Possible purchase of a 2004 520vx

Hey guys as the title says I'm considering an 04 520vx that a friend of a friend has for sale. Has a 225hp optimax with about 800hrs on it. Compression tested good, has good but older graphs on it and he put an ultrex on it last year. Trying to decide if it's worth going after an older boat with this many hours or if I should let it go. The price is a very good deal and I don't think it will last long. I know of the guy who has the boat, but don't know him personally. I know him enough that he wasn't out beating the crap out of the boat and my friend vouches for him, but it does have a good bit of scratches and dings. Obviously I know any used boat could turn out great or a disaster, just thought maybe a few of you have a similar boat to what I've described and could share your thoughts and experiences on that. Thanks

The first thing I’d look for is blisters in the hull. If it does I’d walk away. That’s a few k right there.

3. Member
    Great hull and platform to fish from. At 800 hrs you are about halfway through it's life expand. That being said it is still a 15 year old motor. But if you like the boat it is still worth repowering with a new motor, I did.
    2004 Ranger 521VX with 2019 Evinrude G2 250 H.O.

4. Member
    I bought a 2002 over 6 years ago and it is one of the best platforms i've ever fished off of. I paid 14.5 and it had about 500 hours on 225 EFI. Like any older boat i'm always fixing little things like lights burning out, pumps, running new electronics etc...but the engine still running like brand new. Not going to win any races, but it shoots out of the hole and is wide, stable and dry. Not sure of the years blisters became a problem but i'm inclined to say it was after 04? For the right price and if you aren't fishing super competitive i'd say you will love it. I'd be sure to check for soft lids though.

5. Member
    Def bounce the motor to check for weak transom

As stated lids and transom check is in order. Lids are readily available thru Ranger parts. Bought mine couple years ago to replace 362V. That hull started the trend everyone eventually had to follow. The front deck is U shaped instead of V shaped. Couldn’t be happier with mine. That model is usually a very quick sale with good reason, don’t think you’d be disappointed. Blisters could be more prone after 03. That’s when EPA changed the rules on resins.
    2000 Ranger 520DVX 225hpdi

7. Member
    I have a 2003 520VX with a 225 Opti. I really like the boat. Takes waves very well and is stable. I’ve had to fix a lot of little things but it’s better than paying 60k for a new one. On another note check the trailer really good.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Billmc View Post
    I have a 2003 520VX with a 225 Opti. I really like the boat. Takes waves very well and is stable. I’ve had to fix a lot of little things but it’s better than paying 60k for a new one. On another note check the trailer really good.
    +1 forgot about that...I had to replace the entire brake/master cylinder actuator system first year. Not real difficult, but the spring in there doesn't last real long. Great boat though highly recommended.