Running 200xri after sitting for 7 years

So, after getting a newer motor, then a divorce and life getting in the way, I finally have my 95 xri (serial number 0G104371) with new controls, and gauges. I had an OMC that blew. I put new fuel lines, cleaned the tank, put a new fuel filter/water separator on, rebuilt the pulse pump, and removed the oil injection. The motor has been sitting for about 7 years but was running and had good compression.
    I plan on pulling the plugs and squirting fogging oil down, then turning the flywheel by hand.
    My next move will be to replace plugs, fill with new gas, and start. Is there any PM I can do to the injectors? Also after it runs I will replace the thermostats and impellor, or should I do this first? Am I missing any steps?

2. Member
    I would send injectors off to be cleaned and tested by a professional like European Marine. I would change with full water pump kit and thermostats first.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

^^^^^^^^^ and pull the heads to inspect for serious rust or bore scope it, and put the oil injection back on it
    Thank You Leon Pugh

4. Member
    7 yesrs you really need to completely revamp fuel inj system, elect pump , vst cleaned , all filters 3 of um,and inj serviced, remove advance mod and idle stabilizer and yes replace oiler and mix tank 50;1 for first at least 10 gals, gear oil and yes cooling sytm redo, don't chance it,they don't like lean or heat or both combined good luck
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Quote Originally Posted by Jdwelding View Post
    So, after getting a newer motor, then a divorce and life getting in the way, I finally have my 95 xri (serial number 0G104371) with new controls, and gauges. I had an OMC that blew. I put new fuel lines, cleaned the tank, put a new fuel filter/water separator on, rebuilt the pulse pump, and removed the oil injection. The motor has been sitting for about 7 years but was running and had good compression.
    I plan on pulling the plugs and squirting fogging oil down, then turning the flywheel by hand.
    My next move will be to replace plugs, fill with new gas, and start. Is there any PM I can do to the injectors? Also after it runs I will replace the thermostats and impellor, or should I do this first? Am I missing any steps?
    Id add the impeller to the first part but other than that you’re on the right track. Could run some seafoam thru the first tank top of you wanted.
    1995 Allison XB-2003 225 Super Mag. It's slow and I'm ok with that.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    7 yesrs you really need to completely revamp fuel inj system, elect pump , vst cleaned , all filters 3 of um,and inj serviced, remove advance mod and idle stabilizer and yes replace oiler and mix tank 50;1 for first at least 10 gals, gear oil and yes cooling sytm redo, don't chance it,they don't like lean or heat or both combined good luck
    I'm pulling the black boxes. Then I need to reset timing correct? What's the part numbers on the other fuel filters? What's the procedure on the VST? Just drain it?

First you Must have a mercury service Manuel. Go to European marine parts site to get one.http://www.europeanmarine.org/
    You must have this in your hand before you do anything
    If things are not clear come with specific questions
    Thank You Leon Pugh

I was in same situation as you awhile back. Sent my injectors to European marine. Installed fiber reeds, removed boxes(new bias wire), cleaned vst, new fuel lines, replaced oil in both tanks, new batteries...etc. you can send don the whole intake, if I did it again, I would also send him the complete vst. Vst is a pita to deal with and a lot of nla parts.

Dont stress about part numbers, just reach out to rhonda with your needs and she will hook you up

I pulled plugs and sprayed some fogging oil around each piston with the red straw attached, let sit a few days and turned flywheel back and forth a little and then sprayed a little more, repeat. Hold straw as you spray, dont want it popping off and shooting into hole, dont ask

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....342&highlight=
    Last edited by Haughton; 09-21-2019 at 08:05 AM.
    1999 ProGator 190V
    200 Mercury EFI 0G843298

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Haughton View Post
    I was in same situation as you awhile back. Sent my injectors to European marine. Installed fiber reeds, removed boxes(new bias wire), cleaned vst, new fuel lines, replaced oil in both tanks, new batteries...etc. you can send don the whole intake, if I did it again, I would also send him the complete vst. Vst is a pita to deal with and a lot of nla parts.

Dont stress about part numbers, just reach out to rhonda with your needs and she will hook you up

I pulled plugs and sprayed some fogging oil around each piston with the red straw attached, let sit a few days and turned flywheel back and forth a little and then sprayed a little more, repeat. Hold straw as you spray, dont want it popping off and shooting into hole, dont ask

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....342&highlight=
    Very helpful! Thank you

10. Member
    Ok, so I pulled the black boxes. Just a double check to make sure this is right. I'm supposed to hook the grey w/ tracer to ground AFTER timing? What about the green wires and the lavender one? The sensor also?
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. Member
    you can remove the water sens module on front too , tape purple wire and tape up green wires , remove knock sensor or not don't matter
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Gray with white tracer can be before or AFTER timing, really isn't going to make a lot of difference for purposes of setting timing.

STRONGLY encourage you to take the advice on the fuel system (above).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post

STRONGLY encourage you to take the advice on the fuel system (above).
    I plan on it. Sent you a PM