13. Member
    I'm 77. I must have a pedestal to lean against and hold on to when I get waked.

Never

I have my butt seat on the front deck, but seldom use it. Late in the afternoon I might need it on some days. For me, the key is working out and strengthening my core. Before I stared working out 6 years ago, I needed to use a seat most of the day. So, at 67, I feel pretty good standing all day.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

16. Member
    Only on the the great lakes

Nope......

18. Member
    Always have one because of hips. If fishing shallow and not windy sometimes I’ll put it away

Quote Originally Posted by local16 View Post
    Always have front pedastal in.
    Me too . I have a bad leg and would not last 15 minutes without seat but can go all day with seat .
    Last edited by LTZ25; 09-20-2019 at 12:29 PM.

20. Member
    I used to fish without a front butt seat in calm weather before I got my first recessed TM pedal setup. For some reason, I felt more stable when the TM pedal was sitting level on top off the front casting deck. Once I got my first boat with a recessed pedal mount, I use the butt seat as a leaning pole 100% of the time.

This year, I developed chemo induced nueropathy in my fingers and feet. So I have been glued to my butt seat hanging on for dear life. Good thing to as more wake boats are showing up. On a wide lake you can get blindsided by a rogue wake without even knowing a boat passed.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast