Balsam/Bone Lake

Looking at taking a long weekend first part of October around Bone and Balsam lake, probably stay around Turtle Lake. Fished around here a lot growing up but haven’t been able to get back to the area for probably 10-15years.
    Anyone fish this area have any recommendations? I think some bad storms came through this area mid summer, not sure what water levels are like or what’s been good.
    Thanks for any tips, mostly targeting Bass, if fishing is slow will probably do some panfishing.

I've fished Balsam quite a bit over the years. Pretty lake with some cool structure but a lot of small LM probably due to the unfathomable 14" minimum size limit WI has. Fun lake to fish, just don't expect any/many bigguns. Never been on Bone. Had a fun day on Big Round early May this year catching quite a few up to 17-18".
    Last edited by Macsimus; 09-22-2019 at 06:30 AM.
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

3. Member
    10 miles straight west of Balsam is a boat ramp on the St. Croix river. Tie on a white swim jig with a white Skinny Dipper. Start fishing the rocks and head north, I was on the west side. Hammered 3lb. smallmouth on every section of rocks a couple years ago! When you come to weeds pick up the troller and go find more rocks.
    LEGEND ALPHA 199DCX / 225 PRO XS MERCURY

4. Member
    Thanks for the information. I was curious if Balsam is still full of smalls but I’ve never been on big round so that’s a good option. As far as the St.Croix goes I’ve never actually been on it and I cannot believe I never considered the smallies there. I’ll do a little research, and report back
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

5. Member
    I've fished Balsam 3 years ago. They were wanting people to keep the small bass. I caught a 3lb smallie there. I've been on that section of the St. Croix several times but not lately. That was definitely the best time using the swim jig.
    LEGEND ALPHA 199DCX / 225 PRO XS MERCURY