Thread: Test Tank

Question Test Tank

How effective would a trough be as a test tank to test a motor under load? Trying to see if it could be done instead of always having to go to a lake.
    Eddie
    2017 Phoenix 920 Pro XP Mercury 250 Pro XS

2. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    I have a 1 hundred gallon tank.....it would be empty in 5 secs if I were to put into gear.........

What if I was to put some kind of lid to help contain the water and of course keep filling it? Just trying to test my motor under load for a short period. If it's not workable I have a decent enough lake just to run a boat about 20 minutes from me.
    Eddie

4. Member
    Do you have a spare motor you want to use? Go to the lake, you can fish while your there.

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    I also have a 100 gal Rubber maid tank, I use if for the back pressure, can't tweak the motor up but can bump in gear will splash out.

Back in the dealership days, we used a 500 gallon oil tank with the front half of the tank cut off so we could drop the motors in but we'd still have to use a test wheel too much turbulence from a prop.

6. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Same as Championman, I had a dealership from 81 through 92 and used a 500-gallon tank with a drop-down splash cover, and still needed to use a test wheel to get any kind of load readings. Regular prop pushes way too much water, way too quickly.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

Thanks all, was just tossing the idea around to see if it was do-able. Had another post with bogging down issues. Gap was off on all plugs, seeing if I could do a test here but just going to take it to the lake.
    Eddie