Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Banned

2. Member
    Idk. It’s their business, I guess they can run it as they see fit

3. Member
    Other manufacturers will pick up the slack.
    Colt builds and sells an excellent rifle. However I can build one with similar or better parts for a lower price.

Colt bailing out of the market will mean nothing to AR buying public.
    JMHO.
    Go Gators!

4. Member
    Colt has been irrelevant for years

Sounds like they are dropping a less profitable product line. Lots of competition from lower price point suppliers. They'll continue to sell to government agencies which is probably where the juiciest profits are.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

6. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    I'll keep my 6920, thanks.

If I had one, I mean.
    Who controls John Gill?

Im thinking the way the market is flooded, there wasn't enough profit margin for them, I'm hoping they didn't cave in to public pressure.

I believe the government will progressively adopt the HK 416/417 platform. Colt is hedging their profitability by droping a product that they forcast to loose market share and getting the anti black rifle crowd off their trail in the process.

Maybe they will test the market again at a future date. But in this day and time the terms AR and AK are just too hot to have associated with your product name. They are identifiers the anti black rifle crowd has memorized.
    Last edited by Skeeterbait; 09-19-2019 at 03:55 PM.

9. Member
    It's a very crowded market. Most in the gun business refer to it as the Trump Slump which is people feel comfortable and not in a panic mode. It's just business.

Lots of manufacturers that did make AR type firearms are no longer in business. It's a business, like most any other, when there is not much of a demand the supply dwindles. Colt wasn't making enough money on this part of their business model. Because it's a gun doesn't make it any less of a business. Bottom Line is all that really matters.

If this segment of business changes and the demand becomes worthy of Colt making these firearms again, then I think they're going to market with it.

This isn't a political decision it's a decision based on profitability .

10. Member
    It's nice to have some Colts. I wouldn't part with any. Got one of the first 7.62x39s from Colt. The old guys at the hunt club were shocked that you could deer hunt with an AR. Keeping the range short, did just fine. From the first time I ever saw the tv series S.W.A.T I was hooked on the AR. Been around a bunch of them. Shot High Power matches. Play. Hunt. Love the name Colt, but honestly you can buy just about any name now ($500) and it will shoot better than most people holding it. PSA cheapest one will work just fine ($360 if you don't mind putting some springs in yourself). So sad that they are now seen as evil.

I'm afraid we are missing the point. This may turn into a Wal-Mart , Publix, Kroger deal. I'm really hoping not. Like someone else mentioned. They can build their on. That will be till the manufacturer stops selling a upper to the general public.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterbait View Post
    I believe the government will progressively adopt the HK 416/417 platform.
    Price per unit is still too high.

13. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Whopperstopper View Post
    It's a very crowded market. Most in the gun business refer to it as the Trump Slump which is people feel comfortable and not in a panic mode. It's just business.

Lots of manufacturers that did make AR type firearms are no longer in business. It's a business, like most any other, when there is not much of a demand the supply dwindles. Colt wasn't making enough money on this part of their business model. Because it's a gun doesn't make it any less of a business. Bottom Line is all that really matters.

If this segment of business changes and the demand becomes worthy of Colt making these firearms again, then I think they're going to market with it.

This isn't a political decision it's a decision based on profitability .
    disagree,,, they could have done it and not said a word and it would have basically gone unnoticed..
    they wanted it noticed..............

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

14. Member
    The reason they are doing this is because they are not competitive and will continue to focus on the LE/military segment.

The have been in money trouble for YEARS. I'm not sure what all they are making these days as far as AR parts. I know of one company that was making their lowers until that company cut them off due to financial reasons.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bshort View Post
    Price per unit is still too high.
    Colt wasn't exactly giving away their version. Any piston driven model is going to be higher, add in all the hoops of a gov contract and it gets even higher.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    Im thinking the way the market is flooded, there wasn't enough profit margin for them, I'm hoping they didn't cave in to public pressure.
    Not a chance they did this due to pressure from the public. The market is flooded and no manufacturer is making much money on the lower end stuff. Colt's low end AR's start at $800 for a flat top... people can find the same American made AR for under $450 if you look.

17. Member
    A company can only survive so long off of name alone.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterbait View Post
    I believe the government will progressively adopt the HK 416/417 platform.
    If I had to bet on it I'd say they will go with the SIG MCX/MPX in some variant.

19. Member
    I don't even remember where all mine are sir! somewhere around here there used to be a few but i haven't seen em in a while.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lakefolk View Post
    disagree,,, they could have done it and not said a word and it would have basically gone unnoticed..
    they wanted it noticed..............
    On my banned list.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast