Mercury 50 4 stroke with lower unit noise after impellar replacement

We recently replaced the water pump impeller, now with motor in forward we have a knocking noise it gets worse in reverse. I don"t have a serial # it has disappeared off of plate, impeller was linked to a 98 bigfoot. If we take the prop off and put it in gear on muffs there is no noise, I am at a loss, any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. Member
    Water pump aint going to knock..its rubber spinning...u sure u got thing lined up when u stuck the shaft on the gear shifter?i had a 60 bigfoot a swaped from prop to jet a 1000 times...hardest part was the rubber / plastic boot aillment

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontheduck View Post
    Water pump aint going to knock..its rubber spinning...u sure u got thing lined up when u stuck the shaft on the gear shifter?i had a 60 bigfoot a swaped from prop to jet a 1000 times...hardest part was the rubber / plastic boot aillment
    Yes,we had the thing off and on several times before we got it lined up, I know its not the pump, its almost like it isn't completely in gear,
    but only does it with prop on.

4. Member
    Shaft and your lower unit gear are not on the same page , its been a while since ive did it ..but u are inbetween gears or some thing like that , pull it back off an free spin the prop , use a vice grip on the shaft stub and make it all work on the ground as it should then line up everything from the barrel down and reinstall. My .02cents btw i could do mine in minutes...then the next time it would take 4ever > not much fun at 30 some degrees in a blowing wind on a river bank !

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontheduck View Post
    Shaft and your lower unit gear are not on the same page , its been a while since ive did it ..but u are inbetween gears or some thing like that , pull it back off an free spin the prop , use a vice grip on the shaft stub and make it all work on the ground as it should then line up everything from the barrel down and reinstall. My .02cents btw i could do mine in minutes...then the next time it would take 4ever > not much fun at 30 some degrees in a blowing wind on a river bank !
    That's the way we finally got it back together, I'm hoping the cable needs adjustment and that's all, we had the console off while we redid the carpet and may have tweaked them.

6. Member
    Still looking for answers, how hard is it to tear down the lower unit, found some metal on the drain plug.

I would agree with Dontheduck. I am willing to bet that metal is from the clutch dog not engaging. I assume you a talking about a 20 year old motor? Lots of wear on the dog and bearings, and just may be time rebuild or replacement.
    is there play on your prop shaft? In and out, up and down?
    The prop will cause more dynamic forces, thus causing more issues.