Nitro owners tell me like it is

Ok I have a 2019 X21 Xpress. I have run upon what I think is a deal on a 2019 Nitro z21. 250 pro xs 4 strike. Tell me about the ride & handling of the boat. Top speed in a real world. Will it ride and handle as good as the X21. What problems am I looking at down the rode.

I am thinking about going to a glass boat
    Thanks for your honest answer.
    Last edited by tharris811; 09-19-2019 at 06:11 PM.
    LIFE IS GOOD
    STILL CAN'T CATCH A FISH.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tharris811 View Post
    Ok I have a 2019 X21 Xpress. I have run upon what I think is a deal on a 2019 Nitro z21. 250 pro xs 4 strike. Tell me about the ride & handling of the boat. Top speed in a real world. Will it ride and handle as good as the X21. What problems am I looking at down the rode.

I am thinking about going to a glass boat
    Thanks for your honest answer.

I have a 19 Nitro z20 with a 250 pro xs 4 stroke and call me bias but i think it rides like a dream. Not sure how much smoother it could possibly get being it’s a watercraft and not a Cadillac. As for the motor, absolutely unreal. Baddest motor I’ve ever seen. For top speed I’ve seen 71 on gps just once right after I did the break in period. That is more than plenty for me. It’s a bassboat not a racecar. Actually considering selling it and getting a different toy. PM me if your interested

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tharris811 View Post
    Will it ride and handle as good as the X21. What problems am I looking at down the rode.Thanks for your honest answer.
    It'll ride better than the tin boat because of the hull and it's glass.... and same problems as any other boat.
    2015 Nitro Z-7 175 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by potomacbassin View Post
    It'll ride better than the tin boat because of the hull and it's glass.... and same problems as any other boat.
    Normally your statement is true but not with the X21. It has an incredibly soft ride. I was a marshall last year and rode in a Nitro Z21, Phoenix 921 and an Xpress X21. The X21 ride was better than the Nitro and on par with the Phoenix. The conditions were the same each day.

To the OP, If it is a deal on the Nitro and you are wanting out of the Xpress then go for it. Is the Nitro a new one?

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

5. Member
    glass always rides an fishes better than aluminum .

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    Normally your statement is true but not with the X21. It has an incredibly soft ride. I was a marshall last year and rode in a Nitro Z21, Phoenix 921 and an Xpress X21. The X21 ride was better than the Nitro and on par with the Phoenix. The conditions were the same each day.

To the OP, If it is a deal on the Nitro and you are wanting out of the Xpress then go for it. Is the Nitro a new one?
    Just my opinion as that is your's as well. I could say your statement is false as well. OP... take it for what it's worth. Only way for you to figure your question out is to ride in one... see if you can get a test ride with somebody and see if you can form your opinion.
    2015 Nitro Z-7 175 Pro XS

7. Member
    I just got my 2019 Nitro Z19 in April and i love the ride. I am having trouble getting top speed because of the chine walk but that will come in time and possibly a set up change. As far as the ride i think it is great and if you ever come to PA you could go for a ride. Also on that note i think the ride is depending on the driver. I have rode with guys that just beat the crap out of me. I have rode in other boats other than the Procraft that i used to own and the Nitro that i currently own. As far as problems i would have to agree with an earlier post that it would be the same as any other boat. All boats have issues of some kind. I owned my Procraft for 22 years and had next to nothing go wrong with it and hope i have the same with this one also. All just my opinion.

8. Member
    I have had just about every boat made. I was a touring pro for 8 yrs but quit to raise my kids. When I came back to fishing tournaments I didn't want any of the hassles or time requirements of running a pro team boat and don't need to boost my ego with stickers and pro team hats! lol! I bought a used 16 Z20 and ran it for 2 yrs and loved the boat. I just bought a new 19 Z21 with the 4 stroke in April from Pro Choice in Missouri and I am amazed at this boat! It is the best riding, handling and performance boat I have ever owned. I run 71 fully loaded with 2 people and 73 with one person. I ran Yamaha's for 10 years and always preferred them over Mercury but the 4 stroke is very impressive. And compared to the Z20 it does ride much better in big water. The key to the ride in any boat is the guy behind the wheel. Bad drivers can make any boat rough and vice versa. The guys at Pro Choice are hands down the best people anywhere to deal with. They sold me a boat when I really wasn't ready to buy and I'm a tough sell. I will never consider even talking to any one else in the future when I am ready to trade. Don't listen to all the talk about the problems of Nitro's They are not the same boat they were 10-20 years ago. I had one a long time ago and there is NO comparison. Despite being cheaper than other boats they are the best all around fishing boat on the market in MY opinion! And I could run any brand I wanted!

Got compliments on Rayburn this weekend on how well my boat handled the waves.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

10. Member
    Best ridding boat on the market,,period!!!. And I do not own one, I want one though!
    Yes better than a Phoenix and Basscat. Of course that is my opinion. Having fished BFL's and other draw tourneys in many different boats!! MY back does not lie!
    Interestingly, Ranger/s are the worst for my back, yes... I was surprised myself!

And most of this testing of my back was on,,,wait for....LAKE OF THE OZARKS on a relative calm days for the big cruisers!!. If you have never been there, imagine the ocean during a storm, it can be that bad. Update: Just noticed you are in AL, so you may have some experience with ocean inland lakes like LOZ....get the NITRO!

The Nitro's I had the pleasure to ride in handled LOZ like a Champ!! (pardon the pun).

The Merc 4stroke is absolutely amazing engine on any boat!
    Last edited by moetorola; 09-26-2019 at 12:18 PM.