Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dexter "wet bolts "

I just replaced my equalizers/ shackles with dexters wet bolt kit. It wasn't hard or easy, was definitely a two person job with a lot of physical negotiation but we did it with normal tools. Anyways the ride quality is greatly improved over my warn out and damaged stock equipment. I have something like 60-70k on this trailer (I will get a very close number later as I keep track of lakes I pull to and add it up at the end of the season)

my shackles were no longer a whole but an oval, and the bolts are worn as well. Not to mention the plastic bushings were probably only 55% there as many points were worn through. The dexter shackles are about 3 times thicker.

One last part about the dexter wet kit. No one had an appropriate hanger on hand. So I expedited the correct hanger, was quoted 2-3 weeks (4-8 weeks normal) and I still took just shy of 11 weeks. So that's terrible along with the kit is packed pretty poorly and is extremely dirty to the point where I cleaned all the bolts nuts and metal bushings before install.

I will show my old hardware to my buddies with high mileage and recommend this to them.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    I just replaced my equalizers/ shackles with dexters wet bolt kit. It wasn't hard or easy, was definitely a two person job with a lot of physical negotiation but we did it with normal tools.

Agree....

Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

Tag for reference. My 2007 trailer has a bunch of miles, and needs some TLC. This may be the ticket. Thanks for posting.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

4. Member
    I just replaced my equalizers/ shackles with dexters wet bolt kit. It wasn't hard or easy, was definitely a two person job with a lot of physical negotiation but we did it with normal tools.

X2

Installed the above system in 08 on a 04 trailer and still going today.

Pulled some bolts last year to check bushings and found very little wear thanks to the wet bolts.

Seriously it pulls so good like a Buick floating down crappy roads. Before I did it it road like it didn't have springs. Kinda like the slotted shackles would slam for end to end kinda like a cheaply lowered Honda Civic. Also I love how the shackles are 3 times as wide.

oh and my boat/trailer is less than 4 years old.

Ed R, how is that flex suspension equalizer?

Just a naive question here, if wet bolts are the way to go, why don't manufacturers use them right from the plant?
    Steve
    2006 BassCat Puma
    2006 Yamaha 250 HPDI
    Team Daiwa!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 187 View Post

Just a naive question here, if wet bolts are the way to go, why don't manufacturers use them right from the plant?
    I'm sure it's a cost thing, 175$ vrs 7$ for plastic bushings and thin components

8. Member
    I'm sure it's a cost thing, 175$ vrs 7$ for plastic bushings and thin components
    This.. ^^^^^

Originally Posted by Steve 187

Can't say I saw or felt any difference, just a much quieter ride.
    Ed R.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed R View Post
    This.. ^^^^^

Originally Posted by Steve 187

Can't say I saw or felt any difference, just a much quieter ride.
    Quieter ride is my end game. I know you can get a wet-bolt kit with the standard equalizer, or pay $120 more for the one n you pic. Just curious if the upgraded equalizer made the difference or just the wet-bolts alone.
    Steve
    2006 BassCat Puma
    2006 Yamaha 250 HPDI
    Team Daiwa!

Quieter ride is my end game. I know you can get a wet-bolt kit with the standard equalizer, or pay $120 more for the one n you pic. Just curious if the upgraded equalizer made the difference or just the wet-bolts alone.
    My trailer still isn't quite, I put new brake pads in it a month ago and they still rattle a bunch, so look into them too

My trailer still isn't quite, I put new brake pads in it a month ago and they still rattle a bunch, so look into them too
    Not sure any tandem with surge brakes will ever be totally quiet.
    Steve
    2006 BassCat Puma
    2006 Yamaha 250 HPDI
    Team Daiwa!

12. Member
    A friend and I did the whole system at once. Springs, shackles, wet bolts, and equalizers. I can't say if just the wet bolts are the answer. I still get some rattle at times, but it's not the rattle trap it once was.
    Ed R.

13. Member
    Can you tell me what made this a two person job? I looked at some videos and they have one person doing it.

my shackles were no longer a whole but an oval, and the bolts are worn as well. Not to mention the plastic bushings were probably only 55% there as many points were worn through.
    Is there a way to inspect these without pulling it apart? I looked at mine and they seem ok but the trailer squeaks like hell.
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post
    Can you tell me what made this a two person job? I looked at some videos and they have one person doing it.

Is there a way to inspect these without pulling it apart? I looked at mine and they seem ok but the trailer squeaks like hell.
    1 2 person job because it didn't line up even though I only had one bolt /shackle out at first. (Weird because I had it apartment like that before and it lined up fine) probably shook the springs some tapping the metal bushings into position. So we made it a two person job because it all came apart before we got it back together at all this means the entire weight of the axiom and springs was free to hold where as if you can do one side/ one end of one side at a time it really doesn't go far and is easily a one person job. But it got all out of my plan quickly and two people made it work.

2 Not really but it is super easy to turn the shackles out one at a time, you probably don't need to take the bolt out even to see if your good or shot like mine

id suggest when you go over a man hole cover in town, just push on your trucks breaks some to squeeze the trailers brakes as it goes over the bump if there is no rattling it is all brake related. If it still rattles it's the shackles. You can also reach in and grab the calipers while it is parked and unhooked from the truck. And wiggle them to see if that's the sound your hearing.

side note after several hundred miles and a second dose of grease my trailer is very quiet now almost like they wore in and the new grease has it just happy as a lark.

I just replaced my equalizers/ shackles with dexters wet bolt kit. It wasn't hard or easy, was definitely a two person job with a lot of physical negotiation but we did it with normal tools. Anyways the ride quality is greatly improved over my warn out and damaged stock equipment. I have something like 60-70k on this trailer (I will get a very close number later as I keep track of lakes I pull to and add it up at the end of the season)

my shackles were no longer a whole but an oval, and the bolts are worn as well. Not to mention the plastic bushings were probably only 55% there as many points were worn through. The dexter shackles are about 3 times thicker.

One last part about the dexter wet kit. No one had an appropriate hanger on hand. So I expedited the correct hanger, was quoted 2-3 weeks (4-8 weeks normal) and I still took just shy of 11 weeks. So that's terrible along with the kit is packed pretty poorly and is extremely dirty to the point where I cleaned all the bolts nuts and metal bushings before install.

I will show my old hardware to my buddies with high mileage and recommend this to them.

Link please

2013 Phoenix 721 ProXP

https://www.etrailer.com/search/Wet+Bolt+Kit
    just make sure you get the right equalizer. They probably only have the one in the link. I needed a 6" not a 3" so I had to deal a lot of crap as said in the beginning of the thread.

17. Member
    I got the K71-358-00 heavy duty kit and the shackles are too long for my single axle trailer. I don't see a standard duty kit with wet bolts. In the "kits" the the bolts seem to be already attached to the shackles.

Any reason I can't just buy the wet bolts, bushings, and correct length shackles separately and put it together myself?

Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post
    I got the K71-358-00 heavy duty kit and the shackles are too long for my single axle trailer. I don't see a standard duty kit with wet bolts. In the "kits" the the bolts seem to be already attached to the shackles.

Any reason I can't just buy the wet bolts, bushings, and correct length shackles separately and put it together myself?
    probably cant do that, the bolts are narled at the head end to not spin on the shackle, and since the shackles are 3 or 4 times as thick that will be one issue but the other issue will be the bolts are shoulder bolts and skinnier shackles will not allow for any bit of "snugging" as there will be slop.

how long are your shackles? center of bolt to center of bolt? the kit you said is 2.5"

19. Member

how long are your shackles? center of bolt to center of bolt? the kit you said is 2.5"
    Nope. The kit I referenced is 3.125" center to center. I think what I need is 2.5".

Huh. I searched the kit you listed and it brought me here. Look at the second picture https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lea...iABEgJp6_D_BwE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast