Can you fix a smashed/cut Transducer Cable???

I have a Helix 10 Mega Si/Di on my trolling motor. The tie wraps snapped and I crushed/cut the cable....not in half but enough to see inside the cable and make the transducer unusable. Any thoughts????

Thank you!!

2. Member
    I have had them repaired but never tried it myself.

3. Member
    Where have you had the repairs done?

4. Member
    TE connectivity makes several different splice kits for coax cable. I have used them for RG6 cable. pretty easy to do. Not sure if they come small enough for transducer cable. look them up.

5. Member
    I crushed mine badly, and cut most of the tiny wires inside. HB Helix 10 Mega DI transducer cable. HB said it needed to be replaced, as did several others. Found a local guy who does microsoldering. Took him 15 minutes, and it now works as good as new. Cost me 20 dollars. Although it is protected by shrink tubing, I would not trust it to be used below the water though. This repair is up high, and not subjected to being submerged.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

6. Member

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GHawk View Post
    Where have you had the repairs done?
    George Robinson at Marine Repair Center in Springfield did it but he retired and his son Scott is running the shop. I don’t know if he does that kind of work. You might give him a call. 417-833-9191

8. Member
    If you dont want it i will pay you to take it off your hands. I have been looking for something to practice on.

9. Member
    You can do it if you keep the solder joints small, stagger the splices so you don't get a huge lump in the line, and wrap the two wire pairs and whole bundle with foil tape, using liquid electrical tape under shrink wrap. It ain't fun, but it can be done. Unfortunately had to do it about a month ago. Transducer works perfectly, as far as I can tell. Big help was the $8 soldering jigamathing with magnifying glass, light, and alligator clips from Horror Freight.
    Last edited by granite; 10-02-2019 at 07:00 AM.

10. Member
    Or you can do it yourself for 25 bucks using the Airmar approved splice kit. IP67 waterproof when done. IP67 - submerged 3 Meters(9') for 30 minutes

https://www.imarineusa.com/AirmarD00...xoCHN0QAvD_BwE

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yupitsme View Post
    Or you can do it yourself for 25 bucks using the Airmar approved splice kit. IP67 waterproof when done. IP67 - submerged 3 Meters(9') for 30 minutes

This looks like the best option to me! Thanks!!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GHawk View Post
    This looks like the best option to me! Thanks!!
    Just an FYI... the link I posted is for a 10 conductor splice. That is NOT 10 wires that is 5 wires from each side. Airmar makes 4, 6, 10, 14, and 18 conductor splice kits. Once you get past the 10 conductor kit they get kinna pricey... But with what you have you're probably going to need the 18 conductor kit - 78.00bucks. But don't take my word for it. Determine how many conductors your cable has then get the appropriate kit.

13. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas

Kit is for DC and low frequency signals only ...not very good chance for impedance sensitive RF cable signal matching passing unreflected through the Transducer cable unless a TDR scope is available and used during assembly. It might make a sonar picture but won't have original detail.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 09-20-2019 at 05:11 PM.

14. Member
    Mmmmmm.... they, Airmar, markets a splice kit for the HB 18pin CHIRP cable. I understand that CHIRP is not HF but thought perhaps a portion of the 18 pin connector was indeed HF. If it won’t work.... it won’t work. Any suggestions to get him up and running short of a TDR monitored solder splice or a new transducer?

15. Member
    The main caution is not to attempt to repair unless you have experience in repairing similar cables. You can end up with bad results...either with interference due to shielding issue which can be bad on a TM installation or a failed expensive unit due to water intrusion or bad solder joint.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ezfishn View Post
    The main caution is not to attempt to repair unless you have experience in repairing similar cables. You can end up with bad results...either with interference due to shielding issue which can be bad on a TM installation or a failed expensive unit due to water intrusion or bad solder joint.
    HUH? Dont' do something because you've never done it before? How in the heck do you ever learn anything. Fearing bad results to the point of immobility will get you no where. All learning/knowledge is not found in a book.

17. Member
    HUH? Dont' do something because you've never done it before? How in the heck do you ever learn anything. Fearing bad results to the point of immobility will get you no where. All learning/knowledge is not found in a book.
    If you don't mind the outcome, then by all means go for it. Some people may not want to risk damage to an expensive piece of equipment. It was only a caution.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

18. Member
    Just cut the cable open and there is in fact 10 wires. Looks like solder and shrink. The splice is well above the water line so there are no worries about water. Wish me luck..

19. Member
    Don't forget to foil wrap the foiled pairs and the whole bundle

20. Member
    Yes, your SI/DI cable has a couple of more wires than my DI. I only have very basic soldering skills, so did not really feel qualified for micro soldering. Consequently, the 20 dollars I spent on repair by somebody with micro soldering skill was worth it for me. Mine works perfectly now. Good luck, and it should work if you follow Granite's suggestions. Let us know how it turns out.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S