Battery Draining Issue

So it seems that something on my 2019 Z19 is draining amps from my starter battery even though the master power switch is turned off at the console as well as the main power switch in the battery compartment. I checked the power switch on the Ultrex and it's off as well...any ideas?? Fully charged the battery on Monday and it took about 45 minutes to fully charge the battery with a trickle charger first thing this morning. Interstate battery that came with the boat so it's only 12 months old.
    “Without uncompromising faith, no miracle can ever occur.” - Stan Kellner

Since it is the starter battery. Do you have Power Poles?
    2019 Nitro Z20
    2019 Pro XS 250 4 Stroke
    112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    Lowrance HDS 12 live
    Lowrance HDS 9 Live
    12" Atlas Hydraulic JP
    Dual 8' Power Pole Blades

Tow Vehicle
    2017 Toyota Tundra

3. Member
    No power poles.

4. Member
    Please explain your charging system. Do you have a three bank or two bank charger? Why do you use a trickle charger? And, if you used a trickle charger that only took 45 minutes to charge, then your battery couldn't have been that low. Most trickle chargers are two amps or less and take many hours to charge a low battery to capacity. Also, is your trolling motor wired to your starting battery?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by remaly181 View Post
    Please explain your charging system. Do you have a three bank or two bank charger? Why do you use a trickle charger? And, if you used a trickle charger that only took 45 minutes to charge, then your battery couldn't have been that low. Most trickle chargers are two amps or less and take many hours to charge a low battery to capacity. Also, is your trolling motor wired to your starting battery?
    All Great questions! On-board NOCO Genius 3 bank charger - used a trickle charger this past Monday on starter battery to see if it was a battery issue or issue with the on-board charger. The trickle charger took 45 minutes today to charge a battery that had been fully charged three days before. That's why I'm thinking something is draining amps from that battery.

No, trolling motor is wired to two separate batteries, but just wanted to note that it's power switch was turned off just to make sure.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twise7 View Post
    All Great questions! On-board NOCO Genius 3 bank charger - used a trickle charger this past Monday on starter battery to see if it was a battery issue or issue with the on-board charger. The trickle charger took 45 minutes today to charge a battery that had been fully charged three days before. That's why I'm thinking something is draining amps from that battery.

No, trolling motor is wired to two separate batteries, but just wanted to note that it's power switch was turned off just to make sure.
    Ok - thanks for the clarity! Maybe it's just me, but I don't think that 45 minutes on a trickle charger is evidence of a significant drain. Your graphs and any other electronics will have a parasitic drain.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by remaly181 View Post
    Ok - thanks for the clarity! Maybe it's just me, but I don't think that 45 minutes on a trickle charger is evidence of a significant drain. Your graphs and any other electronics will have a parasitic drain.
    Ok - just not used to it I guess. My previous boat's on-board charger would click to green in less than 60 seconds. But my Lowrance was mounted on a RAM mount and I removed it after every outing.

8. Member
    Just a guess, but you most likely have a group 24 starting battery. At least that is what Nitro usually uses, which is bare minimum. The new owner doesn't take into account running multiple graphs, power poles, livewells all day, radio, etc. Plus, it has to start the engine. The added parasitic drains from all of the blue tooth and whatnots also need to be accounted for. I recently switched to an X2 group 31 that hopefully resolves any of my prior consternation.

Longest my interstate staring battery would last was 14 month. Went through 3 of them before buying s "batteries plus x2 31 agm" thing has been a beast and so worth the money!
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

10. Member
    I wouldn't suspect parasitic drain if cutoff switches are being used. Most likely the difference in charging time is due to difference in charging amps between on-board and trickle charger and battery age. Had group 24 interstate on my boat from factory and lasted 2 1/2 years. It was still working but switched to group 31s due to adding new electronics. I don't believe they make them like they used to...LOL
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

11. Member
    Thanks guys! HS Tourney tomorrow so hopefully won't have any battery issues.